06-07-17 We do shower together

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Varanus

Re: 06-07-17 We do shower together

Post by Varanus »

Isn't it a bit presumptuous to jump from "he idly notes a scenario he finds attractive" to "he sees women as objects"?

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

In @Spidrift's defense (not that he needs help), it isn't too far of a leap for the potential archetype "boss" or "person of superior influence" we've been discussing... especially in this comic. Even Jung's helpfulness is offset by his cosplay needs. We haven't really run into an altruistic boss-type, thus it is easier to imagine someone being more of a douche-bag.

If we assume that Damien is aware of his effect on his female students/customers (both the trust they should be placing in him and his physical attractiveness), their current conversation is innocently awkward at best (if Damien is actually trying to hit on Tess [and Maura by extension])... sexual harassment potentially... or outright psycho-manipulation. And if he is trying to manipulate Tess into acting out more lesbian-y in order to pump up more interest in the Tempests as 'one of those' teams, one reason could be to bring more fame to his gym. And thus, an object rather than a person. He might be still posing the question out of a genuine desire to have their team be more successful, but what does he really get out of it and what was his motivation for asking (if anything other than being turned on by the thought of Maura & Tess shagging)? Also note that Tess is visibly addled by the line of inquiry, and is trying to justify herself to Damien as having some potential (although not at all) lesbian-like behaviors to Maura. Damien would earn some points in my book by calming Tess down and explaining why he decided to blurt out, rather than allow Tess to keep trying to argue herself into lesbianism with her BFF.

I'm not going to finish making an opinion on Damien, yet. Although he is certainly skirting a fine line that the flustered Tess is needing to be wary of.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

The Peggy-Gary-Maura movie date plot was already getting on my nerves and now we're back to the wrestling plot that I have no interest in. There are so many other hanging plot threads so why the hell are the writers focusing on this?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Varanus wrote:Isn't it a bit presumptuous to jump from "he idly notes a scenario he finds attractive" to "he sees women as objects"?
No, "presumptuous" is ... the way Damien is talking to Tess, really. He could just about claim "idly noting" if he began with "to be honest, I wasn't sure what the relationship between you two was" and carried through with "okay, I admit, I suffer from the usual guy fantasies". It'd still be somewhat impertinent, but it wouldn't be quite so asinine.

Tone matters.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

UnsightlyWalrus

Post by UnsightlyWalrus »

Could Tess be realizing that Gary might not be gay after all? Nah, there's not that much wisdom in MA3.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Spidrift wrote:No, "presumptuous" is ... the way Damien is talking to Tess, really. He could just about claim "idly noting" if he began with "to be honest, I wasn't sure what the relationship between you two was" and carried through with "okay, I admit, I suffer from the usual guy fantasies". It'd still be somewhat impertinent, but it wouldn't be quite so asinine.

Tone matters.
Tone matters but so do many other details, many of which we aren't yet privy too regarding these characters. I've seen people speak far more rudely/impertinently to each other than this many times in real life with no offense taken. Here Tess seemed more surprised/shocked that he got that impression rather than reacting in a "how dare you cross our professional relationship boundaries" manner. Again, they seem too casual with each other to take this as seriously as some here are.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

I don't get a 'casual' feel from them at all. Well, maybe a little from Damien. Tess (and Maura) literally bend over backwards borderline fawning over Damien in order to gain his approval/appreciation for the sport. Exactly what sport Damien is implying, here, is the rub.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

UnsightlyWalrus wrote:Could Tess be realizing that Gary might not be gay after all? Nah, there's not that much wisdom in MA3.
Or that she might be a lesbian, which is the more comedic outcome in this scenario.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

worldshaking00 wrote:I don't get a 'casual' feel from them at all. Well, maybe a little from Damien. Tess (and Maura) literally bend over backwards borderline fawning over Damien in order to gain his approval/appreciation for the sport. Exactly what sport Damien is implying, here, is the rub.
Well, I don't think that their desire for Damien's appreciation has much to do with wrestling. It's repeatedly been made very clear that they both want desperately to get into his pants. But yeah, the conclusion I draw here is that these women will put up with, even encourage, lines from Damien that would, let's face it, get a guy smacked in the face if he was a pudgy nerd. Which, okay, is not exactly unusual in Ma3. The DiDi Effect is merely the most extreme example.

These characters are, by and large, incredibly shallow, because it's that sort of comedy. It's not surprising that Matt was so confused when Kiley threw a wobbler at him over being exploited and manipulated; that was unusually deep by the standards of people he knows.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Wait, what? I'm not a lesbian!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)