Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

07-12-17 Like Sonya did

Post by Giz »

suranae

Re: 07-12-17 Like Sonya did

Post by suranae »

Down comes the hammer of realization. Will it land? No one knows.

Treader

Post by Treader »

Is it still 'chickens coming home to roost' if everyone leaves?

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

So Zii now has the ammo to blame Yuki's defection on Sonya's resentment at being snubbed by Zii, as opposed Zii facing facts that she was not giving her own band she frontman's for the respect it was due to its diligent member(s). Dammit, I really wanted her to not start down this path.

Looks like Zii has some work to do. Self-improvement or polishing rocks into a new rock band?
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Plot-significant thought this sequence of strips is, I still can't help feeling that it's being dragged out at least twice as long as it needs to be. When you get a character repeating what she just said in a four-panel strip, when every panel usually does something a little bit new, you need an editor to punch things up a bit.

Anyhow, I think (or maybe hope) that the joke here is that Zii has a "new band" who are completely unfit for purpose, and she'll just have to keep fending them off while she tries to process the fact that she's sleepwalked into a deep hole that will take a lot of climbing out of. Now, has she actually forgotten that Sonya quit -- though she was told loud and clear -- or is it the fact that Sonya managed such an elegantly vengeful recovery that's shocked her here?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I still feel sorry for Terry. Poor guy.

As for Ms. Nielsen ... Well. I would not mind her half as much if she ever learned her bloody lesson. And if she stopped inserting herself between people already in a relationship.
If the truth that she is the one who drove her friends away manages to penetrate her thick skull, well and good. If she goes down the route of "Angel seduced my bandmates and they betrayed me!", my Schadenfreude at her ongoing pratfalls will be well-nourished, methinks.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

If she manages to convince herself that Angel seduced Sonya away from her, then yes, she'll be depicted as a self-deluded, self-pitying fool. Sonya walked for clear reasons, and said she was doing so loud and clear. She might have to be told that Sonya didn't speak to Angel until after she'd quit, but if she decides that Sonya's departure had nothing to do with her own behaviour, it'll be an act of appalling mental gymnastics.

If she decides that "Angel and Sonya seduced Yuki away", well, she'll have a fraction of a point; Angel and Sonya are kind of conspiring against her. But the fact that the people who are conspiring against her are an ex-musical collaborator and an ex-lover should really tell her something about the way she handles relationships. She'd just have a small excuse for taking a strip or two more to get there.

The other question is whether she'll talk to another grown-up about her problems. She knows that she won't get much sympathy from Peggy, but again, she ought to think about why that is. I suspect that she might try turning to Gary for moral support, only for him to have one of his "actually, umm, you're sort of, er, in the wrong" moments. And I'd love to see her explain the whole thing to Ruby, only for Ruby to just look at her. But I suspect that's unlikely.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm
And I'd love to see her explain the whole thing to Ruby, only for Ruby to just look at her. But I suspect that's unlikely.
That would be awesome :)

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 1:49 pm
The other question is whether she'll talk to another grown-up about her problems. She knows that she won't get much sympathy from Peggy, but again, she ought to think about why that is. I suspect that she might try turning to Gary for moral support, only for him to have one of his "actually, umm, you're sort of, er, in the wrong" moments. And I'd love to see her explain the whole thing to Ruby, only for Ruby to just look at her. But I suspect that's unlikely.
Zii seems to have history crying on Amber's shoulder.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Good point. And the thing there would probably be that, while Amber has some funny standards and priorities, she’s highly suspicious of DiDi.

But Amber has, canonically, been a bit preoccupied lately.
---------
Spidrift

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

I am baffled how much people hate on Zii for things that Sonya did to herself. Sonya lied to Zii, then took advantage of Zii's weakened emotional state, and finally acts as if Zii cheated on her when she herself claimed their relationship was just "friends with benefits". This isn't about Zii skipping the one band practice (not talking about the current one but the last one) it's about Zii boning Didi when she promised not to Sonya. Sonya has done everything out of extremely selfish reasons, lies to everyone and now acts like woman scorned going the jealous ex-girlfriend route while never being girlfriend in the first place and never expressed her love to Zii, instead just lieing to Zii's face about how their sex was just for fun.

