Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Fluffy

Re: Dangerously Chloe 14-09-17 SMAKK

Post by Fluffy »

dmra wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 5:55 pm
Fluffy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:59 pm
You'll have to forgive my ignorance - but how is this darkly humorous?
Even in the early days the story has featured things like Chloe thinking Teddy was a paedophile; Chloe mistakenly destroying Teddy and Abby's parents' marriage and turning Jackie from somebody who didn't like boys to somebody whose primary characteristic was an obsession with sleeping with them. So I think it's fair to say it DC has always had a dark side to it.

Which is fine by me because I don't mind a bit of dark humour every now and again.

The problem with DC is that one main character has disappeared, one has had a near complete character change the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere and the "jokes" are few and far between and aren't even that funny.
No, see - I get how is had a dark sense of humor; in the beginning, anyway. But ever since the conclusion of the Valentine's Day arc; the story has gone from darkly funny to utter cringe.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Suntiger wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Sat Sep 16, 2017 6:09 am
I do enjoy the odd titillation here and there, but this current development makes it more fan disservice than service.
Wait, you thought this scene was meant as titillation? Really? :-\
It's supposed to be discomforting.
No, I did not think it was meant to be titillating in this case.

Suntiger

Post by Suntiger »

Fluffy wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 3:59 pm
You'll have to forgive my ignorance - but how is this darkly humorous?
Man, I should have remembered to check in.
Anyway, it's humorous because of the situation:
Teddy is having a fight with Pandora, who he is angry with, that turns into sex with Pandora even though he's still angry with her.

He's angry with her because she has married his dad under false pretenses and used a supernatural aphrodisiac to do it, has noisy sex with said dad so Teddy can't sleep, which is further complicated by the other succubus in the household, who is starved for energy from not having sex.
Said sex-starved succubus is being affected by that noisy sex to the point of trying to get to Teddy by physically tearing through the walls and by implication tearing him apart in a lust-filled frenzy, causing him to have to flee for his life. Oh and he's in love with the succubus that's trying to kill him.
Also, there are angels that know about them which could land them in a world of hurt, but the angels haven't quite figured out how it all hangs together.
Also also, one of his classmates is convinced he's an alien and hangs out with one of those aforementioned angels.
Also also also, Teddy now emitts succubus pheromones him/her-self, which causes people around him to fall madly in lust with him. Which he takes advantage of, knowingly or not.
And that's before I bring up Alchemy or Sergeant Slash-Stab and the other succubi.

All of this contains violation of both bodily and mental autonomy on several of the characters, abuse of positions of power and betrayal of trust, underage sex (in some parts of the world), the mudrer and/or death of several people, and parental and friendship neglect.
However, it's done in a way and to such an absurd degree that I can't possibly take it seriously, it just ends up being amusing to me. Sometimes you hit a 'meh' of course, but it's funny enough to keep me checking back at regular intervals.
I hope that clarifies why I think it's darkly humorous. :)

Edit: Like all stories, it is of course subjective. What I find amusing, someone else could find boring or outright bad.

DehTommy

Post by DehTommy »

Teddy is having a fight with Pandora, who he is angry with, that turns into sex with Pandora even though he's still angry with her.

He's angry with her because she has married his dad under false pretenses and used a supernatural aphrodisiac to do it, has noisy sex with said dad so Teddy can't sleep, which is further complicated by the other succubus in the household, who is starved for energy from not having sex.
Said sex-starved succubus is being affected by that noisy sex to the point of trying to get to Teddy by physically tearing through the walls and by implication tearing him apart in a lust-filled frenzy, causing him to have to flee for his life.
Also also also, Teddy now emitts succubus pheromones him/her-self, which causes people around him to fall madly in lust with him. Which he takes advantage of, knowingly or not.
All of this contains violation of both bodily and mental autonomy on several of the characters, abuse of positions of power and betrayal of trust, underage sex (in some parts of the world), the mudrer and/or death of several people, and parental and friendship neglect.
You've just perfectly explained what makes this comic so frustrating to read for me.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Suntiger wrote:
Sun Sep 17, 2017 12:27 am
Wait, you thought this scene was meant as titillation? Really? :-\
It's supposed to be discomforting. In a darkly hilarious way.
I mean, the humor of this comic has been pretty dark from the start, although it's been interwoven with many places of more light-hearted jokes and outright slapstick. I like dark humor though, so I've quite enjoyed the ride. :)
There's some pretty dark shit going on and has been ever since Teddy met Chloe, but it's not written seriously or with any realistic consequences, hence the humor. :ymdevil:
I couldn't have said it better. Applause, sir! :ymapplause: :ymapplause: :ymapplause:

