2017-06-16 All in good fun

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Spidrift

Re: 2017-06-16 All in good fun

Post by Spidrift »

I'm sure that was confirmed somewhere; tracking it down would be a bore, but I might try later. Anyhow, she attends an English-language school in Paris and is prone to outbursts of ropey Fake Brit, so I think it's meant to be taken as read.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

I don't recall if it was ever out right said in comic, but Marie has been dropping things like; "Thump him proper", "a bit rubbish", and most damningly "Cor Blimey" since she showed up in 2014. So, yes, we're fairly certain she's English.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Those are all pretty damning English-isms, so if she's not then she has a bad habit of trying to sound like she is. :)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Except that, well, "thump him proper" isn't something I've ever heard, "a bit rubbish" surely isn't especially British, and "cor blimey" is a bit dated. Most of her "Englishisms" are actually archaic and sometimes mangled cockney. Of course, it is possible that she was born within the sound of Bow bells.

The problem with trying to make young, well-travelled, very Internet-aware characters sound British is that real young, well-travelled, very Internet-aware people probably talk like any other young English speaker from most places on Earth these days. Unless you've got an absolutely perfect ear for some kind of Estuary accent, it's bound to look fake.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

"Thump him proper" as an exact phrase I've never heard, but it's components are all fittingly English and read with a Cockney accent sounds vaguely passable. Rubbish is an expression on it's own that I feel I've heard most commonly with an English accent, so I think "a bit rubbish" is reasonably OK. "Cor blimey" is definitely English but as noted not really a common expression, except of course in fiction where the goal is to make someone sound English, or more working class.

Not necessarily a perfect representation, but since she doesn't talk like that all the time it may just primarily be there to show she is English, in which case it kind of works. Or maybe she is trying to make herself seem lower class than she is, or it may even be the opposite where these small lapses are showing a glimpse into her character she tries to keep hidden. Or maybe I'm completely overthinking it. :)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Eh, those are just the ones that came easily to mind when trying to remember Marie's past "English-isms". It could be just as Spidrift has been insinuating these last three years, that she's seen Mary Poppins one too many times. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Cortez wrote:
Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:07 pm
Eva must be pretty strong to damage the tree like that.
Yeah, she's going full Kronar, Son of Man on that tree.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)