2016-02-19 Lower their guard while under covers

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

testlyric

Re: 2016-02-19 Lower their guard while under covers

Post by testlyric »

UnsightlyWalrus wrote:
vampire hunter D wrote:Isnt Jean also a girls' name in France
Depends how you pronounce it. If you pronounce it like pants, then it's a girls name. But the actual pronounciation in this case is Sean.

Jean Michel Jarre is not a woman but very much a man who is also one of the fathers of electronic music.
Nope, "Jean" is only a masculine name in France.
It's the French form of "John" (Prince John Lackland = Prince Jean sans terre, St. John = St Jean...), and it's pronounced [ʒɑ̃] as Bambikles said, "ean" being a nasalized vowel that doesn't exist in English. It's NOT pronounced as in "James Dean" or "blue jeans".

The feminine form is actually spelt "Jeanne" (Joan of Ark = Jeanne d'Arc), and it's pronounced as in "Ann".

When they dub American or English movies into French, all the names that have a common French form with a nearly identical spelling (Richard, Arthur, Mark as Marc, Luke as Luc, Benjamin, Robert, Gilbert, Sarah, Elizabeth, Marie...) are always pronounced the way the French names are pronounced, while names like James, John, Jim, Sean or Peter would be pronounced the English way (or what a Frenchman imagines is the English way).
But for names like "Jean" or "Jules" which are feminine in English and always masculine in French, they would use more or less the English pronounciation, so as to avoid confusion. (So Djools instead of Jül.)

Recently, we're starting to have some French kids named Sean, too. But it did not exist when I grew up.

Tako

Post by Tako »

How the hell is she going to be able to pass for a boy? She isn't androgynous at all.

brasca

Post by brasca »

wiseguy wrote:Dill: "Jean, this is my friend Rudy"

Rudy: "Yo"

Dill: :and that is my frenemy Angel"

Angel: "whatever"
That would be quite the crossover.

This might be good for Eloise. She can be ambitious when she wants to be, but every other time she's lazy and gets by on other people's help. Perhaps pretending to be a boy might be a good exercise in learning about the subject you intend to model which is what she is getting paid to do.

testlyric

Post by testlyric »

Tako wrote:How the hell is she going to be able to pass for a boy? She isn't androgynous at all.
Also, that.
I mean from panel 2 to panel 4...
How the hell did she hide all of that? Even binding herself would not be enough!

TJgalon

Post by TJgalon »

Well, to be fair, she could pass her self off as a boy... who was born a women.
"Somebody just stake me now"

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

testlyric wrote:
Tako wrote:How the hell is she going to be able to pass for a boy? She isn't androgynous at all.
Also, that.
I mean from panel 2 to panel 4...
How the hell did she hide all of that? Even binding herself would not be enough!
Not true, I have a friend who has about the same size of breasts as Eloise does but she recently cosplayed as a male character from Haikyuu and I dunno how, binded herself well enough to hide her breasts and actually looks like she has a male chest. Binding technology has move forward these days I guess...

Here she is cosplaying as Tifa, Power Girl and Sakaki (and pulling it off, I might add):

And here she is in a very recent cosplay being a boy:

Jackass Mask

Post by Jackass Mask »

Yes, you can bind down even the most buxom chest. However, the health risks attached to prolonged binding over multiple occasions can be quite detrimental to your health leading to compressed or broken ribs, especially with improper binding. There are commercial, and prescription, chest binders available in order to better facilitate these needs but they can still be a problem depending on your bust size.

If curious, I have a friend who is FTM.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

Yes, very true, but the point here is it's very possible to actually bind down dem chests... health risks and logistics of a fictional character aside.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

And it was as if a million forumites cried out at once: "Wooooot! :x "
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

I would guess 90% of Americans, confronted with the male name "Jean," would picture this guy: