Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

25-08-15 Convince him I could pass as gay

Post by Giz »

Spidrift

Re: 25-08-15 Convince him I could pass as gay

Post by Spidrift »

Okay, my apologies for not thinking that Nathan would bother dragging out the "on the down low" line for Ray. He doesn't seem to have mentioned Oprah this time, though. And yes, Ray turns out to be as stupid and weird as most of the characters in this setting. He almost deserves to have fallen for Nathan's BS. Not that the experience seems to have worried him much. He's hurtled from naive ignorance into the closet without seeming to cross the intervening space.

Now, let's hope that Dillon sets Ruby on Ray to hit him over the head with her big hammer of common sense. Though it's possible that Dillon wouldn't want to shatter Ray's illusions too quickly, or that Ray just won't listen.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

lordoffiling

Post by lordoffiling »

Dillon pulled a Simon Tam in the lower right of the last panel. "This must be what going mad feels like."
"Rather than simply enjoying these comics, we log in to these forums to argue about them. [...] We are some strange people, and I guess we have nothing better to do." - lordoffiling

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

YES! I f*cking called it! :ymdevil:

Seriously though - Ray's a moron for falling for that schtick. Even if the script called for a sex scenes, it's usually simulated sex,not the real deal.

And how do you convincingly pass for gay, because a person can't really tell the difference between a straight and gay man based on behaviors/appearance alone - unless you're going by a stereotype - which, again, would not require having sex with the producer/director in order to do.
Spidrift wrote:Okay, my apologies for not thinking that Nathan would bother dragging out the "on the down low" line for Ray. He doesn't seem to have mentioned Oprah this time, though.
He would have had to explain where he heard the term from - so the chances are likely that he had, and Dillon interrupted him before Ray got to that part (Ray would just assume that Dillon saw that episode).
And yes, Ray turns out to be as stupid and weird as most of the characters in this setting. He almost deserves to have fallen for Nathan's BS. Not that the experience seems to have worried him much. He's hurtled from naive ignorance into the closet without seeming to cross the intervening space.
Let's be fair- having sex with Nathan doesn't make him gay/in the closet - it just makes him an idiot.
Now, let's hope that Dillon sets Ruby on Ray to hit him over the head with her big hammer of common sense. Though it's possible that Dillon wouldn't want to shatter Ray's illusions too quickly, or that Ray just won't listen.
Why should that be left up to Ruby to do? I think if Dillon considers himself Ray's friend, it should be him who gently breaks it to him about what actually happened so it doesn't happen again (not for his own benefit - but for Ray's).

Though I think the odds are better than Dillon will charge into Nathan's office and give him what for - in typical Dillon fashion, of course.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:Seriously though - Ray's a moron for falling for that schtick.

Ray is definitely a moron. The more strips characters in these comics appear in, the lower their IQ appears, and Ray didn't start out looking especially brilliant.
Fluffy wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Okay, my apologies for not thinking that Nathan would bother dragging out the "on the down low" line for Ray. He doesn't seem to have mentioned Oprah this time, though.
He would have had to explain where he heard the term from - so the chances are likely that he had, and Dillon interrupted him before Ray got to that part (Ray would just assume that Dillon saw that episode).
I can well believe that Nathan mentioned Oprah in passing, just to explain where he heard the term, but I doubt that it made much difference to Ray. Oprah's assumed market is, I believe, women and gay men; Nathan impressed Dillon (who, as an actor, may have spent his share of time watching random TV) by quoting her, but Ray (a working professional sportsman who identifies as straight) may never have seen Oprah's show at all, or be more than dimly aware of her.

Or am I underestimating the breadth of Oprah's appeal? I'm on the wrong side of the pond for this...
Fluffy wrote:Let's be fair- having sex with Nathan doesn't make him gay/in the closet - it just makes him an idiot.
On the one hand, voluntarily having gay sex makes someone at least bi, in my book, even if Ray doesn't get that; saying that he isn't just puts Ray in the closet from himself (which, yes, makes him an idiot). And on the other, Ray seems fairly comfortable with the idea; not only is he not traumatised by what's just happened, he's just said that he wouldn't mind having sex with Dillon, if Dillon identified as straight. Which suggests that he finds gay sex more than okay. "Has gay sex, has a positive view of having more of it, calls himself straight"; that's bi and in a closet, for me.
Fluffy wrote:Why should that be left up to Ruby to do? I think if Dillon considers himself Ray's friend, it should be him who gently breaks it to him about what actually happened so it doesn't happen again (not for his own benefit - but for Ray's).
On the one hand, Dillon may find it difficult to explain the truth to Ray, or worry that doing so could endanger their friendship, or that Ray might suspect him of some kind of ulterior motive. And on the other hand, Ruby did a very good job of destroying Dillon's illusions and making him accept the truth, so Dillon might think that she'd do just as good a job with Ray. When you know that someone has solved a problem once, it's tempting to ask them to help solve it again.

