18-07-17 Flex Maura

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

edisnooM

Re: 18-07-17 Flex Maura

Post by edisnooM »

brasca wrote: Yes, she's a terrible person for wanting to enjoy sex. 8-|
I didn't say that, if fact if you look close you might see I actually said "Not necessarily all that worse than the other cast members".

What struck me when I re-read Peggy's introduction and her appearances following was that she seems (to me anyway) a lot more self-focused (at least in intimate matters) than I remembered, and actually a bit closer to Matt-like than I recalled her being.

What I would call kind of terrible is breaking up with her fiancee (the final straw apparently being her wanting him to do something that he wasn't comfortable with, which is it's own kind of awful), and immediately moving on to the guy at the next table, and then on from there. Add to that the fact that Jim apparently was pretty in love with Peggy, since after all that he still wanted to try and patch things up, even considering to try and do the very thing he wasn't comfortable with in the first place.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

Nice ass on Peggy.

But since Gary is being wheeled out on a stretcher and being taken to the hospital one wonders if worldshaking00 is right and Gary will suffer some form of amnesia. Maybe he'll lose all the memories of all of his sexual encounters and relationships thus making Gary think he's still a virgin?

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I agree on Peggy's posterior rendition. :x

While I think it would be realistic for Gary to suffer some sort of (healable) affliction from his KO, I don't know if this is the type of comic for it. I mean, I would expect if someone broke a leg to be on crutches for several strips... maybe even wearing a cast. Then at some point *poof* all better. And while I agree that there is quite a lot of comedy & drama that could unfold from even a minor bout of 'comic book amnesia', there are so many plates spinning right now that I feel at best we'll get a few strips of him convalescing in a hospital gown getting visitors... then eventually having to explain to his boss what happened and why he should hopefully get to keep his job after being laid up for a while.

Another possibility, and it would be horrific, would be if his hypothetical amnesia caused him lose his SGR technique. Or if we wanted to get silly (yet still in the realm of cartoon 'frying pan upside the head'-style head trauma), what if he started to think he was more like Lothario (should be)?

All hypothetical, but still worth a discussion.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

edisnooM wrote:
Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:04 am
What I would call kind of terrible is breaking up with her fiancee (the final straw apparently being her wanting him to do something that he wasn't comfortable with, which is it's own kind of awful), and immediately moving on to the guy at the next table, and then on from there.
The fact that she'd reached the point where a small provocation could make her snap and start throwing pasta suggests to me that they'd kept that relationship going past the point where they should have called it a day and started dividing up the CD collection. That in turn may have been due to Jim's misguided persistence in trying to make it work past the point of good sense.

Look, it's sad when a relationship breaks down, it really is. I feel for Jim, and I'd love to see a strip with one panel showing that he'd met somebody else with whom he was more in synch, and he was rebuilding his sense of trust. (Alternatively, this being Ma3, that he'd gone "screw it" and started banging his way round the Montreal swingers' scene, thoroughly enjoying a few months of selfish irresponsibility after years of propping up Peggy's emotional state.) But it's clear that by the time they first appeared, his relationship with Peggy was dead in the water, and him trying to keep it going was a mistake. A comedy-catastrophic mistake, as it turned out, even.

By the way, am I the only person who saw the title of this strip and thought "Is she the female counterpart of Flex Mentallo?"
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

Oh I agree that it does look like there were issues preceding this, at the very least the particular conversation seems to have come up at least once before (though I would hazard a guess that it would likely have come up before they got engaged and considered a future together). But as I had somehow completely forgotten this part, the relative blitheness and seeming lack of emotional reaction from Peggy (especially when shortly after contrasted with Jim's) was kind of surprising.

It's not the worst way we've seen someone break up in the Ma3-verse but it still seemed kind of cold. I thought Sonya was kind of a jerk when she did something similar to Gary, and that was a far shorter less "serious" relationship.

And sorry to say I had never heard of Flex Mentallo before your mention.

Oh by the by, when did the forum update?