Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

28-11-17 Fight for her

Post by Giz »

Passing Through

Re: 28-11-17 Fight for her

Post by Passing Through »

Well played Sonya. Zii has no one but herself to blame for this. Not that she appears to care.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

As horrible as Zii and DiDi are, can't deny the erotic power of that display. Even beyond the sex appeal, the art is especially effective at delivering and emphasising the emotions of the scenes: from Yuki's concerned expression to her ultimate incredulity/shock as she realises Zii is the worst, also Sonya's smug - if righteous - sense of being proven right in the final frame (epic lip curl! :) )
Anyway, yeah, I do like that Yuki proves her loyalty by checking the facts, so I'm on her side if she opts to join Angel's band - well, it'd be best if she simply quit the band, without joining another band with another terrible person leading it (albeit in different and perhaps less horrid ways than Zii...)

Yuki shouldn't stay in Zii's band either; perhaps harsh to say, yet can't feel thinking that Zii deserves to have her musical dreams crash and burn, largely due to her apprensible irresponsibility with just about every relationship, as well as her hedonism being her priority. Judging by her elation with banging her ultimate prize, it is tough to tell whether Zii will even notice her band has evaporated, though if she does and acts surprised or sad, then I don't sympathise with her in the least.

Edit: I also like that Yuki tries to appeal - if unwanted - on Sonya's behalf for Zii to put some damn effort into maintaining her exceptional and increasingly popular band; perhaps Yuki has *softened* her hatred of Sonya due to their multiple, bizarre sexcapades, however, it seems more likely that Yuki has some pragmatism, thus knows Sonya's talent is worth keeping in the Troublemakers... Though, the band itself is being destroyed by its leader's apathy, so as admirable as Yuki's plea is, it seems to be in vain.

Badman!

Post by Badman! »

Zii, you better be bracing for a gigantic karmic strike...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ooh, I knew that I had the right instincts about Sonya. She knew exactly how things would go, and she moved at exactly the right moment. Not nice, but not wrong either. Screw Gary and his "Maybe I could try not jumping into wood chippers" breakthrough; this whole comic has turned out to be about Sonya realising her potential.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am
As horrible as Zii and DiDi are, can't deny the erotic power of that display. Even beyond the sex appeal, the art is especially effective at delivering and emphasising the emotions of the scenes: from Yuki's concerned expression to her ultimate incredulity/shock as she realises Zii is the worst, also Sonya's smug - if righteous - sense of being proven right in the final frame (epic lip curl! :) )
Agreed. This strip is one of Giz's masterpieces.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 11:13 am
Edit: I also like that Yuki tries to appeal - if unwanted - on Sonya's behalf for Zii to put some damn effort into maintaining her exceptional and increasingly popular band; perhaps Yuki has *softened* her hatred of Sonya due to their multiple, bizarre sexcapades, however, it seems more likely that Yuki has some pragmatism, thus knows Sonya's talent is worth keeping in the Troublemakers...
Yuki and Sonya's relationship is interestingly complex. Their mutual hatred was always a bit ... theatrical. Performative. (Put it another way - one could just yell "Get a Room!" at them.) It's now mutated through hatred and lust to friendship. A long strange journey, but they've got there.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Those two last strip are so good. Yuki and Sonya still interacting without drama, Yuki recognising the band needs Sonya, even stepping up for her to Zii. Angel offering Yuki a spot, recognising her talent. The little bit about Yuki and Sonya locking up well was funny XD
Kinda sad about the last panel, but at least Yuki can see things clearly now.
The art even feels better. Damn that was pleasant to read.
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

I like nothing better than a strip where Sonya triumphs. B-)

I kinda wonder, is DiDi neglecting her responsibilities as well?

Last time I checked, Zii had a job at the comic shop and her budding band to take care of, while DiDi was a bar waitress and had wrestling on the side.

