So.......dead?

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

CEOIII

So.......dead?

Post by CEOIII »

Cause they said "coming back sometime in May" and it's sneaking up on July......

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: So.......dead?

Post by Don Alexander »

... and Giz wrote somewhere that it will likely be August.

That is not dead which can eternally not be updated.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

brasca

Post by brasca »

Beat me to it DA. Here's the linkviewtopic.php?f=10&t=16661

And the quote from Giz
"SDB will more than likely be delayed for other reasons. I signed up to do Archie Meets Ramones last Summer and it appears it's about to drop in my lap (I honestly didn't know if it was going to happen or not at this point.) This one shot is a 40 page packed story that I will have to pencil, ink and letter in 2 months (June/July). That's basically 5 pages a week plus Ma3. So yeah... SDB might be pushed to August. AND! While I'm drawing those 40 pages plus Ma3, I'll have to create art for our next Kickstarter that should launch early August. Oh, and I'm working on 9 pages for the Reverse Ma3 story, and 5 pages for Dangerously Chloe (we didn't fund it, but I'm drawing it anyway.) So yeah... I really wish I didn't have to sleep, but even as is, it's gonna be tough."

It'll be back. Just have to wait longer.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Guess it might have been better if this had been officially mentioned on this board as well as on the board for a completely different comic, but yeah, we just have to wait a bit for volume 3.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

We now have a more formal and widely broadcast announcement, which is a good thing. The bad thing is that the slippage is now to September, When we might see one strip a week. Maybe.

As I said before, I've watched too many promising projects, in too many industries, not to be deeply cynical about this. Maybe we'll see some more SDB in, say, 2017, maybe not, I reckon. Sorry, but my cranky realist filters are now fully active.

The other change that slipped in there quietly is Giz talking about "finishing up" SDB, which I don't think is a phrasing she's used before. We never had any estimates as to how long SDB would run that I recall, but we've never had hints of termination either. This looks to me like Giz and Shouri, having started to get good paying work in the mainstream comics industry, are coming to the conclusion that the financially unreliable Webcomics are just too much extra load. I'm sure that they want to end this on some kind of satisfactory note, but I certainly won't bet on us getting a full volume 3.

(And it's not like they've made it hard for themselves. Ruby's personal story is potentially coming to some kind of satisfactory conclusion, with her soon likely having a job, a sex life on her own terms, and enough confidence in her own strengths that she can make a peace of sorts with Amber. Amber then remains a bit of a cypher, but has her boyfriend, which relationship doesn't have to crash and burn, despite the high logical possibility. And if Angel gets over Jerzy, with Richie and Zii's "help", Dillon can return to Ma3 guest appearances with a nice hot boyfriend. It's a bit of a feeble ending if it's not done well, but it's not crash-to-black. One might almost wonder if Giz has been setting this up for a while now.)
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

We need some resolution to the Dillon/Ray story

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Not really. I mean, it'd be nice to get some more detail and development there, but we don't need it. Dillon fancies Ray, but Ray likes his "on the down low" delusion, so Dillon isn't going to get Ray. Dillon gets Jerzy, and Ruby has persuaded him to be a bit less greedy, so he can just look a bit sad that he'll never get to shag his first love, then walk away feeling like a better person. Ray can shag whoever Amber finds for him. The end.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

At this time we still don't know how long the strip will go or how long it was ever intended to go. Perhaps it was always going to have a limited run which seems likely considering faster character development here than with the cast of Menage a 3. As such it wouldn't feel too hasty for things to progress in such a way where the resolution doesn't feel rushed. And since the cast lives in Montreal it can easily be merged with Menage a 3.

CEOIII

Post by CEOIII »

Spidrift wrote:Not really. I mean, it'd be nice to get some more detail and development there, but we don't need it. Dillon fancies Ray, but Ray likes his "on the down low" delusion, so Dillon isn't going to get Ray. Dillon gets Jerzy, and Ruby has persuaded him to be a bit less greedy, so he can just look a bit sad that he'll never get to shag his first love, then walk away feeling like a better person. Ray can shag whoever Amber finds for him. The end.
Ray and Angel, maybe?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:At this time we still don't know how long the strip will go or how long it was ever intended to go. Perhaps it was always going to have a limited run which seems likely considering faster character development here than with the cast of Menage a 3. As such it wouldn't feel too hasty for things to progress in such a way where the resolution doesn't feel rushed. And since the cast lives in Montreal it can easily be merged with Menage a 3.
We've not previously had any hint that this was such a short-run comic, and some threads would have to be aborted; Amber's love life would go from being a big, complex issue to a trivial problem with a quick fix, just for a start. I'm getting a very strong sense of what was meant to be a long-term project being rather hastily "finished up" because of more profitable options.

If I'm right, I'm not blaming Giz and Shouri, but I am going to be sad.
CEOIII wrote:Ray and Angel, maybe?
Angel is being channeled towards Richie. Occam's razor applies, and cuts deep when it's being used to kill a comic.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

One other possibility is a long hiatus much like the one that occurred during the run of Cool Cat Studios. While I would prefer not to have a break that takes a few years if that's what it takes to get a complete story without rushed plots so be it.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

See the other currently active thread. Let's just say that I feel vindicated.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Good for you! It's nice to be right about something that ultimately is bad news for us all.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Believe me, I don't enjoy it. But this way, I was prepared for disappointment and I have the small consolation of at least having been right.
---------
Spidrift