24-08-17 She knows her priorities

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Bat-dork

Re: 24-08-17 She knows her priorities

Post by Bat-dork »

Izz can get suddenly good with the guitar, and go back to bad in the blink of an eye. If she does manage a good moment during practice, chances are she will freeze during a real gig, and Zii will have to go to the rescue.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 pm
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:13 pm
Remember, Zii having sex with the wrong person was what broke her original band up in the first place.
No it wasn't.
I may not have remembered this correctly. I thought there was some manner of drama between her and Angel in the past?

I'm at work and can't look it up.
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 1:54 pm
You keep talking as though the audience has some rights over the content of the story. They don't. They can always walk away and stop reading if they dislike it enough, obviously, but they can't then complain if enough people stay for the creator to carry on regardless.

Now, members of an audience are welcome to dislike or like individual characters (and God knows I do), and very often that's the idea. (Though people going on and on and on about how they dislike some character who's clearly just meant to be complex or interestingly flawed gets really boring, really quickly.) But "supporting" characters? I mean, with what? Fictional scaffolding?
Of course they can complain. That's part of the point of the forums. One can type out they don't like a pairing. Doesn't mean it will change anything, though it could.

Hell, I believe it's you (could be wrong on this, but we know there are those who do) who complains about lack of nipples and soap hiding, steam hiding, all the hiding of the naked body when they already stated why it was, but yet, the complaining continues. :p

Vitocap

Post by Vitocap »

OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am
Zii will be back to Jung's back room or her van... Although, history has shown that she will probably luck her way into far more agreeable circumstances, but that is passed the short term repercussions I'm guessing about.
It's at this point that we should remember that Zii is Giz's favorite character (and forum avatar) with Sonya a close second (Giz was the bassist of her band). So, yeah, odds are that: 1) Sonya spoketh Words of Truth when she says Zii is right now making a huge damn mistake, and 2) Zii will nevertheless luck her way out of any serious consequences that should hit her because of it.

Zii always had that "Teflon Jack" thing about her: a natural repellency to bad karma. Her non-stick coating usually prevents negative consequences from adhering to her.
We, the old ghosts of Pizen Bluff, who still roam about this dead forum screaming imprecations at the characters and whatnot.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm
I may not have remembered this correctly. I thought there was some manner of drama between her and Angel in the past?
There was catastrophic drama between her and Angel, caused by Zii screwing Jerzy when Angel considered Jerzy to be Angel's. (Angel had neglected to tell Jerzy or Zii this, mind. That screw-up was no one's fault but Angel's.) However, it didn't destroy the band; it's not even clear that Angel and Zii ever considered themselves to be in a band together. (They seem to have been collaborating as songwriters.) Angel just went off in a screaming huff.

What trashed Zii's previous band was Yuki going psychotic and assaulting several more famous musicians. On stage. In front of an audience. The band couldn't get bookings after that, the two other members left, and Zii suddenly noticed that Yuki was a clingy pain in the arse.
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:45 pm
Hell, I believe it's you (could be wrong on this, but we know there are those who do) who complains about lack of nipples and soap hiding, steam hiding, all the hiding of the naked body when they already stated why it was, but yet, the complaining continues.
I fully understand the reasons for that decision, and don't bother complaining about it, though I occasionally slip and allow myself a little irony about the consequences. I regard any people still complaining about it at this point as idiots.

(Well, complaining about the advertisers, who are even bigger idiots, is justified but futile. Complaining about the decision is kicking a dead horse.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Apparently DiDi isn't as bad as I thought she'd be. Of course she can't do too much damage with her tongue.

AlexDenton

Post by AlexDenton »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:43 pm

A barely sub-competent musician?
True, but she's dedicated, enthusiastic and was already showing progress last time she practiced with Zii (interestingly, she was good when she imitated Zii, but then couldn't play properly when prompted). And she takes the band practice seriously, it's possible she got a lot better since we last saw her.
That being said there is no way she's as good as Zii. But that could lead to something interesting later, if she gets over her crush on Zii and proves she is dead serious about becoming a musician, and with Zii not having her head in the game at all.

But that's character growth, so it probably won't happen. Nice thought though.

Damn Sonya is gonna get hurt bad. The situation wasn't ideal from the start, but this is becoming a train wreck.
"Hi. I'm NG Resonance. What would you like to talk about?"
"I like your music."
"I think you're lying."
"Hey -- I'm a fan. You're not supposed to argue with me."
"I'm supposed to make you like me. You like it when I argue."

