21-11-17 Whined loud

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Treader

Re: 21-11-17 Whined loud

Post by Treader »

OldBrit wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:13 pm
OK, I know Montreal apartments have thin walls, but a music rehearsal room where your can hear conversation from the next one? What's that going to be like with two rock bands going full volume?
I'll just guess they have the door open, since they were waiting for the others, and that's enough for the sound to travel. Or Sonya's drama-powers, currently fueled by Zii's stupidity, care not for the laws of sonic transfer.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

JTheCreator wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:55 pm
No, we HAVE to see Tracy get the SGR.
I agree. Number of strips left in the volume be damned. If, of course, she is supposed to be receiving one.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:19 pm
I don't know, it seemed like Zii was *always* an egomaniac and an arse with her inability or lack of wanting to care about any of her many, many conquests (other than momentary satisfaction from the sex and "achievement" of acquiring it).
There have been a few times when Zii showed a fairly genuine sense of wanting to help certain individuals, but for the vast majority she was callous and/or runs away - the latter especially when it is a problem of her own making.

EDIT: Just checked posts above the one I quoted, and you already made the similar point about Zii's moral cowardice. Sorry for possible misunderstanding; I didn't need to add an addendum (well, even if a little reiteration can't hurt. Aha)
My comment was simply in reply to JoybuzzerX, who talked about this as typical rock star behaviour. Maybe it is, but to use that as any kind of figleaf, you have to become a rock star first. Otherwise, yep, you’re just an egomaniac arse without the cool points that make people put up with rock star behaviour.

Zii says that she wants to make it big with her band, but the question is — does she want to be a successful rock musician, or does she just want the rock star label that fits her personality?
Bat-dork wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm
Ok. Maybe we don't "know" per se, but I'd still say Angel seemed willing to recruit Yuki back then, plus losing Yuki will piss Zii off, so bonus points:
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Double_polite
Mmm. That mostly looks like platonic flirting with Yuki while provoking Zii, but maybe Angel meant it. Which means that playing rhythm in the Pretty Boyz must feel awful insecure; you never know when you’ll be dropped in favour of someone who’ll annoy Zii more...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

For the record, I don't really feel down with hoping for a disaster incoming for Zii, but this subplot is far more interesting than the one we just came from, so I'm happy to see where these current events go from here.

Also, I find it increasingly difficult to gauge Izz. She says she wants to be Zii, but does even she know what that means at this stage?

Treader

Post by Treader »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 pm
Mmm. That mostly looks like platonic flirting with Yuki while provoking Zii, but maybe Angel meant it. Which means that playing rhythm in the Pretty Boyz must feel awful insecure; you never know when you’ll be dropped in favour of someone who’ll annoy Zii more...
Might be a relief, by that stage; especially since they're apparently only local-level 'rock stars' as well. "Oh, i don't have to deal with your relationship melodrama and starting fights in the crowd with oddly disguised stalkers? Well, darn. Laughing?! No, no... that was definitely just a giggle of nervous disappointment. I guess I'll just have to find a dull band, that doesn't partake in shenanigans. Double darn..."

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Treader wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm
OldBrit wrote:
OK, I know Montreal apartments have thin walls, but a music rehearsal room where your can hear conversation from the next one? What's that going to be like with two rock bands going full volume?
I'll just guess they have the door open, since they were waiting for the others, and that's enough for the sound to travel. Or Sonya's drama-powers, currently fueled by Zii's stupidity, care not for the laws of sonic transfer.
I think Sonya and Angel are being as loud as possible on purpose as part of their plan to undermine Nielsen. They want to be heard.

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:24 pm
Bat-dork wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:20 pm
Ok. Maybe we don't "know" per se, but I'd still say Angel seemed willing to recruit Yuki back then, plus losing Yuki will piss Zii off, so bonus points:
http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/Double_polite
Could be... and the following could just be meant as a punchline, but at least, Yuki does believe she's a better drummer than whoever is currently on the Boyz:

http://www.ma3comic.com/strips-ma3/One_powerful_riff

Also, tell me Sonya stealing the band wouldn't fit her revenge style.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:45 am
For the record, I don't really feel down with hoping for a disaster incoming for Zii, but this subplot is far more interesting than the one we just came from, so I'm happy to see where these current events go from here.

