18-07-17 Flex Maura

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Castamir

Re: 18-07-17 Flex Maura

Post by Castamir »

Varanus wrote:Forgetting clean clothes I understand, but why would there be no towels in there to wear?
I for one always grab clothes and the towel as one pile, and carry them into the bathroom together. If I'm interrupted on the way, I put the bundle somewhere, and if I were to forget it, I'd forget it all.

Obviously, there's always the option of using dirty clothes I wore when I came in.
I hate dancing, but for your grave I can make an exception.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Varanus wrote:Forgetting clean clothes I understand, but why would there be no towels in there to wear?
Warm-ish night, towel a bit damp from use, Peggy not expecting to see anyone - why worry?
Mutant for Hire wrote:While I am glad to see the comic being realistic and appropriate about head trauma, I would like to point out that real EMTs tend to be a bit more jaded and have seen it all.
No doubt, but the guy clearly knows Peggy as a colleague and maybe as a friend, so he'd still have some reason to blink, while the woman is evidently smitten by the full frontal sight of a Giz-grade sexy lady.
worldshaking00 wrote:I'm just curious how she did not hear the paramedics enter the premises.
Well, showers are famously great white noise generators. (Tradecraft SOP; if you're worried about bugs, hold sensitive conversations in the bathroom with water running.) Plus, comedy.
worldshaking00 wrote:As to the one paramedic being her ex, maybe. Time has gone by so his hair style might have changed up a bit. The strip you referenced had his hair a little mussed up; could have been due to stress of breaking up with Peggy... could have be Loreal...
Could be having just washed his hair after Peggy had dumped pasta in it.
worldshaking00 wrote:Maura: stop it. Just. Stop it. You're wearing a shirt covering your abs. No one knows you're flexing. And with Gary unconscious, no one cares. It's seriously bordering on unhealthy levels of insecurity, and very much out of place considering the seriousness of the situation.
She's a former Olympic-level athlete turned determined student of wrestling. I find her compulsive competitiveness more explicable than Sonya's.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

BlairFan
Yap Yap Sycophant

Post by BlairFan »

Too bad Gary is knocked out so he can't witness Peggy's lovely appearance. :(

hightechartist

Post by hightechartist »

If Gary has seriously been knocked out THIS long that is very, very bad.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

We haven't really seen 'bad trauma injury' in the strip yet, aside from the ball-kicking from Yuki... especially concerning Matt (and Didi getting hot 'n pent-up due to his nethers needing time to heal). It might be a first for the strip. There'd certainly be plenty of drama & comedy to wring out of the incident with Yuki & Didi. Frankly, it could be one of those times Gary would see who really cares about him for him and who cares about him for his abilities. Plus if he was sedentary for a couple of days, it would be a good time to force a conversation with Zii (if she could muster getting out from between Sonya's legs). Maybe it is time to emphasize the 'romance' in the rom-com nature of the strip?
Spidrift wrote:She's a former Olympic-level athlete turned determined student of wrestling. I find her compulsive competitiveness more explicable than Sonya's.
Oh no doubt. Sonya is all sorts of bat-shit crazy. I think more people can empathize with Maura's behavior. That still doesn't change how she's just ignoring her date that she caused to be put on that stretcher. Also she didn't ask for help from anyone to try to revive him (apart, of course, for the EMT call). That could be because she truly is concerned about his immediate health and just reacted. But it could also be because she wasn't wanting help from Peggy, her competitive rival, due to Maura's over-competitiveness. I know and I understand - her reaction is comedy punchline to Peggy's nude entrance. Got it, and I found it humorous. I'm just hoping Maura feels bad about it later on and tries to make it up to Gary (and Peggy too, maybe). An interesting point though, is that Gary getting KO'd by Maura is a more physical version of how Gary was treating Maura while Peggy was with them on their date. Gary didn't pay her much attention because he was fixated more on Peggy (even if trying to be just apologetic). Now, Maura is paying Peggy attention and Gary is the one being left out to dry. Pretty sure this date is o-v-e-r.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

magicrectangle

Post by magicrectangle »

