04-09-17 Save you the trouble

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

JoybuzzerX

Re: 04-09-17 Save you the trouble

Post by JoybuzzerX »

edisnooM wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 10:28 pm
I continue to be unsure where this is all heading.

I personally feel like Sonya doesn't have much of a leg to stand on here. She was scheming, it backfired, and even now when she's getting mad at Zii for her scheme failing and supposedly "coming clean", she's still sort of trying to keep up her facade.

Given how Didi has been acting the last few strips I really have no idea how she'll react to this, deciding to stay out of their way is possible, but given how she ended up staying out of Gary and Zii's way who knows how that would end up.

I'm also curious if Zii's reaction in the last panel is exasperation at Didi, or worry that Didi is going to start going off on her own narrative again.
I feel it was less a scheme and the only way she could be close to Zii, as Zii would say "I don't want a relationship" Then when Didi shows up, Zii changes her mind.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I don't know @ Rogermart, but I wonder if it will be Sonya replacing Zii and having that strip somewhat play out the same. They are at band practice and Sonya is in a pissy mood... not made any better by Izzy's screeching. Izzy comes on to Sonya for inspiration. Sonya, in grief or anger or hallucination or thinking of revenge, accepts Izzy's pseudo-advance and plants one on... well... not her guitar.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

People keep talking as if character drama is an explosive which will blow the band apart. It isn't; it's the fuel on which the band runs.

Now, admittedly, Zii has just spilled loose fuel all over the engine block...
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Passing Through

Post by Passing Through »

Vitocap wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:27 pm
I honestly can't tell what's going to happen now. Especially since Giz has a penchant for surprising her readers. What story will the next strips tell? Some ideas off the top of my head:

1) Sonya has had enough of this shit. She kicks Zii and Didi out. Zii and Didi start living together in Didi's room at the old apartment.
... a) and Sonya leaves the band.
... b) and Sonya & Yuki expel Zii from the band.
... c) and the band stays together, but the mood turns really sour.

2) Zii has had enough melodrama. She ditches Sonya, leaving her in tears. Zii and Didi start living together in Didi's room at the old apartment.
... (a) to (c) as before.

3) Didi decides she can't stand the idea of breaking up Sonya and Zii. She tells them to reconcile and leaves with an "Adieu forever, Zii!" (ignoring Zii's desperate hysterical screams). Go figure what happens with the band.

4) Someone arrives. Yuki or Gary or Matt or Peggy or Kiley. Perhaps more than one. They either try to mediate or jump into the fray. Things get more complicated.

5) The three girls reach an agreement and start living together at Sonya's place, in a polyamorous threesome with Zii as the pivot. One day, Sonya and Didi try having sex with each other... and they like it so much, they kick Zii out. Zii returns to Gary for comforting, romance ensues. (Heeey... I love this one!)

6) We leave the trio here and move to another storyline. Something with the wrestlers, perhaps. We won't see Sonya, Didi & Zii again for like fifty strips.

Anyone has other ideas? :YMDAYDREAM:
7) Wolves attack, so everyone has to flee in their sleds pursued by ravenous wolves and Didi who doesn't want the poor wolves to starve, or indeed, miss out on elevenses.

Grotesquespirit

Post by Grotesquespirit »

Maybe if Sonya leaves, Izz can try her hand at Bass guitar, and find that she's a natural?

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:59 pm
Ouch to #6. Sadly it rings true considering some past cliffhangers.
*sigh* Ain't that true.
I foresee torches and pitchforks if it comes to pass. :p
worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 4:53 am
I wonder if it will be Sonya replacing Zii and having that strip somewhat play out the same. They are at band practice and Sonya is in a pissy mood... not made any better by Izzy's screeching. Izzy comes on to Sonya for inspiration. Sonya, in grief or anger or hallucination or thinking of revenge, accepts Izzy's pseudo-advance and plants one on... well... not her guitar.
:-o
You know, I hadn't thought of that possibility at all.
It can happen. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems. Zii/Sonya is pretty much ruined; as things stand now, I can't imagine any expedient to save their relationship (well, except the polyamorous triangle... but I really doubt Giz will go that way). If Izzy comes one day, during practice, and asks Sonya for a good luck kiss, Sonya may be tempted to use her as a substitute to ease whitdrawal. There's nothing far-fetched about that; it'd be a coherent development.

And yeah, Sonya, who, unlike Zii, doesn't turn into a goof around Izzy, most certainly won't miss her mouth. B-)
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

Passing Through wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am
7) Wolves attack, so everyone has to flee in their sleds pursued by ravenous wolves and Didi who doesn't want the poor wolves to starve, or indeed, miss out on elevenses.

