Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

29-06-17 Be brave

Post by Giz »

Milnoc

Re: 29-06-17 Be brave

Post by Milnoc »

Oh, good! The three of them can now share one hug tub of popcorn! :))

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

Wow, he's self aware for once, at least.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Haha! Probably the best way things unfold out of the likely initial outcomes.
Anyway, to answer Gary's introspection: luck. He's a good looking guy, but his social ineptitude means the answer is luck.

magicrectangle

Post by magicrectangle »

Well, Spidrift called it, Gary didn't need any help from either woman, he is the architect of his own doom.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

That was seriously painful to read.
Yet still, I live...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

magicrectangle wrote:Well, Spidrift called it, Gary didn't need any help from either woman, he is the architect of his own doom.
It didn't seem exactly hard to predict, if one had been reading this comic for long enough. Though that bit where he forgets Maura's name is hopeless even by Gary's standards.

The thing I wonder is if there is anyone still reading this comic who identifies with Gary? Because the writers seem to regard him with fairly open contempt.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Peggy is just too cool at times. I'm glad she's able to not get flustered over small things.

I expect uhm... Maura... is not going to like her date with Gary. Forgetting her name once was bad enough, but she seems genuinely (and deservedly) peeved at Gary now. Even though Gary chose Maura over Peggy, I think that he needs to explain and apologize a little bit to her as soon as possible, if he wants to salvage their date's beginning. How she'd take it though, with her pre-/mis-conceptions about Gary and her competitive flirtatiousness, will be enjoyable. Maybe he'll talk to her before sitting down, and hopefully before getting any concessions - no need to give her any insanely expensive extra ammo to throw on him when he invariably puts his foot in his mouth.

I am also happy that Gary is not trying to be deceptive, and is still taking Tracy's advice. He has a lot to learn on human interaction still, but half-truths and not being more open are why most of the relationship issues in Ma3 fall apart. Practice makes perfect, Gary... or you'll get kicked in the nards or slapped in the face for being too open/honest.
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

X3N0-Life-Form

Post by X3N0-Life-Form »

Goddammit Gary, this was supposed to be piss-easy ...

rakedan

Post by rakedan »

'J' wrote:That was seriously painful to read.
An idiot on internet with memory problem.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

I think Thom Yorke put it best:

"You do it to yourself, you do
And that's what really hurts
Is you do it to yourself, just you
You and no-one else
You do it to yourself
You do it to yourself"
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

worldshaking00 wrote:Even though Gary chose Maura over Peggy, I think that he needs to explain and apologize a little bit to her as soon as possible, if he wants to salvage their date's beginning. How she'd take it though, with her pre-/mis-conceptions about Gary and her competitive flirtatiousness, will be enjoyable. Maybe he'll talk to her before sitting down, and hopefully before getting any concessions - no need to give her any insanely expensive extra ammo to throw on him when he invariably puts his foot in his mouth.
This IS Gary we're talking about. You know he's going to do NONE of that. He's most likely to conclude, after shooting his mouth off in this strip, that the best way to get through this evening is to talk as little as possible. Which will, of course, end badly for him. Get the popcorn ready folks, and enjoy the unfolding disaster.
Spidrift wrote: The thing I wonder is if there is anyone still reading this comic who identifies with Gary?
Every reader who's ever had a date go badly due mainly to their own words and actions, maybe?
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Even there, I'd think that the likely reaction would be "Well, I was an idiot, but at least I wasn't THAT big an idiot".
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Maura should really decide to just step out right now. :p

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I'd feel worse for Maura if she hadn't admitted that she only flirted with Gary because he was the only man in the room! These two are classic blind date material, except they did it to themselves. #-o