If nose bleed girl is also into guys, she might just be Gary's soulmate.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:Frankly, it could be one of those times Gary would see who really cares about him for him and who cares about him for his abilities.
Honestly, call me naive, but I think that all the cast, aside from comedy baddies like Nathan, are basically nice people. If Gary ends up in hospital for a day or two, they'll likely all show up, genuinely concerned in their own screwed-up ways and clutching bunches of grapes. They'll then say tactless things, squabble, and get distracted, but hey, you take your friends as you find them.
Sonya is all sorts of bat-shit crazy. I think more people can empathize with Maura's behavior. That still doesn't change how she's just ignoring her date that she caused to be put on that stretcher.
She's not ignoring him. She's momentarily distracted by an unexpected and striking sight. I'll give her a pass for five seconds of "wow". I mean, I'd need fifteen, plus.
Also she didn't ask for help from anyone to try to revive him (apart, of course, for the EMT call).
That last doesn't belong in parentheses. It's the important and correct thing. If I'm ever knocked out, the one (1) thing I want is someone calling an ambulance. Everything else is just chrome.
Pretty sure this date is o-v-e-r.
The date is over, because one of the participants is going into hospital. The relationship? Well, that was never likely to become serious. But when Gary recovers, I could imagine Maura insisting on delivering on her promise, just by way of an apology.
Last edited by Spidrift on Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

I know it's already been mentioned, but the whole nudity / not hearing the paramedics is kind of strange. Peggy doesn't look to be soaking wet, so she presumably has dried herself off so why not just use her towel for the 30 seconds it would take to get to her room?

And I know showers = noise cancellation in most fiction, but the shower doesn't look to be running anymore and if she has gotten out and had time to dry herself surely she would have heard something. Also paramedics tend to be a wee bit loud in my experience, their primary concern is getting in and treating the patient not tiptoeing. Not to mention an ambulance siren outside the apartment would surely reach over a shower faucet. I know the most likely explanation is comedy hijinks but still.

Also just a quick mention about Maura not getting Peggy, if she doesn't know Peggy is a nurse calling 911 seems logical. It also doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that as a wrestler Maura would have some knowledge of potentially serious injuries, and not to take chances.

I am sort of wondering about Maura's past relationships now. It could just be she's competitive by nature, but maybe she has had a string of bad experiences so that has lead to her feeling like she needs to "compete" lest she lose the guy. It kind of seemed like she had something of a breakthrough when she let her facade drop for Gary, so maybe another date or two and and one of Gary's "insightful moment" assurance's that she doesn't need to "compete", and should confident in herself could be good for her.

Although this date was a disaster from start to finish, a bedside movie night in the hospital seems like it could be in the cards. Of course if Maura sees a parade of Gary's unusually attractive female acquaintances come through that might put her competitiveness into overdrive. Although it could also convince her that Gary is indeed interested in women.

brasca

Post by brasca »

The house chore schedule was probably disrupted with Zii's departure. Maybe restocking the towels was her job and it's been neglected.

I don't know who the female paramedic is, but I hope this isn't just a one time appearance. I know there's been a lot of complaining about the departure from the core 3 people in this strip, but I like Peggy and think it would be cool to see some of her coworkers.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

edisnooM wrote:
Although this date was a disaster from start to finish, a bedside movie night in the hospital seems like it could be in the cards. Of course if Maura sees a parade of Gary's unusually attractive female acquaintances come through that might put her competitiveness into overdrive. Although it could also convince her that Gary is indeed interested in women.
If Maura sees Zii, Didi, Yuki, Sonya, Kiley, Amber, Chanelle, Peggy, Tracy, Sandra, Senna and Dillon in a costume, all visiting Gary (hey, it's fun to imagine) she is going to marry Gary and have 10 kids just to even the field :D
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Suntiger

Post by Suntiger »

This page is amazing, in so many ways. :))
Mutant for Hire wrote:While I am glad to see the comic being realistic and appropriate about head trauma, I would like to point out that real EMTs tend to be a bit more jaded and have seen it all.
Eh, I disagree. Given the past depictions of head trauma, if it's portraying head trauma in a more realistic manner now, it's because it's funnier that way. Or it will lead to funny shenanigans down the road (likely, as Peggy is a nurse at the hospital Gary's being taken to).

edisnooM

Post by edisnooM »

You know after the mention of Peggy's ex which I had completely forgotten about I went back re-read through the older comics, and I have to admit Peggy may not be as "nice" as I had in my head. I mean yeah she and Jim apparently had some issues, but this was someone she had been willing to consider marrying, and she just breaks up with him (with pasta no less) and immediately moves on to the literal next guy, and then immediately moved on from Erik too (though she wasn't really "with" Erik but still).