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:39 pm
lordoffiling wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:37 pm
There was catastrophic drama between her and Angel, caused by Zii screwing Jerzy when Angel considered Jerzy to be Angel's. (Angel had neglected to tell Jerzy or Zii this, mind. That screw-up was no one's fault but Angel's.) However, it didn't destroy the band; it's not even clear that Angel and Zii ever considered themselves to be in a band together. (They seem to have been collaborating as songwriters.) Angel just went off in a screaming huff.

What trashed Zii's previous band was Yuki going psychotic and assaulting several more famous musicians. On stage. In front of an audience. The band couldn't get bookings after that, the two other members left, and Zii suddenly noticed that Yuki was a clingy pain in the arse.
In addition, I think that story is only in the books (i just sounded like when i'm talking about Game of Thrones jajaja), so lordoffiling, if you have them, that story should be like in vol 1 or 2...

My take on that is, Zii didn't screw up by sleeping with the wrong person, she screwed up by hiring the wrong person...
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It was in the books; I'm not sure if it's ever been put online. Might've been. The Angel/Jerzy incident was shown in flashback just before the current band's first gig.

Zii hired Yuki when she was running a full-on casting couch approach to recruitment, and subsequently kind of made Yuki her live-in girlfriend, but she did apparently also tag Yuki as a fully competent drummer. What she failed to notice, of course, was Yuki's psychological problem. Which, to be fair, tends to be fairly well concealed, until it isn't.

Zii has the grace to at least look embarrassed when she recalls all those past misdemeanours - even the Jerzy/Angel incident, which she knows perfectly well is all down to Angel. But they do tend to disprove the idea that Zii always gets away scot free from everything; her carelessness has blown up in her face as often as not, really.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sparky

Post by sparky »

So, does anyone think that Didi has developed powers of empathy due to apparently being in the same situation as Gary was when he was with her? Me neither.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

Well, screw it. I also don't support this pairing.

Problem?

TeamYuki

Post by TeamYuki »

Things that this story arc has made apparent to me:

1.) Spidrift is an annoyingly condescending little prick who's opinions, apparently, are the only ones that are "correct" on here... Well, in his own mind, at least.

2.) I hate to say this, but... I think I legitimately dislike Didi as a character at this point. We have moved beyond the point of it just being her being oblivious. We are now at the point where she just comes across as an all around bad person. At least in my perspective, I am well aware she still has her own die-hard fans who will believe she is misunderstood until she starts killing bunnies for orgasms. >_>

Team Yuki disapproves.

Anyone else miss Dillon and Amber playing a bigger role in the comic and all the wacky hijinks that ensued with Gary? I know they moved to their spin-off and all, and that the plan is for SDB to be continued, but... Why can't we have the characters pop back into their original sandbox while they are on the long hiatus for SDB? If anything, it will just build back up interest in the characters for when their strip does make its (hopefully) triumphant return.

And, thus concludes the two cents of TeamYuki being put into this discussion...

Opus the Poet

Post by Opus the Poet »

Gil Hamilton wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:17 am
How was it that Zii lost her old band again?
She gave the drummer food poisoning.
Don Alexander wrote:Duh. All people are homosexual. Most just don't get beyond the heterosexual experimentation phase until they die of old age.

Swiftwinged Doom

Post by Swiftwinged Doom »

capicoli wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:35 am
OllieOrOlly wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 11:09 am
another consequence could be that Sonya kicks her out of the apartment. Since Peggy is currently staying at her old place - and wouldn't be able to move again right away, or even want to move - Zii will be back to Jung's back room or her van... Although, history has shown that she will probably luck her way into far more agreeable circumstances, but that is passed the short term repercussions I'm guessing about.
Wouldn't she just go back to her old place. She only left because of Gary and Didi and now she has Didi. Unless she pops some sudden concern about Gary's feelings.
Care about Gary's.... Feelings? As far as this comic is concerned Gary and all other holders of the Y chromosome have no such thing as feelings unless they're gay. Hell Gary could stumble in on those two idiots doing the famous Requiem for a Dream special on his mattress and somehow, he would be at fault for it. I read that bit and almost laughed my balls off. Care about Gary's feelings.... What a joke....
Proudly broadcasting from Flint MI. The first city in North America to fight crime with Urban Blight.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

So again, I'm not entirely certain where this is going. This still doesn't ring entirely true to me so I can't help feeling that the other shoe is going to drop somewhere around here.

Quinlan1973 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:00 pm
I'm beginning to think that they both need to seek real psychiatric help. (NOT KILEY!)
I've said it before, a lot of the cast could go together and get a group discount. :)