As much as I dislike Zii, and I really do, Sonya is the bigger bitch here.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Sonya certainly didn’t behave especially well. But as Peggy told Zii, it’s been blatantly obvious since forever that she was obsessed with Zii. And then, Zii did specifically promise not to bone DiDi, then did so — in Sonya’s own damn bed, even, to add a really huge insult to the first injury.

It’s not saying anything nice about Sonya at all to say that Zii has been stupid, self-deluding, lust-crazed, and unreliable. And now, she’s so fixated on DiDi that she’s forgetting about the band she supposedly values so highly, and acting surprised when its members get pissed off with her. Compared to that, even an self-deceiving, obsessive wannabe femme fatale like Sonya ends up looking good. Throw in the fact that Sonya, since she got over her initial tears, has been playing the proud and focussed woman scorned like a mistress of the art, and, well, yeah, Go Team Sonya. At least she’s being bad with style.
---------
Spidrift

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

UnsightlyWalrus wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:59 pm
I am baffled how much people hate on Zii for things that Sonya did to herself. Sonya lied to Zii, then took advantage of Zii's weakened emotional state, and finally acts as if Zii cheated on her when she herself claimed their relationship was just "friends with benefits". This isn't about Zii skipping the one band practice (not talking about the current one but the last one) it's about Zii boning Didi when she promised not to Sonya. Sonya has done everything out of extremely selfish reasons, lies to everyone and now acts like woman scorned going the jealous ex-girlfriend route while never being girlfriend in the first place and never expressed her love to Zii, instead just lieing to Zii's face about how their sex was just for fun.

As much as I dislike Zii, and I really do, Sonya is the bigger bitch here.
Sonya's lies to Zii were so blatantly obvious, it was pathetic how dumb Zii was being. Or rather self deluded. After all, she knew how Sonya felt about her, when she had sex with Didi at Sonya's place.

Also, Zii did promise not to. Also, Zii could have easily took Didi somewhere else and she HAD to have sex with her at Sonya's place, but no, she knowingly did it at Sonya's when she knew Sonya had a thing for her.

Also, Sonya did tell Zii before, that's what makes Zii's delusion worse. Zii has no one to blame but herself. There's no blaming Sonya. Zii's a grown adult who really should've known better. She's not a teen. She's an adult. :p

Not to mention, it's past mistakes that she's made before. It's how she screwed up the last band. She knew Angel was into someone. She went and had sex with that person anyways, because Angel wasn't with him.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Aww, Izz.

She's the most pure-hearted, innocent, angelic character in this story. :x

And to think y'all were certain she was a crazy stalker, or a deranged schemer who wanted to replace Zii, or some other variety of psycho...
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Dec 07, 2017 3:35 pm
Not to mention, it's past mistakes that she's made before. It's how she screwed up the last band. She knew Angel was into someone. She went and had sex with that person anyways, because Angel wasn't with him.
Okay, mandatory pedantry time, because people seem determined to get this wrong:

1. That's nothing to do with what screwed up Zii's last band. That imploded when Yuki went apeshit on stage and assaulted a famous rock band, after which nobody would book them anymore, and the other two members (who didn't include Angel) quit.

2. Yes, previous to that (so far as I can work out), Zii screwed Jerzy, with whom Angel is obsessed, which is what destroyed her songwriting partnership with Angel. However, she claimed that she thought that Angel was strictly into women at the time -- and as she was in mid-orgasm when she said that, I doubt that she was in a fit state to lie. Furthermore, this was apparently when Jerzy was specifically denying being Angel's boyfriend (because those two are frankly messed up together). So while Zii has frequently been an idiot, that particular screw-up appears to be entirely down to Angel.

Can we put this one to bed now, please?
---------
Spidrift