25-11-17 Jigsaw pieces

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 25-11-17 Jigsaw pieces

Post by Spidrift »

It’s still technically Zii’s band (“Zii and the Troublemakers”), and it hasn’t officially folded yet. And even if Sonya quit (slightly) before getting an offer from Angel, that won’t be the case with Yuki.

I think that people will see this as defection, whether out of a sense of betrayal (Zii) or for purposes of gloating (Angel).
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Waker

Post by Waker »

Azrael wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 4:59 pm
By Bat-O-Gram? He bites the head off as a metaphor for Zii's band aspirations?
Meant to say Izzy. I have a ferret named Ozzy, so my phone auto-corrected to that.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

TMI, Sonya, TMI! Do you really think Angel needs to know the details of your love life?
:p

brasca

Post by brasca »

No, but I still enjoy trips down memory lane.

Yuki might join Angel’s band if she thinks back on all the times Zii avoided her instead of telling her how she felt. Sonya might take her down that trip too.

uzivatel

Post by uzivatel »

Spidrift wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 6:22 pm
It’s still technically Zii’s band (“Zii and the Troublemakers”), and it hasn’t officially folded yet. And even if Sonya quit (slightly) before getting an offer from Angel, that won’t be the case with Yuki.

I think that people will see this as defection, whether out of a sense of betrayal (Zii) or for purposes of gloating (Angel).
Sure, Zii may be searching for a new band member, off-screen. Maybe she did not tell Yuki, because she wants to surprise her. Maybe.
But as far as Yuki knows, Zii and the Troublemakers is reduced to a single Troublemaker. Yuki may be "team Zii", but at this point, there may be no "band Zii", in which case Angel is talented musician who apparently needs a better drummer. Someone like her..
Last edited by uzivatel on Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Just because it needs to be said: Sonya is saying that she "doesn't want anything to do with" Zii, but she really does. She wants to hurt her. There might be some side benefits to playing music in Angel's band now (most likely of which, is actually getting to rehearse or get a gig). She would absolutely not pass up the opportunity to gloat in front of Zii. This is drama, plain and simple. There's only two things Zii cares about: getting laid and music. Sonya lost in the first arena, now she's going to take away Zii's other love. But without tasting Zii's tears or some other new satisfaction, I don't anticipate Sonya keeping interest as an Electric Toy. Although if she keeps her costume (or at least the ears) she could be a Rabbit adult toy!

Angel either has bad taste in selecting bandmates, is hyper-critical and kicks them out, or the band members leave on their own due to Angel's insults. Angel does seem rather mercurial. No doubt Yuki & Sonya are talented enough. But one has to wonder how much Sonya (and potentially Yuki) would be able to stomach Angel's attitude. Their mutual dislike of Zii (and her current bed partner) can logically only go so far, if Angel really is serious about pursuing a musical career... and by extension the rest of the current cast in the strip.

Unless Yuki gets an unhealthy dose of peer pressure, I don't think she will go to Angel's band immediately. As pointed out, she is loyal to Zii and is super-polite. It just isn't in her nature. I could see her trying to mess with Didi, verbally at least, for taking Zii away from the rest of her friends (and stealing Yuki's lovers btw). But if Zii gets butthurt about Sonya leaving and Yuki reminding Zii that she's neglecting her obligation to the rest of the band... not to mention even having the courtesy to tell Yuki & Jung that Sonya quit (and why)... I could see Zii being petulant and disbanding the band. Only, she'll come to regret it later on.

I also expect that any way it goes, Zii (& Didi to a degree) are going to be getting a lot of shade thrown their way due to their newfound lovelife. How this will impact Didi's wrestling pastime, I don't know (and no, that is not a good enough excuse to flip over to that arc, please). I'd assume negligibly, unless Didi somehow gets seduced by Annie Conda and Didi leaves Zii. Then Zii would be left without a place to stay that is hers, a band, very few friends who could help support her, and no ultimate amazon.

I also hope that Yuki will come to Gary's flat. Those two need some time together, to sort out if they want to pick up where they left off. Go Yuki/Gary ship!
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

uzivatel wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:26 pm
Zii may be searching for a new band member, off-screen. Maybe she did not tell Yuki, because she wants to surprise her. Maybe.
Nah. This is the second time that Zii has missed a band practice, and the first time was before Sonya quit — which is wasting money as well as pissing off Yuki. And remember Zii only the other day, rushing home from work and tearing her clothes off in her haste to get back to screwing DiDi.

