2017-01-03 Taking a vaycay

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Eisu

Re: 2017-01-03 Taking a vaycay

Post by Eisu »

Tatiana's comment is why she re-panicked, that's the whole gag of the strip. She was already calm, she was already okay with knowing that she can take her vacation days, but then Tatiana comes in and basically called Lavali weak for taking vacation days and that's why Lavali is back to "wanting to go back to work", the sudden jump is the JOKE. If you don't get that, then, oh well, that's all there is to that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

She may not be panicking, but she's looking amazingly twitchy and unhappy in panels 1 and 2... Oh well, never mind.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Because she's NEVER taken vacation days, so now it's going to be Monday the next day and she's wondering if it really is okay for her not to be at work, so, what I was going for in the first two panel was "unsure"and "worried"... but hey, if someone got the wrong interpretation, that I just drew it wrong, sorry.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

No, really - any problem here is either with me or with the writing. Lavali's facial expressions and body language match her dialogue just fine; very unsure and worried. I'm sure that the emotions you depict are just what Dave intended. I just don't find them quite consistent with her previous responses, is all.

(Well, I also have some trouble believing in someone who works in France who never takes vacation days... But I guess that there must be some workaholics in that country.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

rogermart

Post by rogermart »

Spidrift wrote:And soddit, she works in France, not USA. Is she the only person in the company office during August?
*Fixed... Even in Japan there are paid vacation days by law.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

But do people always take them? That is the country that invented the word Karōshi, after all.

Quote removed. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

lmaaaao.....anyway

Poor Lavali..I don't even have a "real job" yet but I still stress about taking days off even if I feel ill and then deciding to just work through it and hope I don't throw up (immediate go home). Need that paycheck!

I wonder what job she's working herself toward?? Executive? OR more into the head mocap department or something?

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

rogermart wrote:
Spidrift wrote:And soddit, she works in France, not USA. Is she the only person in the company office during August?
*Fixed... Even in Japan there are paid vacation days by law.
Then your "fix" is factually incorrect, since we get paid leave (i.e. sick days, maternity leave, etc.) and paid vacations over here too.

Itrogash

Post by Itrogash »

Spidrift wrote:(Well, I also have some trouble believing in someone who works in France who never takes vacation days... But I guess that there must be some workaholics in that country.)
I doubt it's legal. In my country, when you have a leftover vacation days at the end of the year, you have to use them up till September next year. I doubt it's much different in the rest of European countries.