Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Spidrift

Re: 12-09-17 Cry from la joie

Post by Spidrift »

SailorDh wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 2:47 pm
Ugh Zii wins again...
But the whole joke here is that she isn't sure herself whether she's won or lost!
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 4:01 pm
Didi will be monogamous. Once she's latched onto her lover, she has proven to be quite faithful time and time again. It is only when someone new or better comes along and the 'previous model' doesn't provide her with an orgasm/satisfaction does she drop him/her like a hot potato. She might dump them rudely or unceremoniously, even forget their name, but she does at least make sure there is a break made.
Yep... Well, DiDi has always had a weird moral code of sorts, though she tended to forget about it at the high points of her orgasm obsession. However, it's always been shallow and shaky. She acts like someone who's been told about morality, and told that it's important, but who's never really got her head around the underlying principles.
Zii on the other hand, I feel, will be the one to screw up her relationship with Didi. Whether it is the obvious reason of Zii not being able to keep her hands off of those she finds attractive/sexy or because of her deep-seated discomfort of commitment, she is the weakest link.
Agreed. This strip may well be a throwaway gag, but it establishes one thing about Zii; she's still Zii, prone to being ruled by her hormones and impulses. She's showing less character development than DiDi here, and hence is more likely to screw things up.
Vitocap wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:09 pm
Oh well, in any case, this clinches it: Zii/DiDi is endgame. Sucks to be Gary.
There's still a whole volume to go - 150 strips. And this comic sometimes engages in very compressed plotting. And the whole Zii/Gary thing is hanging there on the wall like Chekhov's gun, and was heavily signposted only recently. I'm not betting on any endgame position until we're much, much closer to the last strip.
Opus the Poet wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 pm
I think Sonya is the self-insertion as the dark-haired bass player, can't say anything as to the personality or sexuality as I don't know Giz very well except by her art.
Yep. Well, I wouldn't assume that she's a self-insertion character, but when someone shares hair colour and style, general build, and instrument of choice, there's blindingly obviously a little bit of self-identification likely to be involved. I think that Giz may even have said as much.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

Huh, what do you mean "There's still a whole volume to go"? Sill Ma3 end after the next volume?

Fairy Glade's Fairy
BANNED

Post by Fairy Glade's Fairy »

6 or so more strips and volume 9 ends, after that there's still the whole volume 10 (one more year worth of strips) and only *then* the comic will finally end.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Somewhat surprising given how things looked last strip, but Didi is nothing if not emphatic in her declarations of affection when she's in a relationship so this does fit. And I guess we are supposed to take it that Didi does actually have genuine feelings for Zii (at least as far as that goes for her), it still feels like we missed a couple strips of explanation in there somewhere. Zii looks less firm in her feelings for Didi, though to her (slight) credit she was trying to fight it at the beginning.

With the mention of Zii being the one to mess it all up, and also the unresolved Gary / Zii situation, I wonder if those two plot points might end up being connected, with Didi then disappearing from the apartment (all three would have done that then). Though if she recalls her initial assumptions about Gary + Zii she might react a bit more understandingly, it's a bit hard to guess how Didi will react to things.

And I imagine this will just feed more into Sonya's ballpark, what with the added drama of it all. I doubt she'll walk away so easily, though if she does leaving the band seems a likely side-effect, and Zii probably won't be allowed to stay regardless of how it goes.

Monmaker

Post by Monmaker »

Ok... I kinda want that third panel, sans DiDi and Sonya, as a poster... for science, of course...

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Opus the Poet wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 9:32 pm
I think Sonya is the self-insertion as the dark-haired bass player, can't say anything as to the personality or sexuality as I don't know Giz very well except by her art.
There's Zii, too. Imho, she invested herself in both of them. Zii is her favorite (by her own admission) and her avatar, and Sonya is... well, you explained it yourself. There are a lot of details in Sonya's daily life and idiosyncrasies that remind us of Giz.

The Zii/Sonya pairing can be said to be an unusual case of "fictionalized partial projection of the author number 1" dating "fictionalized partial projection of the author number 2" and actually making it work... too bad their domestic bliss was torpedoed by DiDi and looks beyond repair now.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Prydonian

Post by Prydonian »

Ugh.

brasca

Post by brasca »

DiDi unwittingly foiled Sonya's plan. I'd like to think it was character growth, but maybe DiDi thought things through while kissing and chose Zii because she's proven capable of delivering an orgasm while Sonya hasn't. Sonya's plan was actually quite clever because if she proved that DiDi is only motivated in getting orgasms Zii would realize she's being used and that would create a rift again. Of course Zii might be willing to be used if she got to climb DiDi's mountains on a regular basis.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Linnah wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 11:14 pm
Huh, what do you mean "There's still a whole volume to go"? Sill Ma3 end after the next volume?
That's what Giz said recently.
brasca wrote:
Wed Sep 13, 2017 6:41 am
DiDi unwittingly foiled Sonya's plan. I'd like to think it was character growth, but maybe DiDi thought things through while kissing and chose Zii because she's proven capable of delivering an orgasm while Sonya hasn't.
It is a character development, but to be honest it's a small one; DiDi has gone from obsessing about her orgasm quest to deciding that it's complete and she can stop now. Given that she was initially succumbing to Sonya, she's also maybe showing a bit more willpower and capacity for second thoughts than in the past. As for the declaration of love, though - DiDi has always been prone to grand "romantic" declarations (just ask poor Kiley), so this isn't terribly new.

Thinking a bit more about this scene - it set up Sonya's seduction attempt, then killed it. That may have been largely to create the joke about Zii getting frustrated, and to emphasise DiDi's commitment to Zii, but it still feels like a suddenly-amputated plot strand at present. If Giz and Dave are trying to make this a proper dramatic scene, it really needs to go somewhere further. One possibility is of course that Sonya did indeed notice Zii's reaction, and will move to exploit that next.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

On a side note : Didi, if you really want to be convincing push Sonya away by her shoulders. Right now it looks like you're still tempted and coping a feel
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

When Ma3 ends, we can hopefully look forward to more SDB.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

"Hope" is probably the keyword there.

Sigh. I'm sure that Giz means it when she says she wants to bring SDB back. She clearly likes the characters. But it's been well over a year now, and stuff keeps not happening. I've been enough of a fanboy in enough different fields, watching enough different creators, to recognise the pattern. And false hope hurts worse than acceptance.
---------
Spidrift

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Fairy Glade's Fairy wrote:
Tue Sep 12, 2017 7:52 pm
... if you can tell who's this and what comic he comes from, you get a cookie. :)
I sent you the answer via pm. You can mail me my cookie. Image

Great photoshop work removing the other guy from the picture, btw. :-bd Did you use airbrush to smooth up the patch lines?
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, googling the first few words of the dialogue can identify the comic. Not one I know, I admit.
---------
Spidrift

Shinjischneider

Post by Shinjischneider »

Aaaand out.

Zii's Karma/Luck is on Vindicator-level again.