16-12-15 Not tomboyish at all

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 16-12-15 Not tomboyish at all

Post by Don Alexander »

DUCK DUCK!!! :ymhug: :ymhug:

@TheResult: I think you generally mean the sequence where Amber and Gary are in the shower and Dillon tosses them out?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Justine_1692

Post by Justine_1692 »

Looks like Ramona didn't read her Newspeak Dictionary.

JerrBear

Post by JerrBear »

Cortez wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:I'm quite amused that Mr. Super-Duper Gay, Dillon, is spouting anti-queer nonsense worthy of a big-C Conservative. Previously thinking Angel was just an emo Harlequin guy, he has now quickly turned 180° and defines Angel by her boobs... /:)
Unfortunately, this sorta thing isn't uncommon. Like their are gay men that are biphobic for example.
Indeed. I've met plenty of Biphobic and Transphobic Gay Men. Despite our history of calling for accepting of people-as-they-are, it's not too uncommon to meet other Gay Men who aren't accepting. In my own experience with my community: Gay, Caucasian, Young, Able-bodied, and Not-Fat seems to be the preferred representation; especially as the politics start shifting towards more "socially conservative" attitudes. Though, I want to stress that YMMV with experience.

Edit: I don't believe that most people in the Gay Community are like I mentioned above. A little under half. I've also experienced the opposite.
Last edited by JerrBear on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wallweasels

Post by wallweasels »

Morwen wrote:I thought the term for the crossdressing bit was transvestite, or is that not PC anymore?

And just to be clear, I'm still going by etymology alone.
Most people I have known wouldn't be offended by transvestite...but its a tad dated and I bet someone is offended by it somewhere :p. Crossdressing (or just "CD") is a much more common usage now.

Treader

Post by Treader »

Not sure how to really phrase this... is 'identity' the right word, when Angel seems to pick and choose based on who ze's trying to sleep with?

Cresset

Post by Cresset »

Spidrift wrote:
Cresset wrote:Dillon isn't Buddha. If a rival was gloating over convincing someone to leave me and go back to them, I would go for as many low blows as possible too.
But how low would you be prepared to go? If the person you were trying to annoy happened to be black, would you use the N-word?
I don’t know, maybe? Sure, I like to think I wouldn't, but if I'm angry and trying to piss you off, I'll probably just blurt whatever sounds like more likely to get a reaction out of you. That's why I try to avoid getting into arguments. In Dillon's position, respecting Angel would be the last thing on my mind.

Dillon is just being childish, if anything. He could easily say much more hurtful things than "you're a giiiirl, you crazy tomboy" if he wanted to.
Treader wrote:Not sure how to really phrase this... is 'identity' the right word, when Angel seems to pick and choose based on who ze's trying to sleep with?
I think it derives from "gender identity" (perception of one's gender), not identity in the philosophical self sense. Angel seems to act the same in either state.

Spacedoubt

Post by Spacedoubt »

Well that escalated quickly. Though that might apply to the last 5 comics as well =P

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Cresset wrote:Yeah, but Angel is hardly a flower herself. I don't think he would do it if she was a timid person who is likely to run away crying, like Ramona there.
I never said they were. However, unlike Dillon, Angel is honest about how they treat others and the reasons behind it.

Unlike Dillon - who, in the case of Ramona, isn't being gentle/kind with hir because he's being nice. He's using Ramona's attraction to his appearance in the hopes of buttering hir up and having hir agree with his sentiment that Angel is a mental case.

Really, Dillon is just disgusting in this update...moreso than usual.
I imagine Jerzy just informed him offscreen when they were talking about Angel back then.
Jerzy was still good friends with Angel during that time; why would he consciously give Dillon ammo to use against his friend?
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Cresset

Post by Cresset »

Dillon might be using it to provoke Angel, but I don't think of it as ammo. Angel's sexuality might be a sensitive topic (which is probably why Jerzy didn't tell Dillon about her biological gender), but talking about the name sounds harmless enough. I could see it coming up naturally while Dillon's was asking him if he should be worried about Angel. Something like

D: "That guy is your ex? Why do you call him Angel then, isn't that just a stage name?"

J: "Oh, he doesn't like being called Angie"

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Living in a French community (the story is taking place in Quebec), Angel probably isn't an uncommon name.

And I really don't see Jerzy as being the type to tell his boyfriend his best friend's most hated nickname - especially considering Dillon's perchance for drama.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Badman!

Post by Badman! »

Frankly, Dillon and Angel deserve each other. And that's why they are funny to me.

Remember the last words of angel in the last strip ?

" HAHAHA ! So stupid ! Don't worry, I still hate you !"

Hate is still hate, and hate is never "fair" or "correct". Once you're began to call people name, there's very few chance that thing stop at that. Angel has opened fire, he should have expected some backlash. Dillon obviously play on some insecurity of angel.

I think he don't care about angel sexuality, Dillon pulled a dick move (no pun intended.), but a well played one.

That, and sometimes, it's really funny to see people have a dispute.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Treader wrote:Not sure how to really phrase this... is 'identity' the right word, when Angel seems to pick and choose based on who ze's trying to sleep with?
I honestly don't get that impression. Angel mostly presents as male, but switched to female when around Jerzy when she found a dress she liked, despite male probably being a safer bet with him. Then, she went into work as female, despite not having any particular target there. (She accepted the non-serious date with Richie, but that was an accident of the moment.) Angel's gender fluidity really does seem to be a matter of chance and whim.
Cresset wrote:I don’t know, maybe? Sure, I like to think I wouldn't, but if I'm angry and trying to piss you off, I'll probably just blurt whatever sounds like more likely to get a reaction out of you.
Get punched a lot, do you?
Cresset wrote:That's why I try to avoid getting into arguments.
Probably a good idea.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Yeah, being in a heated argument isn't an excuse to go full on bigot, especially since Zii can have arguments and fights with Angel without crossing that line.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

To be honest, I get the impression that Zii just can't be bothered to hate Angel very much. Sure, she gets pissed off with the attitude, she thinks the jealousy over Jerzy is stupid, and she's quite willing to outclass the Pretty Boyz on stage to prove a point - but in this brawl, she seemed to be trying to drag Angel off Dillon while telling Dillon to stop, not throwing punches, she asked exasperated questions rather than throwing insults, and she even ended up giving Angel some good advice about the bindings.

And why should she make a huge thing of this? She goinked a guy who she understood to be unattached, and who was apparently very enthusiastic about it; Angel threw a hissy fit; they went separate ways, and she got a working band together which broke up for unrelated reasons; and the one time they've met since then, it was at the gig, where she proved anything she needed to when the Troublemakers stormed things. Quite likely, right now, she's standing back and rolling her eyes at these two idiots. Why get involved again when the hair-pulling has stopped and neither of them deserves her sympathy?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Cresset

Post by Cresset »

I get the impression Angel attacked Zii and she's just fighting back. Angel still blames her for banging her boyfriend, even if by accident.
Cortez wrote:Yeah, being in a heated argument isn't an excuse to go full on bigot, especially since Zii can have arguments and fights with Angel without crossing that line.
They're still friends in some level, which is why Zii bothered giving her health advice on the breast binding. Dillon and Angel aren't, so it wouldn't make sense for him to be trying to piss Angel off but not too much.
Spidrift wrote:Probably a good idea.
I just don’t see the point in trying to start shit with someone while being careful not to hurt their feelings, might as well go all out and bring their mother into it. If you care about keeping things respectful, you should not even say anything to begin with.