10-02-16 Love dessert

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

wiseguy

Re: 10-02-16 Love dessert

Post by wiseguy »

Ruby you safe, at least until he decides to say "lebasato dar biyar" :ymdevil: 8-}
ImageImage

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:
Error of Logic wrote:He may be using dialogue supplied to him by his friend at work.
That's actually quite possible. Well, he may be either taking advice or just parroting lines from someone he's asked for advice on how to work a relationship, without realising that repeating what they say to Ruby, unfiltered, makes him look like a total oaf.

In which case, Ruby may let him off incredibly likely. Another woman would think that he was being incredibly presumptuous and pushy here, and tell him where to get off. But Ruby is a major character in a comedy plot, so she almost certainly won't do that, probably because she doesn't want to lose one of her few friends, isn't that clear on dating etiquette herself, and secretly wants to give the idea a go anyway.
If Andy is still taking advice from Gina then he is as dim as people think he is. The first time was understandable for lack of any other experts, but he can ask Dillon now. And I don't see what the harm in broaching the subject of taking things to the next level. If he doesn't ask he'll never know.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Well, yes, I think that he's as dim as I think he is. Not that I think that consulting Dillon would be any smarter.

And if he'd broached the subject, fine; that's how relationships go, and both he and Ruby deserve some clarity about where things are going. But he didn't just do that; he appears to be taking it for granted that Ruby will be happy to "take things to the next level". Actually, I'm a little amazed that the lynch mobs aren't out for him on this thread; I'm putting this down to dimness, comedy, or a misunderstanding, but really - he's looking like a jerk who thinks he's entitled to get into a girl's pants after a couple of dates and a couple of kisses.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Andy and Dillon don't interact as often as Andy and Gina do, and he considers her a friend. He has no reason to mistrust her advice, since last date's snafu was an honest mistake...

As for cause for lynching; Andy is too nice for it to seem likely he feels entitled to Ruby's nether regions. To him, 'the next level' seems more likely to be something innocuous, like formally calling each other boyfriend and girlfriend, or something similar.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yes, logically, Andy should be most likely to go to Gina for advice - and he may well have done so, or perhaps just mentioned things in casual conversation, causing Gina to offer some ideas. But he has that weird hero-worship thing with Dillon, and to be fair, Dillon knows Ruby, whereas Gina doesn't. So we might guess that he'd go to Dillon.

Objectively, we can see that Gina is overly focused on sex and Dillon is a flake, but Andy won't see any of that, because he's clueless.

And I agree that it's quite possible that, to him, "the next level" is something innocuous, like holding hands and taking a walk by the river. (He already calls Ruby his girlfriend.) The only thing is, he mentioned this as something that they'd do in place of dessert, which does sound a bit more significant. Still, no firm guesses; we'll see. There'll certainly be some misunderstandings along the way.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Wouldn't it be amusing if 'the next level' has something to do with the swimming lessons Andy still believes Ruby needs?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

After dinner on a Saturday night?
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Well, yes, I think that he's as dim as I think he is. Not that I think that consulting Dillon would be any smarter.

And if he'd broached the subject, fine; that's how relationships go, and both he and Ruby deserve some clarity about where things are going. But he didn't just do that; he appears to be taking it for granted that Ruby will be happy to "take things to the next level". Actually, I'm a little amazed that the lynch mobs aren't out for him on this thread; I'm putting this down to dimness, comedy, or a misunderstanding, but really - he's looking like a jerk who thinks he's entitled to get into a girl's pants after a couple of dates and a couple of kisses.
Perhaps to you, but then again you also suspect that Amber and Ruby's parents are secretly terrible on the flimsiest of evidence. Why think the worst of people until you know better?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm not thinking the worst of Andy. I'm putting this down to dimness at worst, comedy misunderstanding at best. I'm just surprised that the usual judgemental horde hasn't descended on this thread to say what a terrible sexist pig he is.

And as I've said before, the evidence on the Larose parents may be skimpy, but it all points the same way; everything we know they've done, they've got wrong in some way. This isn't at all secret, it's highly visible. Absent other evidence, I have to assume that they're being deliberately drawn as pretty useless. Whereas Andy has often been shown as kind of sweet and good-hearted, if a bit dim, so I'm happy to guess that this is dimness.

(Though he has been a tiny bit presumptuous and pushy about his relationship with Ruby before now. I think that this is mostly because the plot demands it; otherwise, that relationship would take forever to go anywhere. Still, I do see it as a character flaw.)

Anyway, wild guess time: Ruby spends the next three or four strips talking herself into going for this, because she doesn't want to see herself as a coward -- and come Saturday night, Andy gets a pleasant but energetic surprise, having meant something completely different.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

I'm also surprised there isn't more of a reaction. Perhaps some of the more short tempered posters imploded after the previous controversies.

Most evidence we've seen confirms that Andy is dim which means he doesn't know any better, but even if he did I hardly see what the problem is in ascertaining what you are getting out of a relationship. If Ruby says no and he keeps pushing then that would be a problem, but he's never going to find out unless he asks.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Andy could say "...and maybe we could talk about you and me taking things a bit further", or "...and maybe we could share a hot dessert" <wink> <wink>. Anything that allows Ruby agency would be fine. But his wording here assumes that she'll be cool with this big decision; it implies that she'd be rude to say No.

It's a subtlety of phrasing, and it's possible that the writers didn't even mean it this way; Ruby would be quite capable of tying herself in emotional knots over the idea of a relaxed chat on the subject. But I do think that Andy presumes too much, if only out of cluelessness.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

Spidrift wrote:After dinner on a Saturday night?
The pool would be nice and private; Andy thinks he knows that Ruby is embarrassed by her swimming skills, after all. ;)

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Andy could say "...and maybe we could talk about you and me taking things a bit further", or "...and maybe we could share a hot dessert" <wink> <wink>. Anything that allows Ruby agency would be fine. But his wording here assumes that she'll be cool with this big decision; it implies that she'd be rude to say No.

It's a subtlety of phrasing, and it's possible that the writers didn't even mean it this way; Ruby would be quite capable of tying herself in emotional knots over the idea of a relaxed chat on the subject. But I do think that Andy presumes too much, if only out of cluelessness.
Ruby is a businesswoman so perhaps Andy thinks it would be best to be straight forward instead of dropping hints which we know she'd never get anyway.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Has Ruby shown serious cluelessness about hints? She was a bit naive when she first arrived in the apartment, obviously, and she suffers from wishful thinking, and she's stuck with being a comedy character - but usually, well, she does honestly seem like one of the brighter characters in this comic.

And, again, Andy could be straightforward without presuming Ruby's consent. "And maybe we could talk about you and me going to the next level" would be clear and polite.
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Sometimes her focus tends to make her myopic and inexperience is a problem too so yes I think she could miss certain hints. You do remember that Zii hit on her and she was totally oblivious to it.

And why does everything have to be phrased in such a way to avoid a raid from the political correctness police? Communications has been revolutionized beyond imagination and yet people are too afraid to say anything because if it is not written or spoken in a certain way then they must be evil. Andy is not the smoothest operator, but seriously your issue with his words is a mistake even people with experience could make.