She also seems a tad selfish in the bedroom honestly, we do see her reciprocate for Gary after she's done (once anyway), but a lot of the time she seems to be focused on her desires first. Not necessarily all that worse than the other cast members, but certainly different than I had her remembered as.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

edisnooM wrote:I know it's already been mentioned, but the whole nudity / not hearing the paramedics is kind of strange. Peggy doesn't look to be soaking wet, so she presumably has dried herself off so why not just use her towel for the 30 seconds it would take to get to her room?

And I know showers = noise cancellation in most fiction, but the shower doesn't look to be running anymore and if she has gotten out and had time to dry herself surely she would have heard something. Also paramedics tend to be a wee bit loud in my experience, their primary concern is getting in and treating the patient not tiptoeing. Not to mention an ambulance siren outside the apartment would surely reach over a shower faucet. I know the most likely explanation is comedy hijinks but still.

Also just a quick mention about Maura not getting Peggy, if she doesn't know Peggy is a nurse calling 911 seems logical. It also doesn't seem out of the realm of possibility that as a wrestler Maura would have some knowledge of potentially serious injuries, and not to take chances.

I am sort of wondering about Maura's past relationships now. It could just be she's competitive by nature, but maybe she has had a string of bad experiences so that has lead to her feeling like she needs to "compete" lest she lose the guy. It kind of seemed like she had something of a breakthrough when she let her facade drop for Gary, so maybe another date or two and and one of Gary's "insightful moment" assurance's that she doesn't need to "compete", and should confident in herself could be good for her.

It's easy to over look.

Peggy was in the shower. The siren's weren't likely blaring when they arrived. It's obviously night time and once they get to were they need, they tend to shut them off. They already have Gary on the stretcher, so all the talking they would have done could easily have been over when she opened the door to leave the bathroom.

brasca

Post by brasca »

edisnooM wrote:You know after the mention of Peggy's ex which I had completely forgotten about I went back re-read through the older comics, and I have to admit Peggy may not be as "nice" as I had in my head. I mean yeah she and Jim apparently had some issues, but this was someone she had been willing to consider marrying, and she just breaks up with him (with pasta no less) and immediately moves on to the literal next guy, and then immediately moved on from Erik too (though she wasn't really "with" Erik but still).

She also seems a tad selfish in the bedroom honestly, we do see her reciprocate for Gary after she's done (once anyway), but a lot of the time she seems to be focused on her desires first. Not necessarily all that worse than the other cast members, but certainly different than I had her remembered as.
Yes, she's a terrible person for wanting to enjoy sex. 8-|

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Peggy makes most sense if you think of her as a basically very nice and very high-minded person who is very, very stressed out from her job, and usually pulled so taught that she can snap at any moment, but too nice to want to do so. Which is easy enough because it's exactly what the comic has said about her.

Her relationship with Jim was going bad, and came to a head over that dinner, when she had a couple too many stress-relieving drinks. One bit of accidental provocation from Sonya, two wrong sentences from Jim, and pow - pasta. Most other times, when she's having sex with anyone, it's primarily about relieving her stress - but she's nice about it, so she tries to make a point of giving her partner a good time during, and she doesn't mind talking afterwards. Someone asks her for help, she'll say yes, but if you don't ask, her first concern is keeping herself from going crazy - by acting a little crazy in her downtime.

And given that the thing that's keeping her this taught is saving peopke's lives, it's hard to criticise her for all this.

It's actually one of the most consistent and interesting bits of characterisation in Ma3.
---------
Spidrift