27-01-16 See you on set

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

27-01-16 See you on set

Post by Shouri »

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 27-01-16 See you on set

Post by Don Alexander »

A wild Ruby appears!! :-o

By the way, I'm amazed at the sizes of these beds. In my apartment, bunking with me means FLOOR. :ymdevil:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Canada. God's own country, where every bed is a double. Though this two-person apartment is about to become relatively crowded.

Now, what's going through Ruby's mind? At first I just assumed that she was simply happy to have sight of her favourite living (but perfectly non-threatening) yaoi fantasy every night, but now I suspect that she's planning something, probably involving Julian. (Either way, she really needs to find a better outlet for her libido than this.) Her new-found capacity for scheming is still a bit worrying. And Dillon really isn't the best person at guessing when he's being played.

Great range of facial expressions today, incidentally.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

The stick talk made me initially jump to the thought of her pegging Dillon, but that's a bit out there.
I agree with Spid; she probably has a plan for close up live action yaoi every night.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Great save there, Nathan - you get an A+ for an excellent execution. :ymtongue:
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:Canada. God's own country, where every bed is a double. Though this two-person apartment is about to become relatively crowded.

Now, what's going through Ruby's mind? At first I just assumed that she was simply happy to have sight of her favourite living (but perfectly non-threatening) yaoi fantasy every night, but now I suspect that she's planning something, probably involving Julian. (Either way, she really needs to find a better outlet for her libido than this.) Her new-found capacity for scheming is still a bit worrying. And Dillon really isn't the best person at guessing when he's being played.

Great range of facial expressions today, incidentally.
If it is Ruby's intention to get Julian into Dillon's bed she may gain a constant source of yaoi, but where will she sleep?

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

It really shows how far Ruby is getting on feeling comfy with the opposite sex and her libido. It feels like yesterday when she felt pissed over the idea of sharing a bed with Dillon.
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"Shooting is about to start."

Looking at panel 2, Amber is sure nearly firing her lazors!! *pewpew*
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

wm247

Post by wm247 »

DrAngryEd wrote:It really shows how far Ruby is getting on feeling comfy with the opposite sex and her libido. It feels like yesterday when she felt pissed over the idea of sharing a bed with Dillon.
Rules of Acquisition:
6) Never allow family to stand in the way of opportunity
7) Keep your ears open and your eyes on the mark.
9) Opportunity plus instinct equals profit.
10) Greed is eternal.
21) Never place friendship above profit.

Ruby is getting more and more Ferengi-like as time goes by. :ymdevil:

KittyHat

Post by KittyHat »

That's quite the death glare. I never would have expected to see Amber's face to that!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:If it is Ruby's intention to get Julian into Dillon's bed she may gain a constant source of yaoi, but where will she sleep?
Probably in the wardrobe. With her trusty cameraphone.

(Slightly more seriously, I assume that the plan won't involve Julian spending all night in Dillon's bed - certainly not every night. Though even if this is her general scheme, she may well be winging things just now; details can come later.)
DrAngryEd wrote:It really shows how far Ruby is getting on feeling comfy with the opposite sex and her libido. It feels like yesterday when she felt pissed over the idea of sharing a bed with Dillon.
Well, yes; Ruby has grown, a lot. But in fact, she let Dillon into her bed fairly easily, when he wanted not to sleep alone and she remembered that he was gay. Then he started bawling in his sleep, and that pissed her off.

Meanwhile, it occurs to me that having Ray around the place somewhat regularly could have its own risks. If, for example, Ray made an innocently tasteless remark about Ruby trusting Dillon after Dillon had sex with Amber, things could go south very fast.

And talking of Ray moving in - at the moment, nobody's worried about the details of this arrangement. But it'll mean Ray giving up the place he's currently renting. If he and Amber decide to make the arrangement semi-permanent, with Ray making a contribution to household costs once he's getting paid, well, that'd leave Ruby permanently stuck in Dillon's bed, unless she buys her own or does find her own apartment. Alternatively, if Amber and Ray decide they prefer to keep some distance, or if they break up, maybe the comic will gain a new apartment location, with Ruby and Ray sharing. (Though personally, my dream happy result for Ruby is still her sharing an apartment with Peggy.)

Yeah, I'm over-thinking. Talking of which, do we gather that Nathan is being a cheapskate and paying Ray a month in arrears, unlike Dillon and Amber, who seem to have paid Ruby in advance?
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

This seems like it will backfire on Ruby, considering how much she complained about Amber and Ray having sex last time.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ruby has presumably been putting up with a lot of that, if Ray has already been staying over semi-regularly. But that complaint was about the unfamiliar noises of heterosexual sex, and was, I suspect, most especially triggered by Amber bagging Ray when Ruby was fantasising about Dillon and Ray together - which is now a lost cause. Nowadays, those noises will just be ... noises.

Anyway, you're ignoring Ruby's unique feature as an Ma3-universe character; she adapts, quickly and efficiently. She isn't the same person she was when she first walked through the door. She's got used to a lot of stuff, annoying noises from her annoying sister doubtless included. With Ruby, past actions are no guide to future behaviour.

(Sometimes, of course, she even comes to enjoy things - though listening to Amber's shag-nanigans won't be on that list. She didn't want a boyfriend; now, she clearly kind of likes having someone a bit cute to hang out with, and she realises that the crucial part of "boyfriend" is "friend". And she was appalled by gay male sex the first time she accidentally witnessed it; now, she's an addicted voyeur.)
---------
Spidrift

christopheftw

Post by christopheftw »

Even more opportunity for hijinks or shenanigans!

But I'm still uncertain how stable Ray's place is in Amber's/Dillon's/Ruby's world. He is evolving in terms of sexual experience and interests and yet his actions have been consistently ruled primarily by ambition. He is most likely as nonintellectual and innocent as he comes across, but a small part of me still wonders if he's not what he seems and is playing everyone.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Hidden motives are rare in the Ma3 universe. Hidden motives driving subtle long-term plans, created by masterly deceivers, are veritable hens' teeth.

I'm sorry, but everyone probably knows what I've got to type here: WYSIWYG. Ray is driven by ambition the way that Izz is driven by admiration for Zii, sure, but he has shown even less smarts than her - and all those attempts to see Izz as some kind of Lex Luthor figure are hilarious enough.

And talking of hilarity: TCampbell once said that, as a point of style, at least 80% of Ma3 strips are sure to end in joke punchlines. That says plenty about these comics; they are consciously constructed as four-panel jokes, albeit each then fitting into the context of an ongoing character-driven narrative. But each really needs to stand alone to some extent. Subtle, intricate, devious plans really don't fit that style.
---------
Spidrift