And for that matter, Dillon hates shattering illusions and telling harsh truths; he loves his fantasies. Ruby, on the other hand, sees herself as a bit of a tough-minded realist (despite suffering from her own illusions these days). It wouldn't be too surprising if she ended up with this job again. Except that would be repeating a joke, of course.
Fluffy wrote:Though I think the odds are better than Dillon will charge into Nathan's office and give him what for - in typical Dillon fashion, of course.
If he can get past Helena... Actually, I suspect that Dillon will spend the next few minutes talking ineffectually to Ray, until he gets his head around the scale of the problem, by which time the moment will have passed. But we'll see.
Last edited by Spidrift on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Sigh...Spidrift, I wish I could say that is accurate, but you really would not believe how many people don't think in terms of bisexuality. A recent study found that very few humans are actually purely heterosexual or homosexual. You get people like Ray or Nathan who actually try very hard to maintain the illusion of heterosexuality when the reality is they're bisexual or sometimes homosexual.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Poor Dillon! So many missed opportunities! =))

brasca

Post by brasca »

Ray has certainly sunk to the level of Andy's IQ, but I am still surprised that he is not physically affected by this first time experience. I am not the best expert, but unless Nathan used some good lubrication or he is underwhelmingly endowed Ray would be walking funny after that.
Spidrift wrote: Now, let's hope that Dillon sets Ruby on Ray to hit him over the head with her big hammer of common sense. Though it's possible that Dillon wouldn't want to shatter Ray's illusions too quickly, or that Ray just won't listen.
I think Ruby would be too distracted by yaoi until Dillon shows her a picture of Nathan. Boy on middle age man probably does nothing for her.

JTheCreator

Post by JTheCreator »

Did anyone else convince Ray with Ruby's first date whom we haven't seen in forever? I know the guy had different hair, but he also has the soft face and round jaw. Ray looks different between this strip and his first intro, but it could be me being nit-picky.
Behold, my current in development comic book series and the many links you could share for me!

Twitter Feed: https://twitter.com/DaemosChronicle

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

The stupidity, it BUUUUUUUURRRRRRRNNNNNSSSSSS !!!! #-o
Last edited by Bambikles on Tue Aug 25, 2015 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

"Sorry, dude, I can't have sex with you. You're gay, so that would make me gay." #-o

"But... I'm not gay." - Ray, from now on.

@JTheCreator: Did you confuse convince with confuse?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Manoon

Post by Manoon »

Artemisia wrote:Sigh...Spidrift, I wish I could say that is accurate, but you really would not believe how many people don't think in terms of bisexuality. A recent study found that very few humans are actually purely heterosexual or homosexual. You get people like Ray or Nathan who actually try very hard to maintain the illusion of heterosexuality when the reality is they're bisexual or sometimes homosexual.
'bisexual' and 'homosexual' in the sense of sexual identity are social constructs, not 'the reality'.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Manoon...technically, all sexualities are social constructs, so I am not entirely certain why you point to those two specifically. Humans, by and large, have some attraction to all sexes except for a small percentage who are exclusive to one sex or the other. The social construct of 'heterosexuality' is about a hundred and fifty years old, about the same age as homosexuality as a social construct. Both terms were derived by early psychologists. Prior to that, the constructs regarding sexuality were wildly different and these coincide more with the rise of marriage as an institution based upon mutual attraction and affection than upon the idea that one got married in order to procreate and pass along property.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Manoon

Post by Manoon »

Artemisia wrote:Manoon...technically, all sexualities are social constructs, so I am not entirely certain why you point to those two specifically.
Well, because you mentioned these two.
Humans, by and large, have some attraction to all sexes except for a small percentage who are exclusive to one sex or the other. The social construct of 'heterosexuality' is about a hundred and fifty years old, about the same age as homosexuality as a social construct. Both terms were derived by early psychologists. Prior to that, the constructs regarding sexuality were wildly different and these coincide more with the rise of marriage as an institution based upon mutual attraction and affection than upon the idea that one got married in order to procreate and pass along property.
Yes, I have read Foucault as well. Which is exactly why I found it a bit strange to claim that someone is 'in reality' homosexual or bisexual - or indeed any [...]sexual.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

brasca wrote:Ray has certainly sunk to the level of Andy's IQ, but I am still surprised that he is not physically affected by this first time experience. I am not the best expert, but unless Nathan used some good lubrication or he is underwhelmingly endowed Ray would be walking funny after that.
He kinda was in the last panel in the previous strip (the walking pose looked awkward and Ray's expression, though happy, also looked panicked, maybe slightly pained?).
JTheCreator wrote:Did anyone else convince Ray with Ruby's first date whom we haven't seen in forever? I know the guy had different hair, but he also has the soft face and round jaw. Ray looks different between this strip and his first intro, but it could be me being nit-picky.
Not even once. Andy is more slender, has darker skin and lighter hair/different hairstyle.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.