D&D anyone? (:

All general, non-comics discussion goes here!

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: D&D anyone? (:

Post by Don Alexander »

Superb!!! =))
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

I finished up painting some of Impact Miniatures Chibi Ponies today. I'm planning on using them in a Ponyfinder game in the near future. :D

Teh pics on my Facebook wall.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Guys, Gusy (and girls), there's a new Gamers Movie out!!!

I have not seen it yet, just discovered it, so can't say anything about it.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Currently, my pals and I are running through the classic 'Ravenloft' campaign, but using the Pathfinder game rules. Because he's never had a good ending, I was given the go ahead to run my archer 'Ghost' and a mage 'Claire'. In both, I'm trying out new classes Pathfinder just made available... instead of a rogue, Ghost is a slayer - which is a mixture of rogue and ranger. Claire is an Arcanist, which is mid-way between a Sorcerer and Wizard.

In tonight's session, we're fighting elven werewolves in the woods. As we came across one group, Claire has an opportunity to cast a Web spell on the cluster of them. One of the four we encounter was just at the edge of the spell, so when he made his reflex save to prevent himself from being firmly stuck in the web Zeus described his action as "He quickly made a jump to the left."

Without pausing, I asked, "Did he then make a step to the right?" Zeus just laughed, and at our next little game break he had to pull up and listen to 'The Time Warp' just to get it out of his head.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

:)) Gotta love good comedic timing.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

So, in our last session we had a fine example of tag team chicanery. The vampire Favored Soul of Loviatar and drow Rogue/Red Mantis Assassin teamed up to trick a group of monsters making a shakedown attempt.

Neither are especially focused on social skills, though they both have fair values in Bluff (a 15 and 10, respectively).

So, a group of bugbear, ogres, and an ettin, all members of the army the PCs are allied with, decided to try to shake them down. The monsters were in way over their heads, as the PCs are 13th level. I expected them to just destroy the fools and move on. Little did I know...

The biggest (and dumbest) ogre, demands a toll of 50 gold apiece from the PCs and their assorted cohorts/minions/hangers-on. The vampire, pretending to be confused, successfully bluffed the ogre into thinking they (the PCs) didn't know what gold was. The ogre pulled out a handful (17 gold) of coins, and showed them. The drow (with his Sleight of Hand skill of 15, proceeds to try to steal the gold out of the ogre's hand while he's talking to the vampire.) He rolls a 2, but even with the +10 bonus for the spotting obvious theft, fails to spot the drow take the money. He is confused as to where his money went.

The drow then proceeds to attempt to pay the toll, with the ogre's own money, and bluff him into thinking they gave him more than what he demanded. One decent bluff roll by the drow, and abysmal sense motive check by the ogre convinces him that since 7 is obviously more than 5, 17 gold is more than 50.

The PCs go on their way, but I have a feeling the band might figure it out eventually and confront the PCs at a later date.
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Our villains have been sent by a black dragon to kill a brass dragon. In the brass dragon's lair, they encountered some Carnivorous Crystals. During the fight, the godling used his divine weapon, which does sonic damage to attack one of the oozes. He gets three attacks, which resulted in a hit, and two critical hits. The first hit followed by the critical downs one, and crit result included transposition, which caused him and the now dead crystal to switch places on the battlefield.

This left him in position to reach the final crystal, which was also critted. This crit resulted in petrified, which after a failed Fortitude save, turned the crystal to stone. Image

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

After a year of being out of role-playing gaming (other than Lord of the Rings Online), I'm rejoining my old group in a D&D game—Forgotten Realms setting, version 3.5 rules. The game started a few months ago but I wasn't able to go until this coming Saturday because of scheduling conflicts and not being able to think of a character interesting enough to play.

The other four players have the four basic monster food groups (fighter, wizard, cleric, rogue) more or less covered. Because the campaign seems to be interacting with a lot of fey creatures in outdoor settings, I opted to go with a with a wild elf druid from the jungles of Chult. Her high Wisdom score and class abilities should give her an advantage in dealing with the fey folk. I chose Chult because it seemed to be the closest place to Tethyr and the Wealdath Forest (where the campaign started) that wild elves could be found. I learned later that there are wild elves in the Wealdath Forest, but by that time I had already worked out the character's backstory and her motivation for going to the Wealdath Forest, so I wasn't going to rewrite that. I chose the wild elf subrace for her because it was different.

The party is currently 5th level, so that's where she'll start, although at the very beginning of 5th, of course. Her name is Laurwaina Lúthalhûg, her nickname is Gwaeren. I'll leave it to students of Tolkein's elvish language (Sindarin, specifically) to figure out the meanings of those names. :P Her animal companion is a constrictor snake named Algwîn ("not-vine").
I think outside the tesseract.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

So, our villains were trying to get out of their contract, because their master was trying to eliminate them.

