2017-01-27 Table this wedding talk

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

brasca

Re: 2017-01-27 Table this wedding talk

Post by brasca »

Osaru Sensei wrote:... First time I've seen someone booze up a mark to get out of Naked Happy Fun Time...
Yes strangely enough Sandra turned the tables on Cammi since the teased has become the teaser.

samtheman

Post by samtheman »

RIP Sandra's liver.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Given her insatiable love of booze; I think it died long before this moment.
'J' wrote:
Fluffy wrote:Cammi knows the best (and only) option that will be considerate to all parties is to get Sandra so shitfaced that she'll forget the conversation ever happened.
well, that or have a mature conversation about it once sandra's sobered up

:|

:-s

;))

X_X :)) =))
It would be a reasonable option if it wasn't for a fact that Sandra has never been shown as having a solid memory of the previous night events the morning after a night of drunken debauchery.

Quote removed. The DAMNed
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I really think at this point that Cammi ought to arrange a talk with Pierre... this is a time bomb.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Storm-forge mystique: That's something Sandra needs to do on her own, since she's the one in a relationship with him.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Provided Sandra even remembers making a pass at Cammi, to begin with.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

'J' wrote:
Fluffy wrote:Cammi knows the best (and only) option that will be considerate to all parties is to get Sandra so shitfaced that she'll forget the conversation ever happened.
well, that or have a mature conversation about it once sandra's sobered up

:-s

;))

X_X :)) =))
Indeed. Grown adults being reasonable and talking about their problems candidly and responsibly doesn't make for wacky comic hijinks.

Lokitsu

Post by Lokitsu »

I'm starting to think you haven't met any grown adults lately.

I'm no longer surprised at the way folks will squirm, lie and scream their way out of "calmly and rationally discussing their personal problems and/or situations." The major difference between this comic and reality is that, in reality its not funny, it's just frustrating and sad.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

LegendaryKroc wrote:Indeed. Grown adults being reasonable and talking about their problems candidly and responsibly doesn't make for wacky comic hijinks.
Wanna bet? It depends on the skills of writer(s). Ross and Rachel were pros at having rational conversation, which made for some of some of 'Friends' funniest scenes.

True_Avery

Post by True_Avery »

You're going to hold up the criminal sociopaths of Friends up as well written representations of rational conversation? That cast is one dive bar away from being the cast of Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Play Kindred Spirits on the Roof! Play Starlight Vega! Play Ladykiller in a Bind!

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@True_Avery: Did you watch the scene I linked to? :-\

Ross was legitimately trying to do right by Rachel (which he plainly said), but she also made a fair counterpoint by telling Ross she didn't need him to 'look out for her'. She was well aware of her emotional state and wouldn't have held it against him if had he slept with her. Instead, she would have been comforted by it.

In the scene that follows at her apartment, they continue their conversation after Ross puts Emily to sleep. During which, Rachel admits she still has feelings for him and says it's "never off the table" with them. And after she goes to her bedroom, Ross realizes she's right.

So yes, those were two rational conversations about a candid subject, delivered in a way that it was legitimately funny. I'd say that was pretty good writing.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

i always feel just a little sad when someone tries to reference that show as a positive example of anything.
Yet still, I live...

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Agreed. Especially in regards to Ross and Rachel.

From what I can recall, their relationship wasn't remotely stable; repeatedly breaking up and getting back together - hurting others along the way because they couldn't let go of one another.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

'J' wrote:i always feel just a little sad when someone tries to reference that show as a positive example of anything.
You mean, a popular long-running show that was successful, won awards, spawned imitators, and is remembered fondly almost 10 years after its finale? 'cuz that's a whole list of positives right there.

Also, neither of you refuted the original point being made. Instead, you took digs at the series itself.
Fluffy wrote:Agreed. Especially i regards to Ross and Rachel.

From what I can recall, their relationship wasn't remotely stable; repeatedly breaking up and getting back together
So basically, they were more of a real-life couple than a storybook one. 'cuz that's how many relationships are; including married coupls. They occasionally have blow ups, they can't reach an agreement so one of 'em walks out, she's not speaking to him and vice versa, but -- it doesn't mean they've stopped caring. They eentually reconcile and laugh about it, years later.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Gotoh wrote:
LegendaryKroc wrote:Indeed. Grown adults being reasonable and talking about their problems candidly and responsibly doesn't make for wacky comic hijinks.
Wanna bet? It depends on the skills of writer(s). Ross and Rachel were pros at having rational conversation, which made for some of some of 'Friends' funniest scenes.
...Maybe. But I've seen many comedic scenes built on funny misunderstandings. That's why Mistaken for Cheating, Mistaken for Gay and dozens of other such tropes are things (when played for laughs).

Link fixed. The DAMNed