Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

02-11-17 My head is spinning

Post by Giz »

Chantaru

Re: 02-11-17 My head is spinning

Post by Chantaru »

Go Gary! Enjoy having freewill of your own!

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Guess Zii and DiDi still have their *thing* going, uninterrupted and not even hindered by recent events? I'm sure it's well-covered ground - hell, I can't remember but probably opined about it myself - even as horrible and conniving as Sonya has been, I can't exactly *cheer* for our "heroes" when they don't seem to give a crap about anyone but their own superficial selves. I suppose that's the point, in that we'll see whether Zii and DiDi can actually grow up, although seems unlikely after 9 volumes (true, they've had moments of development, steps forwards and back, but ultimately have regressed to intolerable states of selfishness and being mindlessly lascivious)... also, don't really think they warrant any more chances.

Honestly, I'm glad we seem to have more focus on the finally developed Gary as he goes to Peggy - if for the fact, she is a far more likeable character than his other roommates. In spite of Peggy's questionable choice in men, she does seem like the nicest recurring character by far; and her common sense is a welcoming opposition to frequent idiots and lunatics.
EDIT: Gotta love the enticing expression Peggy shows in final panel.

I don't want to conjure back the wrestling storyline - which I certainly didn't dislike, but it went on too long and felt like a "different show" - yet, I wonder when Tess and Maura will come knocking for the theme song Zii promised them? We haven't gotten a follow-up after they visited Gary in the hospital, either. Perhaps they'll bring along - or have her self-invited - Annie Conda, who may become a cuckoo in the *lovebirds* nest. Don't know, only conjecture - it just seems like the hanging threads still might have relevance in *this* comic (before a spin-off, which has felt heavily implied. Heh).
Last edited by OllieOrOlly on Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Things are going too well for Gary right now. Something is going to happen that's going to destroy his newly found confidence.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Okay, underlining Gary's transformation for the third strip in a row. Fair enough, I guess; it's a big transformation. And any feelings of guilt about having acted like shit aren't slowing Zii down much.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:23 am
I'm sure it's well-covered ground - hell, I can't remember but probably opined about it myself - even as horrible and conniving as Sonya has been, I can't exactly *cheer* for our "heroes" when they don't seem to give a crap about anyone but their own superficial selves.
Personally, I find myself hoping that Sonya has got one of her better plans running, and that Yuki gives Zii a mouthful over screwing up the band. It's not like Yuki was ever exactly a Zii-DiDi shipper, so logically (hah!) there's got to be an issue there.
OllieOrOlly wrote:
I suppose that's the point, in that we'll see whether Zii and DiDi can actually grow up, although seems unlikely after 9 volumes (true, they've had moments of development, steps forwards and back, but ultimately have regressed to intolerable states of selfishness and being mindlessly lascivious)... also, don't really think they warrant any more chances.
Given this transformation in Gary, can we rule out anything with any character? Admittedly, DiDi growing a brain would make Gary growing a spine look trivial, but it's all nerve tissue, innit?
OllieOrOlly wrote:
I don't want to conjure back the wrestling storyline - which I certainly didn't dislike, but it went on too long and felt like a "different show" - yet, I wonder when Tess and Maura will come knocking for the theme song Zii promised them? Heh).
Assuming that the writers remember that - and I'm afraid it's exactly the kind of thing that they tend to forget - it would be another way to drag Zii's attention back to the fact that getting her inflatable blonde heart's desire has bollixed up the other thing that she always claimed was her great dream in life. Though Yuki and simple reality should be enough for that.
samtheman wrote:
Things are going too well for Gary right now. Something is going to happen that's going to destroy his newly found confidence.
Last volume, remember? I'm not saying that his life won't have any hiccoughs in the next ~130 strips, but this feels a lot like starting to get ducks in a row for the endgame.

Anyhow, I also have to hope that Peggy's shift wasn't too exhausting; well, it evidently wasn't double length. And I image she'll be curious about what's happened to Gary, when she gets her breath back.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 am
Last volume, remember? I'm not saying that his life won't have any hiccoughs in the next ~130 strips, but this feels a lot like starting to get ducks in a row for the endgame.
Yes, I know this is the last volume. But I could see the creators yank Gary's chain hard right before he crosses the finish line just because they can. Yeah, I know Giz kept promising a "happy ending" but all creators can and do lie so I'm taking Giz's promise with a mountain's worth of salt.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Gary has the nerve, and an obliging outlet with Peggy, to cope with being turned on by Zii & Didi's loud lovemaking. In the past he's just had to sit there and bear it or try to sleep through it, or one would assume wank considering early Gary. In fact, I would dare to say that Gary might even feel the urge to compete with his roommates in the other chamber, on who can be the more vocal. Peggy might even enjoy a bit of competitive lovemaking, just as a needle to Zii on what she is missing out on. Just be careful to not attract Eulice's or the police's attention.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

msaturn
BANNED

Post by msaturn »

Consider the shark un-jumped. It's pretty rare a writer pries their head out of their own ass, but it happened here.

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

I like this Gary - curious about when he meets sonya and Yuki
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

blue zone

Post by blue zone »

msaturn wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 1:16 pm
Consider the shark un-jumped. It's pretty rare a writer pries their head out of their own ass, but it happened here.
So far......next strip might have Gary bent over as Sailor Moon, wondering how this all happened.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Ok my last guess was a no-go. So how about Zii gets distracted by Peggy describing (loudly) the Swirly she's receiving from Gary?

Bat-dork

Post by Bat-dork »

Looks like the spine-growing potion has not worn off yet. Also, I think this might be the first time I see Gary proactively choosing to go get himself some loving, as opposed to being roped into it by someone else.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

samtheman wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:47 am
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:33 am
Yeah, I know Giz kept promising a "happy ending" but all creators can and do lie so I'm taking Giz's promise with a mountain's worth of salt.
Well, it's not like Giz/Dave are George R.R. Martin, i think Ma3 will get a happy ending, and a nice setup for short stories (if they want to do them, just like with EC/MC).

BTW. Have to love Peggy's expression in this strip.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Bat-dork wrote:
Thu Nov 02, 2017 3:01 pm
Looks like the spine-growing potion has not worn off yet. Also, I think this might be the first time I see Gary proactively choosing to go get himself some loving, as opposed to being roped into it by someone else.
I think you're right Bat-dork, this IS the first time Gary's made a direct, assertive move on a woman of his choosing (although technically he's responding to Peggy's earlier offer before he even left). Even nicer, Peggy's not already passed out after a difficult shift, and looks welcoming. Yeah, Gary's gonna get pegged, but he'll also have his share of fun.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, the specific offer that Peggy made — using that exact turn of phrase — didn’t involve Gary, ahem, being on the receiving end, for once. It’s up to the two of them what actually does happen now; I’m sure that Peggy and the newly-assertive Gary are capable of negotiating something mutually pleasing. But the symbolism would surely involve Gary not being the butt monkey this time.

Oh, one odd bit of trivia; this is the second strip with the exact same title. One URL uses hyphens and the other uses underscores, but it seems a very tiny bit careless.

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.