They were trying to impress a Pit Fiend in order to get out of a contract they had signed with a guy who's now trying to kill them. Normally, they're the most arrogant people on the planet.

A flunky of the pit fiend specifically advised them to brag about their accomplishments to win favor.

What do you suppose they did?

Sniveled, and hedged.

The one time their arrogance would be an unmitigated asset, they whine and snivel. /:)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Well, it finally happened. Me and my group of pals are nearing the end of the Ravenloft campaign, we're exploring through Castle Ravenloft proper. And last night, the first character was killed off... and of course it was mine. More specifically, it was my character Ghost.

I'm starting to develop a syndrome about this. I've actually noticed that over almost the last decade of gaming, nearly every one of my male characters has had a less than pleasant end. They've been tricked and cajoled out of their good endings, struggled with the only prize being "I survived", trapped by their honor into a role that made them miserable for the remainder of their lives... or just killed, like Ghost was. I'm not happy.

On a side note, if you ever find yourself about to be involved in the Ravenloft campaign, I will give you some spoiler-free warning. Consider strongly before you take a character that is highly reliant on line of sight for their effectiveness (like a mage, or an archer like Ghost was). In about half the encounters, environmental conditions don't allow you to see beyond ten feet. It's really frustrating.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

So, our villains foiled my evil plan... by not doing something I (and the Big Bad) completely expected them to do.

They've been trying to find the phylactery of the lich who's trying to kill them. For the previous two sessions, they had their minions looking for information, to see if they could dig up anything. They had thus far been unsuccessful, but it was mostly through bad luck (i.e. terrible rolls). I figured they would try again this last session, so their former master had planned a trap. He's been scrying them pretty much even since they entered his service, and only recently had they put some defenses into place. They would have found information, but it would have been planted and would have led them to a false phylactery trap.

Instead of using their minions to look for information again, though, they used them to make some money and shore up the defenses of their home base. :|

Then when they got a message from an associate about a paladin who has been a thorn in their side for a good chunk of the campaign, they harrowed off after that lead. While there, they decided to use the library and some spells that they learned last level to find information on the (true) location of the phylactery.
Last edited by GothPoet on Wed May 27, 2015 12:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Update on Castle Ravenloft - my pal Zeus had a frank out of character discussion with us, and suggested that with Ghost's death that we consider "folding" the group. He admitted that part of it was my apparent displeasure at the role I'd been holding up until that point (that would only get worse now that I had nobody to "grind" in combat with his loss), but another large part of it was the position we now found ourselves in.

We were just about to head into the crypts beneath Ravenloft, and it wasn't a place in the adventure where it made even a little bit of sense for us to randomly encounter a new character. And quite frankly, he told us after reviewing the sections we were about to come across... we were likely to have a total party kill the first time we encountered a trap without our roguish-type in Ghost. While it was a bit meta-gaming, we're good enough friends that we knew such an event would not be fun for us as a group. So, we're shelving the campaign until we perhaps take it up once more with a different party and explore some of the other storylines he didn't present this time around.

Plus, the loss of Ghost was probably the second worse one would could have experienced. While the Paladin, his sweetheart, was the leader of the group it was Ghost who was the calm rational thinker of the party. Of all the characters, he was the one who hadn't ruffled anyone's feathers and was best endeared by all as he often played peacekeeper. It left everyone rather bummed out.

SO! While we had planned this entire weekend to dedicate to Castle Ravenloft, we're now instead committing to trying out an idea we've talked about for some time. We most often use the Pathfinder system, but lately we've felt more and more confined by the game system. We're going to try out a fantasy game using the Mutants & Masterminds system, doing our best to buck many of the conventions that have been ingrained into our psyche by the Dungeons & Dragons template.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Triumph!

Man, I finally have a little bit to report here! :-bd

So, my last really long post reported on reactivating my group here in my university town.

Soooo... The guy's girlfriend turned out to be really fantastic at makeup and clothes, when walking around sans said makeup and in baggy clothes, she looked rather plain, actually, and not distracting at all. I did not even recognize her. And she turned out to be a quiet one who almost never says anything and basically played herself. >_> We also got a new player in the second session who works at my observatory, a guy I like a lot but who was quickly in disfavor of the girl playing the hippie cleric who of course loudly voiced her opinion later. Third session finally got the people into the adventure and shortly afterward, I was "hired away" to Munich, and despite me being in town most weekends, we never played again. Especially because said girlfriend didn't like playing, and then somehow convinced her boyfriend to not have time for us anymore!!! Can't he leave her alone for one evening every few weeks or even months??? :-o Damn these women... :-L Without him, this leaves just two players who can't stand each other! :((

Additionally, between sessions 2 and 3 of above adventure, we finally, after something like a year, convened another group where I am just a player and the GM has written an entire campaign by himself. We played a single awesome session with a totally open ending and since then... naught. :( Ok, as mentioned, I went to Munich, and another of the players moved with his GF to Cologne, but the main problem is that our GM completely disappeared off the map. We finally reestablished a bit more contact some months ago and it seems he has gotten himself a GF as well and "he only does role-playing when he is unhappy"!!! And I guess he isn't right now... There was hope we'd get back to playing anyway but so far, nothing.

