Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

03-08-17 You hurt me bad

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 03-08-17 You hurt me bad

Post by Spidrift »

So it takes a feeling of actual heartbreak to give Zii character development. Hey ho. Life is pain.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Hmmm, can't really take a side here. Zii overreacted by abruptly leaving just for jealously, since DiDi had no obligations to her. Yet DiDi is wrong in a different way for popping around for her silver medal choice that she hopes will be the overlooked gold; it seems likely that DiDi is delusional enough to believe f**king Zii is both for herself and a selfless gesture, however, doesn't quite change the fact that her desires are purely selfish, as she is chasing the proverbial dragon of an O.
In fact, Zii went to her runner up before DiDi showed up, so she is in no place to judge, thereby strengthening the quandary of having no sides with which to sympathise.
That all said, still intrigued to see where this is going next...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Why do you feel obliged to take sides?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Linnah

Post by Linnah »

While I think both of them have their wrongs, I think that Zii had the 'right' attitude since she was somewhat honest with DiDi about her intentions, even half-teaching her what the Rebound is.

While DiDi had all of the right to refuse Zii's advances and go to Gary, she basically did so after tossing Zii aside and ignoring her existence: In fact this is one of DiDi's biggest flaws imo. She's basically too goal-oriented, to the point she downright ignores (not necessarily on purpose?) everyone around her, and doesn't realize her actions might bring consequences to others who aren't on her radar.

I think one of the freshest examples is how _nothing_ Sonya's said got through her head, and neither did Zii's promise to Sonya. Sonya was gone? Pants off, Bamf.

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

This is getting to the point that I am having a difficult time believing that even DiDi doesn't know what she's doing.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Perhaps one day, someone will execute a full body slam on DiDi in the ring, and blam, the pencil shakes loose and comes out of her nose, and her IQ jumps fifty points.
---------
Spidrift

Boro

Post by Boro »

Hm... is it possible that she's confused? :-?
My inner shipper sense says that it was Gary who broke her heard.

DocMesa

Post by DocMesa »

Spidrift wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 12:23 pm
Perhaps one day, someone will execute a full body slam on DiDi in the ring, and blam, the pencil shakes loose and comes out of her nose, and her IQ jumps fifty points.
In the far reaches of deep space, there was a world rich in graphite and life on this world evolved strangely. The trees were pencils, sentience was achieved by walking wooden people with graphite for blood. It was a world, in short, of pencils. The world was destroyed when the people of the world entered the space age and created the largest pencil the universe had ever seen. As thick as a planet and over 2 AU in length, it blocked out the sun's light and the world froze to death.

Yet even if this mighty drawing implement came flying out of Didi's nose, laying waste to everything in its path, I think she would still be utterly clueless about other people.

Harlock_the_Bard

Post by Harlock_the_Bard »

So...I'm the first one to comment on "no 'mais' about it", huh? I'm trying to decide whether that qualifies as a bilingual pun or just slipping crap past the censors. Given DiDi's state of dress, it could go either way, really.

Quinlan1973

Post by Quinlan1973 »

Stay strong, Zii! Both you and Didi need to learn that sex (Okay, good sex. Okay! Really good sex.) won't fix hurt feelings. :YMPEACE:

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Well, it might not have been a sit down conversation with tea (put your coffee cup down @Spidrift), but it is about as close as this comic is going to get without a cafe scene change. I wish Zii wouldn't be pushing Didi away, in order for Zii to explain in no uncertain Didi-level terms, that what she did to Zii was hurtful to Zii's feelings. For me, it would be worth the extra couple strips.

While it is amusing to see how these glacially static characters react, sometimes painfully the same over and over again, with the comic's end on the far horizon I'd hope that there would be some sort of character development that would lead to a happy ending (overall - I know not everyone can win). Watching Zii push Didi away and tell her to go is a nice step. I still don't know how Didi will actually grow out of this. I still don't know what final effect this will have on Zii. I don't know if/how the main cast dynamic will get fixed. But this was a big plot movement and I don't expect an easy fix. That probably means some serious character development out of (at least) one of the characters, and that makes me excited.

I think Didi knows her effect on Zii (and just about anyone); injecting Zii into her cleavage is just one way to try to wear down Zii's resolve and try to have make-up sex. As much as it pains me to say it: Zii, don't let your guard down. Work towards mending your friendship - without sex - before climbing Mt. Didi.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

What is THIS??? Zii actually RESISTING the DiDi Effect??? Is this actual Character Development?? Or is Zii just bitter and angry at DiDi??

Speaking of DiDI, I know it's hard to believe, but some people really are that oblivious to others' feelings and needs. The usual stereotype is a man being this thick-headed though...(oops almost forgot about Gary)
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:
Thu Aug 03, 2017 3:07 pm
What is THIS??? Zii actually RESISTING the DiDi Effect??? Is this actual Character Development?? Or is Zii just bitter and angry at DiDi??
Sometimes, I'm afraid, bitterness and anger are what generate character development.
---------
Spidrift

cheshire86

Post by cheshire86 »

Bahgawd, King, that big-bosomed Jezebel just put Zii in a submission hold! This could be the end! :-ss