28-04-15 Caught his eye

Post by Giz »

Krendall

Re: 28-04-15 Caught his eye

Post by Krendall »

Is that Luna in panel 2?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

...and by back, I mean bunk!!! :D
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So we get the return of Richie, and he gets his heterosexuality defined. I'm sure that Dillon would be disappointed, even if New Improved Dillon tried to hide the fact.

Meanwhile, it seems that we're getting a somewhat extended thread built around Angel. Assuming that this is going somewhere, my best guess is that Ruby is about to walk into the shop to get some stuff for Minew (or even to inquire about work, but most likely just for pet supplies). Her reaction to female/Angel will be moderately interesting; all the stuff about her prudishness notwithstanding, she really doesn't seem to bother being judgemental about other people's sexual lifestyle choices (Amber aside, obviously), though she might be sheltered enough to think this must be Angel's sister or something. And she and Angel have generally been polite to each other up until now, though if she was paying attention at the gig, she may not be too impressed with Angel's behaviour then, especially given that she now treats Dillon as a friend. (Long-term, seeing herself as friends with Zii as well as Dillon, she may have difficulty being very friendly with Angel, though she might feel that she should play peacemaker or something.) Still, looking after Minew's health would be her first concern...

(Oops - is she about to run back to Dillon saying "You must have been wrong about Jerzy and Angel - Angel's a girl - you can make up with Jerzy!"?)

Also, shouldn't Mr Harvey and Daisy have tags?
Krendall wrote:Is that Luna in panel 2?
<One Google Image Search later> Possibly, but it's also possible that there are only so many ways of drawing a cartoon black cat.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Presuming Luna is the name of Sailor Moon's cat, then yes it is (thanks to the blow up for the thumbnail).

I'm not going to bother with the rest of my thoughts.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Yeah, it is Luna, but I don't understand why this reference should appear in that particular strip. Angel definitely has an effect on male people outside of Jerzy. Is this a way to show that it's much more hard to resist Angel than we assume ? :-\

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I think it's (a) just a heavy-handed way of saying that Angel makes a good-looking woman in-setting, to the confusion of any straight man who's previously seen her presenting as a man, as a future plot point as necessary, and probably (b) a way of moving Richie out of the shop just before Ruby walks in the front door.

If I'm right about this, the day is threatening to turn into Ruby's personal Joycean Odyssey.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

worldshaking00

Post by worldshaking00 »

Yay, Luna!
"Be excellent to each other." - Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure
"Like my old grand daddy used to say, 'The less a man makes declarative statements, the less apt he is to look foolish in retrospect.'" - Chester Rush, Four Rooms
Chivalry isn't dead, it just followed wherever being lady-like went.

Qwertz

Post by Qwertz »

More than what the rest of the world is thinking right now, I wonder what Angel is thinking. If I were her (/him. Angel), I may be a tad sad by the differences in reception of his female versus male.. incarnations (for lack of a better word). In the "I'm still exactly the same person, you know..." sense
Mordhaus wrote:The plot, like soup to which the starch of corn hath been added, doth thicken.
EvilSnack wrote:I think that the characters in this comic are as slim as they are because of the exercise they get from jumping to so many conclusions.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Spidrift wrote:Meanwhile, it seems that we're getting a somewhat extended thread built around Angel. Assuming that this is going somewhere, my best guess is that Ruby is about to walk into the shop to get some stuff for Minew (or even to inquire about work, but most likely just for pet supplies). Her reaction to female/Angel will be moderately interesting; all the stuff about her prudishness notwithstanding, she really doesn't seem to bother being judgemental about other people's sexual lifestyle choices (Amber aside, obviously), though she might be sheltered enough to think this must be Angel's sister or something. And she and Angel have generally been polite to each other up until now, though if she was paying attention at the gig, she may not be too impressed with Angel's behaviour then, especially given that she now treats Dillon as a friend. (Long-term, seeing herself as friends with Zii as well as Dillon, she may have difficulty being very friendly with Angel, though she might feel that she should play peacemaker or something.) Still, looking after Minew's health would be her first concern...
Yes, it should be interesting to see how people react to Angel's new look; it's been proven to be attractive to three different men so far, and could be used for a deep (if light-hearted) examination of how Angel sees hirself in terms of gender (given that, you know, it's been a bit up-in-the-air until now).

