Dangerously Chloe 5-01-17 Chapter 18 Not What She Seems

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: Dangerously Chloe 5-01-17 Chapter 18 Not What She Seems

Post by Don Alexander »

Wow, I had completely forgotten Tandy showed up in this comic.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Cortez wrote:Not really that trope, since VitriolicBestBuds doesn't have one acting as the other's lackey.
1. Tandy isn't a lackey. If she obliges Gabriel, it's because she chooses to, not because she's being forced to.
2. Which doesn't discredit the trope being used, if you look at their interactions with each other.
She is and it does, because VitriolicBestBuds doesn't have one as the other's lackey.

Every time we've seen them together, Tandy is doing Gabby's bidding. For reasons that have not been explained.

She does snark at Gabriel, but that just means that she falls under the Servile Snarker trope or Sarcastic Devotee.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

@Cortez: Did you even look at the examples brasca linked to? :-\

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Yes, which lands in the Servile Snarker and Sarcastic Devotee spectrum.

Tandy ultimately still does whatever Gabriel tells her, which isn't how VitriolicBestBuds works. Especially since we only Tandy snarking at Gabriel and not the other way around, while VitriolicBestBuds goes both ways.

Tandy also showed Servile Snarker/Sarcastic Devotee tendencies when working under Melissa, so it's not even exclusive to Gabriel.

You'd have more a point if Tandy ever actually said no to Gabriel. Like i said before, she doesn't seem to approve of Gabriel bullying Naomi, but helps Naomi anyway.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Cortez wrote:Yes, which lands in the Servile Snarker and Sarcastic Devotee spectrum..
She doesn't work for Gabrielle, she does favors for her. That's two different things.

What you're describing would be someone like Lukas. And even then, it doesn't descredit the trope being used, since vitriolic best buds isn't dependent on the friends being equals.

If Tandy hasn't refused to comply with any of Gabrielle's requests, it's by choice. Not obligation. Gabby can't order her to do anything, but she can (and has) asked.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Gotoh wrote:
Cortez wrote:Yes, which lands in the Servile Snarker and Sarcastic Devotee spectrum..
She doesn't work for Gabrielle, she does favors for her. That's two different things.
No, she does her bidding. She's a lackey.
since vitriolic best buds isn't dependent on the friends being equals.
It is actually, that's the point. Both parties are supposed to be equally Vitrolic. I don't think you understand the trope.

I mean read the article and the examples. Spider-Man/Wolverine, Raphael and Casey Jones. Nothing there seems close to the relationship between Gabrielle and Tandy.

Except again, Seville Snarker and Sarcastic Devotee.

At the least, it's a one sided Vitrolic friendship, since Gabrielle usually isn't Vitrolic back, even though she the meanest of the two.

If Tandy hasn't refused to comply with any of Gabrielle's requests, it's by choice. Not obligation.
And yet, we have no evidence of that. We've had Tandy disagreeing with something Tandy is planning, but helping her anyway.

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

Oh good.

I'm glad to see characters from Artemis Academy again.

I can't help but wonder if Gabrielle's accent is fake
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

brasca

Post by brasca »

Cortez wrote:
Gotoh wrote:
No, she does her bidding. She's a lackey.
since vitriolic best buds isn't dependent on the friends being equals.
It is actually, that's the point. Both parties are supposed to be equally Vitrolic. I don't think you understand the trope.

I mean read the article and the examples. Spider-Man/Wolverine, Raphael and Casey Jones. Nothing there seems close to the relationship between Gabrielle and Tandy.

Except again, Seville Snarker and Sarcastic Devotee.

At the least, it's a one sided Vitrolic friendship, since Gabrielle usually isn't Vitrolic back, even though she the meanest of the two.

If Tandy hasn't refused to comply with any of Gabrielle's requests, it's by choice. Not obligation.
And yet, we have no evidence of that. We've had Tandy disagreeing with something Tandy is planning, but helping her anyway.
On this rare occasion I'm actually concurring with Gotoh. Referring back to my examples, lackeys do not intentionally humiliate their bosses. However, we don't know enough about Gabrielle and Tandy or Amelia for that matter to make any accurate assessments of their friendship. Personally I think Gabrielle and Tandy aren't all that different than Cerise and Melissa in their own clique except these 2 seem to be evenly matched and the marginally weaker of the two (whoever that may be) isn't so insecure that she'd resort to the measures Cerise ultimately does to get ahead.

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

TheEighth wrote:I'm glad to see characters from Artemis Academy again.
Agreed.
TheEighth wrote:I can't help but wonder if Gabrielle's accent is fake
She still had it while under the effects of Tandy's truth massage.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

brasca wrote:[
On this rare occasion I'm actually concurring with Gotoh. Referring back to my examples, lackeys do not intentionally humiliate their bosses.
They do actually, it's a very common occurrence to have a lackey constantly mock their boss's plans.

It's pretty much all Lawrence does, constantly mock his boss Dr.Nefarious and his plans.For Example.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Cortez wrote:
brasca wrote:[
On this rare occasion I'm actually concurring with Gotoh. Referring back to my examples, lackeys do not intentionally humiliate their bosses.
They do actually, it's a very common occurrence to have a lackey constantly mock their boss's plans.

It's pretty much all Lawrence does, constantly mock his boss Dr.Nefarious and his plans.For Example.
The exception to this rule are bosses who are too arrogant to notice or can't get anyone better to assist them. Sheego could be a supervillain in her own right, but chooses to work for Dr. Drakken because she's too bored to scheme. Gabrielle and Tandy are on the same footing. They're both students at Artemis Academy and seem to be evenly matched. Now Gabrielle may think she is the leader of their group and Tandy doesn't care enough to set her straight or prefers to be a girl of action instead of a plotter, but as seen in the strips I referred to she does have her limits when she starts treating her as a servant. It's still interesting that she should be willing to assist Gabrielle in spying on her foster sister, but perhaps she sees this as an exercise and willing to practice or maybe she's discovered a lot of paranormal things that surround Teddi and interested in that.

Sk'thloq

Post by Sk'thloq »

Don Alexander wrote:Wow, I had completely forgotten Tandy showed up in this comic.
I had completely forgotten who Tandy was. I had to go back and reread MC. God, I miss it and EC.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sk'thloq R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

:ymhug: HUGS! :ymhug:

tau neutrino

Post by tau neutrino »

Wouldn't you expect compromising photos to be candid pictures?

Gotoh

Post by Gotoh »

Sk'thloq wrote:I had to go back and reread MC. God, I miss it and EC.
That makes two of us.

TtheLurker

Post by TtheLurker »

Gotoh wrote:
Sk'thloq wrote:I had to go back and reread MC. God, I miss it and EC.
That makes two of us.
For those of us that only read DC, can someone please enlighten the uninitiated?