Also, I find it increasingly difficult to gauge Izz. She says she wants to be Zii, but does even she know what that means at this stage?
Yeah, Izz has become surprisingly more complex - she seems to have eased back from being a total fangirl (to the point of being a stalker) into a more subdued tag along; perhaps gaining close proximity to her idol was a fulfilment that made her previously overly-familiar apparent attempts of seduction become no longer *necessary* in her mind?
I guess Zii herself had tried to, albeit with minimal effort, convince Izz that she should find someone better to look up to, and maybe Izz will discover how, like the old saying goes, one shouldn't meet their heroes.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:36 pm
Usually, the point is that someone becomes a star, that inflates their ego, and then they become an arse. And it usually takes some focus and dedication to become a star in the first place.

Skipping the hard bits doesn’t work, as Zii may be about to realise.
I'd say she got enough of a star boost at the local level, that she wound up there.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Error of Logic wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 3:42 am
Treader wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 pm
OldBrit wrote:
I think Sonya and Angel are being as loud as possible on purpose as part of their plan to undermine Nielsen. They want to be heard.
Agreed. Since Sonya knows her former band members are next door and what time they'd be practicing I wouldn't be surprised if she and Angel are being intentionally loud.

And I'm so glad we're back to this storyline.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Treader wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 1:56 am
Might be a relief, by that stage; especially since they're apparently only local-level 'rock stars' as well. "Oh, i don't have to deal with your relationship melodrama and starting fights in the crowd with oddly disguised stalkers? Well, darn. Laughing?! No, no... that was definitely just a giggle of nervous disappointment. I guess I'll just have to find a dull band, that doesn't partake in shenanigans. Double darn..."
This is true enough. Angel is, we must remember, a fairly appalling neurotic obsessive. Sonya’s going to have some fun in that band, but Sonya is a hopeless drama addict. The big danger for the band now must be that Sonya will encourage Angel in ridiculous stupid behaviours that distract them from serious business of music.

(Also — though I doubt that the comic will get into this — Angel seems to be a bit more intellectual about music than Zii, taking Lennon and McCartney as a reference-point where Zii takes Kiss; Zii called Angel “pretentious”. Sonya may find her brain being stretched a bit more now, which might actually be good for her.)
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:37 am
Yeah, Izz has become surprisingly more complex - she seems to have eased back from being a total fangirl (to the point of being a stalker) into a more subdued tag along; perhaps gaining close proximity to her idol was a fulfilment that made her previously overly-familiar apparent attempts of seduction become no longer *necessary* in her mind?
Well, yes, she had achieved the goal of getting close to Zii and could stop trying so hard (and the attempts at seduction looked much more like a means to an end than anything about sincere sexual desire — she may actually be heterosexual at heart for all we know). But also, let’s face it, the scary-stalker Single White Female lock-changing stuff was only going to be funny in small doses before it got too worrying and Zii started having to fend her off properly. Dialling her back to just a bit keen made for easier comedy.
I guess Zii herself had tried to, albeit with minimal effort, convince Izz that she should find someone better to look up to, and maybe Izz will discover how, like the old saying goes, one shouldn't meet their heroes.
I think that the former is crediting Zii with a bit too much sense and subtlety. She might have made a cack-handed attempt to divert Izzy’s excess enthusiasm away from herself, the way she did with Sonya, but the problem with the groupie hero-worship is that it’s exactly what a wannabe rock star like Zii thinks she wants in life. She might want Izzy to dial it back a bit, but redirect it? That’s crazy talk!
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Soooo Sonya didn't tell Yuki. That's cold.
Also feels like an excuse to add more drama since they were getting along. And do we need more drama on the last book, or do we need wrapping up? Ah well, let's see.
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Why the hell should Sonya be the one to tell Yuki? It's Zii's band, and the situation is Zii's fault, and Sonya told Zii loud and clear. Let her deal with the repercussions for her own stupid band. Sonya wants to cut all ties to the stupid mistake she made when she ever thought she loved Zii. That's not coldness, that's clarity, for the first time since she met Zii.

(The answer to all that is, of course, that Sonya and Yuki are actually kinda friends now, and Sonya might want to put her side of things to Yuki before Zii feeds her a biased version. But that's a crazy mixed-up friendship at best, and Sonya loves the idea that she and Yuki are mortal enemies, so voluntarily talking to Yuki about personal stuff is a bit tricky for her.)
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Even when Sonya could be fully in the right, she gets it all wrong because of stupid mistakes...

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Spidrift wrote:
Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:12 pm
Until the DiDi high wears off. Even the powers of a sex goddess have their limits.
It might be a long while before the Didi high wears off though. Erik was with Didi for a while (first three volumes I think) and yet he was still very happy with her...until she dumped him by text message. I now wonder if Erik will show up again soon if he's still managing Angel's band.