I'm really not very perceptive... I totally overlooked all the little shards showing the sex scenes before I started reading this thread. Quite well-hidden stuff.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Suntiger

Post by Suntiger »

DehTommy wrote:
Thu Sep 28, 2017 5:25 am
You've just perfectly explained what makes this comic so frustrating to read for me.
Are there some elements you like about it, or were you expecting a more traditional Harem manga setup where Teddy ends up collecting several succubi and other supernatural girlfriends and wacky hijinks with fanservice ensue?
Regardless, DC as it is might just not be your cup of tea, no harm in that. :)

dmra

Post by dmra »

The Kickstarter describes DC as

"a spin-off of Eerie Cuties, and is written by David Lumsdon and currently drawn by Jason Waltrip. It follows Chloe, who now attends a succubi-only school in Hell itself! She’s brought back to earth after Teddy, a geeky high school kid, mistakenly makes a pact with an ancient statue that should doom his soul to Hell. But Chloe's found a loophole: she can save him if she helps him fall in love fast. Will she succeed, and what will her teachers from Hell think of this?"

Which it was at the beginning. I can't speak for anybody else but I'd like the comic a lot more if it was still like that. It would at least be nice if we had Chloe with a major role rather being than reduced to a walk on part in her own comic.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Suntiger

Post by Suntiger »

It's still accurate to say that it is the starting premise, and it's accurate if you start reading from the beginning.
Like many comics they story evolves though (unless it's Garfield or Family Circus I suppose), which is necessary unless you want the story to stagnate and get stale.
Of course, the changes that do happen won't please all readers, either because they liked the status quo established in the first storyline or two and that's all they want from the comic, or because they are fine with change but dislike the particular direction the author went with.
I still think DC would be worse off if the story hadn't evolved, even if I don't always like the direction it goes (sometimes it's funny, sometimes it's meh).
As always, your mileage may vary. :)

Reminds me a bit of Love Hina, which starts out as a ronin trying to get into Tokyo U becoming a manager of an old hotel with all female guests, to a story about a Tokyo U student trying to ask the girl he's dating to marry him. With lots and lots of hijinks in between; but the story does evolve.

DC to me always had the vibe of a harem manga with the serial numbers filed off, but then deciding to stir the pot by having the the teenager protagonist displaying both the selfless compassion as well as the inexperienced egocentrism teenagers often have, and pair it with demons from Hell who actually do some bad things, not just being cute monster girls.
I like the mix and usually find it funny, but I can see how it would be an uncomfortable premise for some. Especially since the bad actions often doesn't seem to get any punishment. Certainly not in the short term.

dmra

Post by dmra »

I'm all for character and story evolution but only if it's done well. The characters and story in this case have evolved so far away from the original premise as to be unrecognisable.

Taking your "Love Hina" example it's like Naru developed a fatal disease, took to her bed barely to be seen again while Keitaro changed gender, lost 50 IQ points and started sleeping with 90% of the other characters while doing everything he needed to do to cure Naru except get medical advice..

Edit As an example of waht I mean by character evolution not being handled well in this comic lately. We've just had a large arc which involved Pandora manipulating Teddi as a prank. He's been unfaithful to Chloe numerous times and ended up making a cuckold of his own father. And what has changed? Nothing. He doesn't even seem to be that angry with Pandora anymore. Let alone questioning his own character and actions.