Anyway, then there was this from December 2012:
Don Alexander wrote:I hope to finally play again next week, even if it is only another two-character adventure with my most trustworthy compatriot (the guy who has been a father for a few weeks now...)
Followed by this from February 2014:
Don Alexander wrote:Hey!
Dirty n Evil wrote:Now, as I've mentioned I mostly play with the tiniest of RPing groups - me, my pal Zeus, and my pal Paul.
Since summer 2012, my role-playing group has consisted of me and my pal Lars. No one else. :(
Dirty n Evil wrote:And we play nearly every weekend.
And we play just a few times a year because he lives half the country away. :(( So be happy. :P
So, yeah. This adventure, which was started in April 2012 (so before the stuff mentioned above) turned out to be one loooong drag. Ok, I - remember me mentioning I have this detailed chronicle and usually also play "the journey from A to B? - came up with two small adventures before we even got to the official one (after 7.5 sessions...), but then the official adventure was nothing if not long and tedious. The whole thing was made worse by usually having months between the sessions, so always a lot of recouping was needed, not to mention my friend (and, admittedly, I too) can never really get into a playing mood after meeting up again, so if my visits were short, we usually had an evening, where we did not play at all, followed by a crap session where we maybe seriously played for an hour or two - and then I was gone again. :( (He even told me that after such visits, he really got into the mood for playing... 8-| )

Finall,y after three years, we finished the adventure this Easter! :-bd It took a total of 19 sessions, though... :-L But luckily for us, I've been a veritable homeboy this year. After a single bad session after New Year's, I visited home again in March, where we had another rather bad session, but then we were able to play four times in my two-week Easter vacation and finally "got into it", allowing us to wrap it up. #:-s
Don Alexander wrote:I come from the opposite school of thought. All my groups have always started with beginner-level characters, who have then worked their way up... In one group, since 1994, two of the characters have reached "God" level (not literally, of course, but they are pushing the boundaries of what normal humans are capable of...)
Which brings me to THESE guys!! I have two "groups" in my home town, the "big group" (established 1994, basically the originals) and the "little group" (established 1999). The former adventure was in the little group, where my friend plays a mage and I play a... hm, kind of Mongol hunter/ranger/warrior. Roles are reversed in the big group, I play the mage (and what a mighty mage he is!), and my friend plays a mercenary who is by now also a cleric of the god of death, Boron. And it seems we just feel more at home playing these two...

The chronicle of my big group is quite strongly planned out, and while there are multiple adventures that still need to be played, I am still hoping to play these with additionally my best friend and his wife as players. But they have had less and less time these last years... :( And there's simply no "room" for an adventure consisting of just me and Lars. So we diced to make a radical jump - about TEN years into the future!!! My big group right now resides in the year 18 (after the last emperor ascended). Starting in the year 23 or so, the greatest nigromancer of all time, Borbarad, returns from his prison in limbo and a gigantic world war develops which ends in a great battle toward the end of the year 28. The little group are to be the main actors of this campaign, whereas I'm planning to remove the big group to another continent - they only return for the final battle. The little group shall perish at the end of said battle :ymdevil: whereas for the big group, the sky's the limit...

In the late '90s, we already played a huge campaign where the heroes sail around the world with a "Viking" captain. Several big plot threads are left open at the end of this campaign, and a newer one, named "In the Shadow of Simyala" deals with these. Simyala is one of the six legendary elemental cities of the High Elves (comparable to the Eldar of the Silmarillion, whereas "modern" elves in DSA are more like Legolas & Co.), associated with the element Earth ("Humus" in Germany, which is literally dirt - DSA separates between fertile Earth and "Erz" - stone and ore), and it lies hidden in a huge forest at the center of the continent, right in the middle of the most powerful empire and not too far from the capital city. Yet still mysteriously hidden. This campaign will lead the heroes all the way into Simyala where they will interfere in a plan of the Nameless God, the true evil of the world.

Just weeks after my April vacation, I returned to my hometown to attend a wedding, and here had the chance to also visit Lars twice. And we began the campaign with the first adventure "Nameless Dawn", and lo, we actually managed to get going right on the first evening. :P (It still could have been better...) And then, last weekend, over Pentecost, I returned to my parents yet again, and we managed to play three evenings in a row!!! AND we wrapped up the first adventure in just five nights in total, 20 hours playing time! That is SO refreshing!!