And Ruby's arrival on the scene could trigger any number of outcomes, though I for one hope no one says anything too offensive. :-T
(Oops - is she about to run back to Dillon saying "You must have been wrong about Jerzy and Angel - Angel's a girl - you can make up with Jerzy!"?)
I sure hope not; the issue is already complicated as it is.
Isabelle had to wait several comics before she got a tag, remember? I don't think it's that simple.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Qwertz wrote:More than what the rest of the world is thinking right now, I wonder what Angel is thinking. If I were her (/him. Angel), I may be a tad sad by the differences in reception of his female versus male.. incarnations (for lack of a better word). In the "I'm still exactly the same person, you know..." sense
She was very pleased to have found that dress, though, even though she was also worried that it might not appeal to Jerzy. I suspect that when she's presenting as female, she tends to adopt more of a "girly" persona, concerned with stuff like dresses and makeup - and she's pleased to receive compliments on that - whereas male-Angel has more of a "masculine" disregard for physical appearance.

Plus, well, the people complimenting her in this strip are heterosexual males, and it's only logical for them to notice someone presenting as attractive-female more. Male-Angel might hope more for compliments from gay men and straight women. Angel generally might hope for respect in both personas, but she/he clearly understands very well that people of different sexes and orientations respond to different stimuli.

And note also that Angel can be quite polite and understanding in matters not involving Jerzy. Mr Harvey was confused and embarrassed by the situation, but Angel treated him quite charmingly. The point of the fluid sexuality isn't to mess with people's heads aggressively.
LegendaryKroc wrote:And Ruby's arrival on the scene could trigger any number of outcomes, though I for one hope no one says anything too offensive.
Ruby actually tries quite hard to be polite, and didn't say anything rude or even snarky about Dillon's cross-dressing. She seems to be very much a live-and-let-live type at heart. And if she discovers Angel like this, she may just think "Oh, like Dillon really" (with a possible added "...those two have more in common than they want to admit; that must be why they don't get on").
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Isabelle had to wait several comics before she got a tag, remember? I don't think it's that simple.
Actually, it's usually very simple; characters get tagged when they are named within the strip, with the same tag added to their previous, unnamed appearances, if any, when someone at Pixietrix gets around to it. Isabelle got her tag when she mentioned what her name was, same as many others. Hence, there are a number of one-strip-only tagged characters:

http://www.stickydillybuns.com/keywords
http://www.ma3comic.com/keywords

So Mr Harvey and Daisy qualify just fine. I hope that the comic isn't being ageist, and given that cats and crickets get tags, I certainly hope that it isn't being dogist.

(I stand corrected on the cat, by the way. Somebody elsewhere pointed out that the zoomed-in link thumbnail on other pages shows a visible crescent moon on her forehead.)

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

Spidrift wrote:So we get the return of Richie, and he gets his heterosexuality defined. I'm sure that Dillon would be disappointed, even if New Improved Dillon tried to hide the fact.
Or bisexuality.

pbfhdude

Post by pbfhdude »

Ummm, I'm a little confused, I got the feeling here that Angel IS actually female and her other look was the gender-bend.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote:So we get the return of Richie, and he gets his heterosexuality defined. I'm sure that Dillon would be disappointed, even if New Improved Dillon tried to hide the fact.

Meanwhile, it seems that we're getting a somewhat extended thread built around Angel. Assuming that this is going somewhere, my best guess is that Ruby is about to walk into the shop to get some stuff for Minew (or even to inquire about work, but most likely just for pet supplies). Her reaction to female/Angel will be moderately interesting; all the stuff about her prudishness notwithstanding, she really doesn't seem to bother being judgemental about other people's sexual lifestyle choices (Amber aside, obviously), though she might be sheltered enough to think this must be Angel's sister or something. And she and Angel have generally been polite to each other up until now, though if she was paying attention at the gig, she may not be too impressed with Angel's behaviour then, especially given that she now treats Dillon as a friend. (Long-term, seeing herself as friends with Zii as well as Dillon, she may have difficulty being very friendly with Angel, though she might feel that she should play peacemaker or something.) Still, looking after Minew's health would be her first concern...
That would also explain why she brought Minew with her in the first place. Job scouting, errands, and yaoi browsing. Ruby is a multitasker.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Yep that is it, Angle is physically female. Also looking cute in that dress.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK