07-12-17 Like Sonya did

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

riflow

Re: 07-12-17 Like Sonya did

Post by riflow »

I genuinely feel sorry for drummer dude, I feel bad for Yuki and Sonya too but it's a real a hole move to just up and kick someone out like that.

Also I thoroughly dislike zii and angel so for me this arc will be a real test of patience. I miss ruby more and more as the weeks roll by.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:02 am
The way Zii treated Angel and how she treated Sonya are one in the same; in both cases, Zii had an excuse for her actions - even though she was well aware (or should have been) that her actions would end up hurting someone she claimed to care about.
In the Sonya case, yes; in the Angel case, I’m not seeing it.
In Angel's case: Sure, Zii knew Angel was obsessed with Jerzy; but, Jerzy and Angel weren't a couple at that point - and besides! - Angel was only dating women, at that time; so, Zii sleeping with Jerzy was totally okay and Angel simply overreacted.
Yes, that’s Zii’s story — and it actually appears to be 100% true. I’ll believe Zii when she says that she didn’t know that Angel had a thing for Jerzy (because, like I said, no fit state to lie at the time), and we know that Jerzy was trying to distance himself from Angel (though actually he’s the one who should really have known better). Then, when the damage was done, Angel went berserk, and there was no fixing the situation. We’ve seen Angel physically assaulting Zii over this quite recently, while Zii rolls her eyes, repeats the same story, and does stuff like telling Angel about the dangers of that breast-binding method. Yep, Zii acts like the adult there. Which says plenty about Angel.
In Sonya's case: Sure, Zii knew that Sonya was utterly obsessed with her; but, Sonya said that she was okay with having a 'friends with benefits' arrangement (i.e. - no commitments!). So, it's totally okay for Zii to have sex with Didi in Sonya's apartment; even though Sonya made it clear she was not okay with that. Zii and Sonya weren't a couple - so, Sonya is simply overreacting.
The difference here is that, if Zii was even faintly honest with herself, she’d know this was pure bullshit. Sonya’s obsession with her has been blindingly obvious for months, whatever Sonya says, and the promise not to have sex with DiDi in Sonya’s bed was just that — a flat promise.

Zii does a lot of stupid shit for which the hater-fans are fully free to hold her responsible, so there’s just no need to invent more; the Angel issue, as it’s been depicted in these comics, as entirely down to Angel. Which is plausible, because Angel’s stalker-y attitude to Jerzy is downright creepy and scary. (Yes, Sonya is bad, but she doesn’t try to control who Zii talks to.) It’s possible that the writers mean to imply that Zii had some fault there, but if so, they’ve neglected to show it.

Now, if you’re saying that Zii will spin both stories to herself the same way, you may well be right; ducking responsibility for her actions is Zii’s thing. It’s just unfortunate that Angel has presented her with one case where “It’s not my fault” happens to be God’s honest truth.

(Zii does appear to have been cheating on Yuki when she screwed Jerzy, but the Zii/Yuki clusterfudge is a whole other issue.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Fluffy wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:02 am
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:58 pm
Yes, previous to that (so far as I can work out), Zii screwed Jerzy, with whom Angel is obsessed, which is what destroyed her songwriting partnership with Angel. However, she claimed that she thought that Angel was strictly into women at the time -- and as she was in mid-orgasm when she said that, I doubt that she was in a fit state to lie. Furthermore, this was apparently when Jerzy was specifically denying being Angel's boyfriend (because those two are frankly messed up together). So while Zii has frequently been an idiot, that particular screw-up appears to be entirely down to Angel.

The way Zii treated Angel and how she treated Sonya are one in the same; in both cases, Zii had an excuse for her actions - even though she was well aware (or should have been) that her actions would end up hurting someone she claimed to care about.

In Angel's case: Sure, Zii knew Angel was obsessed with Jerzy; but, Jerzy and Angel weren't a couple at that point - and besides! - Angel was only dating women, at that time; so, Zii sleeping with Jerzy was totally okay and Angel simply overreacted.

In Sonya's case: Sure, Zii knew that Sonya was utterly obsessed with her; but, Sonya said that she was okay with having a 'friends with benefits' arrangement (i.e. - no commitments!). So, it's totally okay for Zii to have sex with Didi in Sonya's apartment; even though Sonya made it clear she was not okay with that. Zii and Sonya weren't a couple - so, Sonya is simply overreacting.

Unless an epiphany kicks Zii squarely in the ass so hard that it sends to crashing head first into a concrete wall, Zii is never going to acknowledge her part of the blame in these messy breakups. In her view; it;s everyone else overreacting.
Wrong.

Zii had no right to sleep with Didi in Sonya's apartment. Zii was staying with Sonya as a curtesy and Sonya made it perfectly clear what the rule of her apartment was, when she left and Zii was alone in the apartment with Didi. No sex in her apartment.

Zii and Didi could have easily went anywhere else. Hell, Zii and Didi could have just as easily went back to Didi's place, which Zii used to live in and no one kicked her out.

Zii even knew she was breaking the rule made by the one who not only owned the apartment, she knew how that person felt for her.

Didi also encouraged her to break the rule.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Hell, they could have just gone downstairs and done it in Nielsen's van.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 5:42 pm
Zii had no right to sleep with Didi in Sonya's apartment. Zii was staying with Sonya as a curtesy and Sonya made it perfectly clear what the rule of her apartment was, when she left and Zii was alone in the apartment with Didi. No sex in her apartment.

Zii and Didi could have easily went anywhere else. Hell, Zii and Didi could have just as easily went back to Didi's place, which Zii used to live in and no one kicked her out.
The interesting question is whether the writers had that happen because it was simpler than Zii and DiDi choosing to finesse around a promise clearly given, or whether they consciously wanted Zii to add insults and broken promises to what was always going to be a hard break-up. Because if they had gone to the trouble to go somewhere else, it might have been possible for Zii to retain a tiny bit of sympathy; break-ups aren't fun, but she'd at least have acknowledged that there was a problem, and yes, she had always tried to tell Sonya this wasn't supposed to be a serious relationship. But by breaking the letter as well as the spirit of her promise, in quite such a frikkin' cold-hearted way, she slipped across a definite line.

Did the the writers mean for her to label herself as quite such a shit? Well, the scene just gone with the phone call makes it clear that her DiDi-lust is being incredibly bad for her. So I'd guess yes.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

I'd say yes as well. Furthermore, it seems to me that Zii's lust for DiDI is every bit as obsessive as Sonya's feelings for Zii. And yes, Zii has allowed that unbridled lust to lead her to some dark places, as has been seen over the past several strips. But like I said, I doubt very much that she'll stop to look inside herself to see her part in the resulting clusterfudge; Zii was never an introspective type.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Not unless her back is to the wall and her emotions have slipped her control and capacity for self-deception, anyway.

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

I am surprised about the timing of Ziis reaction. She was taking the news about Yuki joining Angel pretty well (not that she was particularly happy about the idea of Yuki joining her band in the first place), but she was shocked when she realized Sonya did the same. I mean, she did know Sonya quit.
Is she shocked because the trianglist managed to join another band? or is it Angel "stealing" both of her band mates at once? or Sonya conspiring against her and stealing Yuki? Hmm...

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

D: All of the above.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I was a little puzzled by that myself, but my best guess was that one of her band going off to Angel was bad and annoying, but maybe fixable in some way, and anyhow she’d managed to process that news; learning that they’d both gone felt like a conspiracy to chop her legs off, requiring much more than twice as much fixing, and left her to be totally humiliated when the world found out.

But I guess we’ll find out tomorrow.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

There's also the bit where Yuki seems to matter more to Ms. Nielsen than Sonya ever seems to have done.
At one time, she willingly lived together with Yuki, and I seem to recall her saying she would always love Yuki. (Of course the next word she said was "but", but let's not open that can of worms right now.)
In contrast, Sonya did all the chasing once Nielsen had gotten her into bed.

Yuki leaving would be bad. Yuki being 'seduced' away by Sonya in cahoots with Angel? Intolerable.

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

brasca wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 6:40 pm
cheshire86 wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 5:56 pm
Welp, looks like the Troublemakers have left the building. Long live Zii and the Helpers! :D
Sounds like a band you’d hire for high school public service announcements.
Doesn't it? Might be the only gigs Zii's band will get in the future. :) "Hi, kids, I'm Zii, and they're the Helpers! We're here to rap a bit about drugs! Remember... only dopes... use dope!"

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

Error of Logic wrote:
Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:57 pm
There's also the bit where Yuki seems to matter more to Ms. Nielsen than Sonya ever seems to have done.
At one time, she willingly lived together with Yuki, and I seem to recall her saying she would always love Yuki. (Of course the next word she said was "but", but let's not open that can of worms right now.)
In contrast, Sonya did all the chasing once Nielsen had gotten her into bed.

Yuki leaving would be bad. Yuki being 'seduced' away by Sonya in cahoots with Angel? Intolerable.
I'm glad to find I'm not the only one confused by those reactions...
Zii knew that Sonya left the band, but not that she had gone over to Angel's; she didn't know that Yuki had left the band & neither knew that she had gone over to Angel's; yet after learning about the last two she took it in stride all cool-like, while after finding that Sonya 'betrayed' her for Angel she totes exploded!
... I can only think we are supposed to assume Sonya matters to her more than she was willing to admit? maybe she was still taking her for granted even after the breaking up, the anger, all that?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Zii doesn't even deserve such helpful bandmates...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)