We know Zii is still working at the shop; I guess we should assume Didi is still being a proper waitress at the bar... but what about her potential wrestling career?
Last edited by Vitocap on Sat Dec 02, 2017 5:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Zii's a bit distracted at the moment, I'm willing to bet she won't even remember this conversation later.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

And if she said so later to Yuki, and explained what the distraction was, do you think that would make this any better?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Zii...Zii...Zii *shakes head*

I think what may turn into the real issue for Zii, is Didi will end up leaving her too. This will all turn out to be just physical and she'll move on to someone else. :p

SailorDh

Post by SailorDh »

And people wonder why I have so much hate for Zii...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Just as I thought Zii doesn't really care about her band now that she has Didi. The look on Yuki's and Sonya's faces in the last panel is just priceless.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Tue Nov 28, 2017 1:56 pm
I think what may turn into the real issue for Zii, is Didi will end up leaving her too. This will all turn out to be just physical and she'll move on to someone else.
Actually, the “just physical” thing seems to be on Zii’s side. DiDi has to persuade herself that a relationship is emotional before she can attain orgasm; Zii told her months ago that her feelings were raw lust, and it was Zii who got all fascinated and wanted to join in when Sonya tried to seduce DiDi.

Zii is currently drunk on DiDi, and as someone said, DiDi’s past male lovers show that that’s a state which can last a while. But if and when Zii comes off the DiDi high and notices what she’s done to her band, the crash will likely be hard.
---------
Spidrift

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

That happened. That is a real burn to Yuki and Zii deserves the repercussions. Zii's cult of personality is shrinking, and she's too drunk on Didi to care. I wonder if the acoustics in the rehearsal studio could pick up the sound of Yuki's gut punch.

Yuki might get angry enough to also quit, and no one could blame her. But I figure she is just as prone to leave the Electric Toyz's rehearsal studio in tears, start packing up her drums, and seek some solace elsewhere... Gary's arms perhaps. Which would also place her in close proximity to another possible somewhat likely event: telling Zii to get her head out of Chastel's cooter and take a breath. Yuki is prone to violence as a reaction, or to strongly manhandle her acquaintances into doing things her way. Revenge 'switching sides' on a whim doesn't seem to be in her character, even if it means being more rockstar-like. Yuki's only employment passion seems to be her (still unfinished) manga. Playing drums is a fun pastime, one that can lead to more glory & fame of course. But she, like Sonya, was there for Zii.

With no band or likely prospect of fame, I wonder what Izzy will do? I severely doubt she will just sit around an empty studio, awaiting Zii like some sort of puppy dog. She's proven to be quite... persistent... at getting into places. She could the one to tell Zii that she's screwing herself out of her own band and dumping on her friends. I would enjoy seeing a strip of Izzy either facing off against Zii; or, a strip of Izzy in a mirror altering her physical appearance into that of another idol (assumingly from the strip somehow... a wrestling tie-in perhaps?) It would be a super bombshell to add to the rest of the ordinance about to explode around Zii.

As far as Sonya goes, kudos for her. Her smug contentment is deserved. I'm not denying her growth as a character, but I still feel her growth is as a result of Zii's negative influence. The characters in the strip don't live in a vacuum, I realize. But I will feel more satisfied in her overall character development once I see her completely divorce her actions/personal success from Zii's shadow. Sonya falling back in love/lust again with someone, regardless of gender identities... or succeeding in a meaningful career not related to rock music. To me, those would mean more. I realize that the strip's 4-panel architecture combined with this being the (assumed) final volume make that unrealistic. I guess all I am saying is that I feel Sonya has just replaced 'love/lust' with ire towards Zii, and her flare for being dramatic is carrying her. An eventual time skip will be needed to prove if she cares more about music and is successful on her own for her own sake, than as way to show Zii the errors of her ways.

Interesting bit of symbolism: the character choices for the sides of the dakimakura/body pillow case that was offered as an adder was well thought out (or lucky happenstance). I backed Vol. 8's Kickstarter and received one. It features Didi on one side and Zii on the other. Both are two sides of the same comfort. As characters go, they are soft and enjoyable to have in bed. But both the pillow(case) and the characters themselves are full of fluff and have little to offer of substance apart from their bedroom use. And eventually one has to get out of bed and get on with the rest of their day, leaving the ladies/pillow back in bed. I'm still working out if there is some psychological symbolism to me coming back to them though, considering their bad influence on the ones they purport to care about. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. BTW: the pillow case is nice and comfortable. Thanks for offering it Giz.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Izzy's reactions indeed remain to be seen and may be interesting. But it occurs to me that it might be in character for her to be glad of Sonya and Yuki's departure, so (she may think) she can have Zii to herself when she does finally return to the rehearsal room. Izzy's fixation never looked exactly healthy.
---------
Spidrift