She’s drunk on the Amazon, even worse than most of DiDi’s lovers. Which may make the burnout and comedown sooner and worse, perhaps.
worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 pm
But without tasting Zii's tears or some other new satisfaction, I don't anticipate Sonya keeping interest as an Electric Toy.
Do you really not think that, even subtracting Zii, even subtracting sex, Sonya would love being in a reasonably successful rock band? All that attention and energy and drama? It’s so very, very her.

(One day, maybe soon, maybe years from now, Sonya will understand an£ admit what Zii really did for her; expanded her horizons a thousand times over. The infatuation was likely just a side-effect of that.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

With few exceptions for the infirm and/or geriatric, who wouldn't want to be a rock star? She joined the band to be close(r) to Zii. Is she a competent bassist? Sure. But she wasn't pointed that way, even by a long shot, when we were introduced to her in the strip. She was/is still a waitress. And while there are plenty of musicians who took jobs in that line of work before their fame, I don't recall her mentioning that she was doing it for the money/fame/power. She was there for Zii's behalf, and to get some action on the side by proximity.

It brings up two questions: how does Sonya afford her place by herself? And, yes, is she being more active in the music business in order to be successful and have her revenge that way?

No idea on the first one; maybe her tips are amazing or she's embezzling money/product/food. As to the second, it could be so. But I think she just wants revenge to the point where she has gotten satisfaction over Zii, the limits to which will certainly be modified by how lucrative/drama-sensual Angel has their band achieve.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

dewelar

Post by dewelar »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sat Nov 25, 2017 10:27 pm
Then Zii would be left without a place to stay that is hers, a band, very few friends who could help support her, and no ultimate amazon.
Hmmm...this would fit in quite nicely with my theory that there will be narrative bookending across the strip in its entirety. This is, after all, why Zii wound up moving in with Gary, so having it also happen to her on the way out would be fitting.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Sun Nov 26, 2017 12:59 am
With few exceptions for the infirm and/or geriatric, who wouldn't want to be a rock star?
Shy people?

(Seriously. There are many ways to succeed in life; seriously wanting to make it as a rocker requires an extrovert exhibitionist personality.)
Is she a competent bassist? Sure. But she wasn't pointed that way, even by a long shot, when we were introduced to her in the strip.
Indeed. She was, as she says herself, very different then. That’s the point with Sonya; she’s had more character development than anyone else in the strip (except now Gary, and with Sonya it was gradual rather than being a magic transformation). She’s not necessarily a better person, but she’s a much more interesting and dynamic one. She thought she was just chasing Zii, but actually she was blossoming as her own person (and shifting from rather quiet and unassertive to extrovert and exhibitionist).
It brings up two questions: how does Sonya afford her place by herself? And, yes, is she being more active in the music business in order to be successful and have her revenge that way?
Last time I raised the first one, I was assured that rents in Montreal are pretty cheap. I suspect there’s still some artistic license there, but apparently not too much. As to the second; yep, living well and doing something she finds she enjoys may well be her best revenge, with the bonus that her success should be very visible to Zii — but if she is still looking for more active revenge, she’ll be moving in the same circles and positioning herself well to strike. And if she’s subconsciously still looking for Zii’s admiration, succeeding in music would be a great way to get it.

Very likely there’s a bit of all three. Sonya isn’t a real strategic, analytical thinker, and anyway they aren’t mutually exclusive at this point.
---------
Spidrift

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Looks like Zii is going to lose her band but like I mentioned before Zii won't care a whole lot because she has Didi. And Kiley has been absent for exactly 100 strips now. And Yuki still being possessive of Zii in the third panel really annoys me.

Antinerd

Post by Antinerd »

Sonia will go to any lengths to accidentally expose herself. At some level it has to be not accidental.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Of course it’s not accidental. She was deliberately created as a comedy character.

Okay, expanding on that a little; Sonya is a moderately consistent character with recognisable motivations. But this is a four-panel comedy comic with punchlines. Anything that creates a fourth-panel joke can be assumed to be there because comedy, no more than that.
---------
Spidrift

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

No bass player, no band?

You should just play black Metal, fuck the bass! :P
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)