To be honest, I did not like the adventure that much. Plotwise, it is quite simple and linear, fells a bit railroady without being really epic. Oh, sure, we had loads of fun, but I had expected more (my friend liked it a lot).

Initially, the heroes are traveling in this huge forest (a part that still belongs to civilization). They come to the aid of a cleric who is being attacked by a horde of rats - creatures of the Nameless! She is on her way back to her home castle, being the sister of the former baron who perished after that huge battle I mentioned above (the campaign starts a year after it). She has had visions that her nephew is in great danger by a traitor. Said nephew has just returned after two years of squiring, and is now knighted, and ready to take over as the new baron following a great hunt where, it is expected, a great white stag will show up again.

The heroes arrive at the castle and begin some detective work. One funny aspect is that this campaign is meant for low-to-medium level characters, the first adventure is level 4-7 (the two others are 5-10) - and as pointed out above, these two characters are "god level" - level 21! Normally, we should have been great guests of honor, but since we had pissed on the plans of the Nameless so often... We went somewhat anonymously. In the course of the evening (the cleric is later killed by poison) we figure out that the line of Falconwind is linked to the fairies (who aren't Tinkerbell in DSA, but a lot closer to the powerful beings from White Wolf's Changeling: The Dreaming), and that this pact is essential in preventing a dark future... One of the people meet is a gruff cleric of the winter god, Firun - and this guy is actually the traitor, a powerful cleric of the Nameless! But I play him so well we do not "smell a rat"!

The following day will be a very long one for us. After having been up in the night because of the murder of cleric sister, we have to get up early again for the great hunt! The great white stag is actually a powerful fairy creature (a "Holde", a word that's hard to translate, perhaps "Fair One" - "holde Dame" means "fair lady" but there it is used as an adjective) who should "abduct" the new baron into her kingdom, where he will totally sex her up and knock her up! ;)) This child will then later be implanted by magic into whoever the baron takes as wife, and will again be a half-fairy to continue the pact. Problem is, the young baron-to-be has absolutely no idea what is going on since his dad died before being able to convey the family secret...

To make things worse, the Nameless cleric unveils himself, and nearly kills the Holde!! He gets away, we follow her dying body, meet an "Ent" who sacrifices his life to keep her alive a while longer, and then must travel to the "Fairy Grottoes". This is a cave system which was once created by a powerful Eldar who was one of the Keepers of the Secret Keys to access hidden Simyala. A millennium ago, a Lamifaar, a fairy who has been corrupted by the Nameless (reminded me a lot of the black fairies in Magic's Lorwyn/Shadowmoor block, especially Faerie Macabre), found a way into these caves, but was trapped by the Holde before she could get out with the secrets. Now, the Holde is dying, and the Lamifaar is in danger of being released from her cage!

These grottoes are basically a dungeon, though they are not filled with your typical, orcs, skeletons and dragons. The caves are filled with a magical melody (one of the two keys!) created by a massive organ, and the Nameless, in form of a bunch of wicked 'shrooms, is attacking and corrupting this organ. Every time it is filled by spore cloud, cacophony ensues and the creatures in the cave turn against the heroes (and the heroes may turn upon each other as well). The main goal is to find four Cornucopias, attach them to a magical fountain, and thereby open a gate into the kingdom of the Holde which will give her enough power to survive her wound. This done, we restore her to power, and she sends us to the oak where the Lamifaar is imprisoned. There we defeat the Nameless cleric and his minions and manage to free the young baron who was abducted and indoctrinated into Nameless ways (luckily, he can be saved by the magical melody without PTSD). Oh, and we also blow away that damned fairy. Finally, we deliver him to the Holde who is able to seal the pact again. (Dude gets laid, we get nothing...)

Time runs differently in the fairy kingdoms, and we return a month after the beginning of tale, everyone thought us dead. Back at the castle, we meet up with an Elven countess (who mentored the young baron and who has been seeking Simyala for decades). We return with her to her castle where the baron reveals he has received a mysterious crystal - the second key!

And that's the end of it. The next part is a much more research/travel oriented tale and takes place a whole 3/4 year later. We did not get around to launching it.

But dayum! A whole adventure played in a single month! Made me so happy! Though I now have an incredible amount of report to write... :-s

One thing that stuck out was that I need to use different dice for my mage! I fumbled stuff so fucking often!!! In some of the battles, which should have been easy-peasy for our powerful characters, I received multiple crits... ~X( I can hardly claim "I nearly died" but it was quite embarrassing...
ImageImage