Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

20-06-17 That guy

Post by Giz »

Cortez

Re: 20-06-17 That guy

Post by Cortez »

I forgot Maura was hitting on Gary awhile back.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

So did he, apparently.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Giz, you've been working too hard! You're getting the storylines from different comics all mixed up! :))

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Looks like fun ahead! Although, I kind of hope the "safe route" for the movies is taken, in that Gary establishes that he was under the impression the dates were as friends... Though, knowing his clumsy record, there might be higher chance of the less desirable "juggling date" shenanigans. Aha

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

Don't you guys love his shirts?
Now he's wearing a Boku no Hero Academia shirt :)
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ah, yes; what happens when you wish for the ability to attract women, while failing to wish for the ability to manage your social life completely.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Pier777

Post by Pier777 »

Hey! I wonder if he would do the sensible thing and call back Maura to let her know that he just realized that he had a previous appointment at that time, could they reschedule?

Oh wait, of course not. XD.

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

What if Gary simply explained to both girls what happened and asked if all three of them could still go out together?

Or is my lack of dating experience showing? :p

rakedan

Post by rakedan »

MuchachoNL wrote:Don't you guys love his shirts?
Now he's wearing a Boku no Hero Academia shirt :)
Holy shit he is!
An idiot on internet with memory problem.

Dorgengoa
BANNED

Post by Dorgengoa »

Oh, god fucking damn it. Having your protagonist preemptively lampshade the situation doesn't make it better. There had better be some sort of new twist on this, instead of it falling into the same old formula that literally everyone else has done. Otherwise, what's even the point of doing it?
This is getting out of hand.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Pier777 wrote:Hey! I wonder if he would do the sensible thing and call back Maura to let her know that he just realized that he had a previous appointment at that time, could they reschedule?

Oh wait, of course not. XD.
It would be the sensible thing to do and maybe he will reschedule his date with Maura in the next strip. I'm willing to excuse Gary's clueless actions on account of inexperience, but an Archie reader like him should know this cannot end well.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Actually, although Gary is probably about to act like an idiot, this particular flavour of idiocy strikes me as somewhat realistic. Note that Gary is a classic geek; that is to say, among other things, he has very limited social skills or experience, but an encyclopedic knowledge of fictional material. This leads geeks to try to use the fiction they love as reference material in social situations. They hope that reality matches the fiction.

Now, Gary has just reminded us again that he's a fan of Archie comics, and shown that they're on his mind. So it's very possible that he will fall into patterns of behaviour borrowed from those comics, because he doesn't know what else to do. Sure, he'll know that this leads to disaster - but it's still what he subconsciously thinks people do.

It's the light comedy equivalent to suicide by cop - charging headlong into a pattern of behaviour borrowed from fiction, even though the fiction itself says that this is a terrible idea.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

While Gary & Peggy going out to the movie might seem on the surface as a date, there didn't seem to be any implicit tone of romanticism coming from Peggy. Gary was too stunned that someone wanted to go out with him... to an event he would find very enjoyable non-sexually. Considering Gary's lack of social experiences with women and the fact that he's been conditioned to 'perform sex' whenever Peggy and him get together, it makes sense that he'd expect a little more than popcorn as a treat at the theater. Peggy knows of Gary's hobbies & love of geekdom. Combining that with the resurgence of the comic genre in movies, it makes sense she's want to go out with Gary. Nicely wrapped up.

Maura, on the other hand, is flirting. Somehow I expect Tess to be joined at the hip too. The two are inseparable after all, and why not make Gary even more confused by adding even more women into the mix. Seems par for the course. Maybe Gary will recognize Maura & Tess from their wrestling lives. I'd expect that the venue choice by Marua is just because it is going to be full of people & socially agreeable. Whatever Maura thinks she's going to get out of Gary afterwards will depend on how much she hits on him during the feature presentation. I wouldn't expect Peggy to get jealous of this date participant increase, but I guess we'll have to see what hilarity ensues once the lights dim.

Having all these other sexy & attractive ladies wanting his attention certainly cushioned the let down by Didi. Some would argue that Gary dodged the bullet by having Didi look elsewhere for her orgasmotron 5000. Part of me agrees with that, but I think that Gary needs to learn her cure (from Kiley). Even if it is roleplay romance instead of honest Zii-level love, Gary could learn to channel that. I'd expect it would take at least one more volume, but weren't the creative team aiming for three more books in the series anyway?

If it is "that recent superhero movie" recently released (and Giz wants a good justification for drawing that special costume), it would make sense considering the strong cast members. Peggy cosplaying as Wonder Woman and Gary as Steve Trevor, possible 12 treatises of Clio reference. Just throwing that out there. Strap-on not very thematic, but optional I guess. Lasso of truth required!
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

TJgalon

Post by TJgalon »

Archie comic? what that?
"Somebody just stake me now"