But but but... surely, Montréal isn't like Winnipeg... right???
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Vitocap wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:41 pm
I foresee torches and pitchforks if it comes to pass. :p
Well there was a long spell of not having Zii in the comic at all. I think @Spidrift researched how long her strip-absence was... something like 50 or 75 or more?!?! Now that she can go hiking and spelunking Mt. Didi at will, and Didi is an eager park ranger, I could see them both disappearing from the strip for a very long while now. Like, to the point that Didi loses her job for non-attendance 'because of l'amour.' Then they both live in Zii's van, being bohemian lovers. If the creative team is so inclined of course.
Vitocap wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:41 pm
:-o
You know, I hadn't thought of that possibility at all.
It can happen. The more I think about it, the more likely it seems. <snip>
And yeah, Sonya, who, unlike Zii, doesn't turn into a goof around Izzy, most certainly won't miss her mouth. B-)
I only see a couple of possibilities on Sonya's end of how she'll react. Considering her love of drama and her previous track record, she'll try to win Zii back. Or, she'll be depressed and give up. Or, she will be spiteful if she feels that she has no chance of breaking apart Didi from Zii (either because Sonya is unsure that she can compete against the Didi Effect, or because Didi is just too dumb/stubborn to be swayed away from her true love [see Kiley]). Maybe she will even relive her memories with Zii, wipe the stars from her eyes, and realize Zii was a homewrecker (granted: Sonya/Jake was a little unsteady/boring for Sonya). I have a feeling she will have a sobering moment of clarity; nothing like a bitch-slap from your love to clear the senses.

Now combine that with the creative team's love of hallucination and transposition of other characters onto another. You have Izzy - a character that indeed looks similar to another main character. Her fan-adoration hasn't been explored in a long time. Izzy has been in the backdrop for ages and at best has been a very minor plot complication. We know precious little about Izzy, except that she is inexperienced at just about everything and emulates her (current) idol Zii. It wouldn't be difficult at all for Sonya to manipulate Izzy: "don't you want to be like Zii?" or some such. Hell, I could even envision from that moment of clarity that Sonya... while kissing Izzy... boldly (in thought bubble since she's kissing Izzy and is using her mouth) proclaims that 'she is a lesbian' for self-motivation. /mic drop :-o

Or, she'll just leave the strip due to lack of connection to the rest of the characters being rotated around. If we are truly nearing the end of the comic, logic would require strip-time be spent on characters that need to have plots resolved first... followed by ancillary characters' epilogues.

But then, I have a vivid imagination. Some would argue that the ravenous wolf attack would be more likely due to Canada's abundant native wolf population. #-o
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm
I only see a couple of possibilities on Sonya's end of how she'll react. Considering her love of drama and her previous track record, she'll try to win Zii back. Or, she'll be depressed and give up. Or, she will be spiteful if she feels that she has no chance of breaking apart Didi from Zii (either because Sonya is unsure that she can compete against the Didi Effect, or because Didi is just too dumb/stubborn to be swayed away from her true love [see Kiley]).
It's Sonya. These possibilities aren't mutually exclusive, at least sequentially.

Also, Peggy may offer dangerously effective aid or advice, depending on the view she takes. She's smart and can be very determined. Never forget the time she got inside Zii's head while passing out.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

I could see Sonya quit the band but the band won't break up. As for how this all ends, who knows. The comic's ending might not be an ending at all. I'm now thinking more like a "And the adventure continues" type of ending so if Giz wants to come back to Menage a 3 in the future she can and probably will.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, she's said that the characters may reappear elsewhere - as she's also talked about SDB continuing (yeah, well, believe that when we see it, I'm afraid), that's one obvious place. And while I can believe that some of the characters will reach some kind of closure, I doubt that many of them will be killed off or even married off, so I'm sure that any ending will leave the option of slingshots off into new stories.

But then... storytelling isn't always Ma3's strong suit, I'm afraid. I mentioned Peggy's moment of awesome above, when she apparently gave Zii a sudden moment of personal insight and set Sonya up for a decent chance with her. Did Zii act on that insight? Did Sonya get anywhere with Zii just then? Nope. Peggy's brilliant plan actually changed nothing.
---------
Spidrift

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

worldshaking00 wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:05 pm
But then, I have a vivid imagination. Some would argue that the ravenous wolf attack would be more likely due to Canada's abundant native wolf population. #-o
:-=
I won't make jokes about that. I've played GTAV and I remember what happened when you made too many jokes about wolves and moose and lumberjacks around our Canadian hero Trevor. Like, say, when those USA army soldiers made fun of Canadian speech patterns in his face. "There's a moose loose aboot the hoose!" -- dumb shit like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeHDOy-dyqI

Trevor wiped out the whole military unit, including several giant tanks, by himself. ^:)^ They say that this short episode was the most popular sidequest in the game among Canadian players.

Passing Through

Post by Passing Through »

Vitocap wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 3:57 pm
Passing Through wrote:
Tue Sep 05, 2017 6:55 am

But but but... surely, Montréal isn't like Winnipeg... right???
Everywhere is like Winnipeg, most places just have more Dúnedain to keep the dread at bay than Canada does these days.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Awww, DiDi is so sympathetic. (It's her most endearing characteristic.) :)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

XKCD What If and that GTA V video!!! =)) =)) =)) That is all.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)