09-09-14 You were played for a fool

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Error of Logic

Re: 09-09-14 You were played for a fool

Post by Error of Logic »

Yes, Dillon, you are.

And I'd have trouble touching you at this time, too. You'll want to hug all dramatically and cry on whoever tries to comfort you, I'm sure...

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

TheEighth wrote:Can someone explain to me exactly what Dillon is upset about?

The fact that he was lied to?
The fact that he believed it?

He doesn't really seem to have any issue with Nathan boning him so.....

What's the problem?
Because he it's a drama queen?

Maechris

Post by Maechris »

It appears to me that Dillon has lowered his mental functions to the levels of thinking about the possibility that something involving Oprah is a lie, or alternatively that his charms are not good enough to sway truly straight men into the realms of the queer.

No offense meant to anyone. He is a drama queen.
More often than not people fail to see the entirety of the issue, and focus on a single facet of it. Ask yourself what makes you right before you set fire on other people for being wrong. // "Chemical reactions between the kawaii and uguu hormones.Within the Desu Gland. This is near to the upper Moe muscle."

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

DrAngryEd wrote:I'm feeling it for Dillon, but I think he's just being a baby right now. I know there are quite sensitive people, but those tears are flooding the room worst than last night, and Jerzy's conflict is way more serious than this Oprah nonsense.
Spidrift wrote:Ah, but what happened last night was just the latest in Dillon's long list of failed relationships. He didn't enjoy it, but it's just Dillon's melodramatic life being what it is. This is Dillon's whole self-image being called into question; his life being exposed as cardboard.

That's what we the readers know, but I don't think he has realized it yet. Up to this point he's just upset because his boyfriend "cheated" on him and a closeted bi man fooled him with a ridiculous argument regarding sexuality.
And also: let's add to the list that he totally whored his ass out on a threesome with Nathan and Amber in exchange for roles and that condo he's currently living in, even if it was carefully orchestrated by his BFF.
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

TheEighth wrote:Can someone explain to me exactly what Dillon is upset about?

The fact that he was lied to?
The fact that he believed it?
Both, my general!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

DrAngryEd wrote:That's what we the readers know, but I don't think he has realized it yet. Up to this point he's just upset because his boyfriend "cheated" on him and a closeted bi man fooled him with a ridiculous argument regarding sexuality.
The fact that he (probably) doesn't understand why it's hurting him so much doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't the reason. Though it could just be because Ruby is actually shouting at him. (Which is because she gets really angry at stupidity. Because she's a nerd.)
DrAngryEd wrote:And also: let's add to the list that he totally whored his ass out on a threesome with Nathan and Amber in exchange for roles and that condo he's currently living in, even if it was carefully orchestrated by his BFF.
Uh, yes - but this is relevant here because?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

You don't have to be a nerd to understand that the "being on the down low" bullshit is, erm, bullshit. Also, you don't have to be a nerd to NOT believe Nathan when he used this bullshit and attributed it to Oprah.

You do, however, have to be a complete and utter idiot to believe that straight men have gay sex all the time and "are on the down low", despite being gay yourself, and you do have to have an IQ lower than your shoe size to believe Oprah would say it. I'm also quite surprised. The LGBTQ people I know (and I know quite a few) are actually well-versed in the specifics and nuances of their sexuality and would never fall for such bullshit. Maybe because they spent quite a bit of time coming to terms with themselves, coping with stereotypes and discrimination, and arming themselves with arguments and logic to counter the "logic" of the homophobes. How can Dillon be so clueless about his own sexuality?

I think he actually needs a few more reality checks like that. No comforting, no nothing. Just a few rude awakenings.
FIRRIB

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Careful now. Those words get you labeled as a hater

Jk

Kinda

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

Spidrift wrote:
DrAngryEd wrote:And also: let's add to the list that he totally whored his ass out on a threesome with Nathan and Amber in exchange for roles and that condo he's currently living in, even if it was carefully orchestrated by his BFF.
Because if Dillon has to rethink a lot of his past behavior, that's a big one he has to chew at some point.
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

sukebe senpai wrote:You don't have to be a nerd to understand that the "being on the down low" bullshit is, erm, bullshit. Also, you don't have to be a nerd to NOT believe Nathan when he used this bullshit and attributed it to Oprah.
No, of course you don't. That isn't what I was saying. My point was that, while Dillon quite often irritates Ruby, this is one of the few times she's got angry enough to shout at him and rip his delusions to shreds. And the reason for that is that she's a nerd (first-order definition: someone who privileges the intellectual over the emotional, the social, and the physical), and hence she really, really despises stupidity.
DrAngryEd wrote:
Spidrift wrote:
Because if Dillon has to rethink a lot of his past behavior, that's a big one he has to chew at some point.
Actually, Dillon clearly realised at the time that this was especially dubious, and felt sordid accordingly. I don't think that he's got any reassessing to do there; he's already come to terms with his dip into prostitution. And I doubt that it'll ever get mentioned to Ruby; I think she'd be too disgusted, to the point of wanting to get out of the flat in question.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

sukebe senpai wrote:The LGBTQ people I know (and I know quite a few) are actually well-versed in the specifics and nuances of their sexuality and would never fall for such bullshit. Maybe because they spent quite a bit of time coming to terms with themselves, coping with stereotypes and discrimination, and arming themselves with arguments and logic to counter the "logic" of the homophobes. How can Dillon be so clueless about his own sexuality?
I think Dillon doesn't give two hoots about the whole LGBT(Qwhatever) thing. He's supermegaultra gay he knows it, but beyond that, he does not care much about his identity.

I guess this may be a symptom of the creators all being (afaik9 straight? Not to mention this (+Ma3) is a sexy comedy, and matters of queer identity and conflict with "heteronormative society" are not funny. So, as a result, almost everyone in the comic is more or less bi, and there is almost no *phobia to speak of.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

sukebe senpai wrote:You don't have to be a nerd to understand that the "being on the down low" bullshit is, erm, bullshit. Also, you don't have to be a nerd to NOT believe Nathan when he used this bullshit and attributed it to Oprah.

You do, however, have to be a complete and utter idiot to believe that straight men have gay sex all the time and "are on the down low", despite being gay yourself, and you do have to have an IQ lower than your shoe size to believe Oprah would say it. I'm also quite surprised. The LGBTQ people I know (and I know quite a few) are actually well-versed in the specifics and nuances of their sexuality and would never fall for such bullshit. Maybe because they spent quite a bit of time coming to terms with themselves, coping with stereotypes and discrimination, and arming themselves with arguments and logic to counter the "logic" of the homophobes. How can Dillon be so clueless about his own sexuality?

I think he actually needs a few more reality checks like that. No comforting, no nothing. Just a few rude awakenings.
Sukebe,

On the other hand, I've run into more than a few who would believe such utter rot. Not all of us are exactly well integrated into the Community, and I've certainly said some pretty stupid stuff when it comes to being lesbian that has had to be corrected by my fellow lesbians. Not a lot, but one or two things here and there.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Then, there's something else about Dilly-Poo... The "it's only gay if our balls touch" thing he had told Gary many, many strips ago in Ma3. Regarding that one, I'm torn between thinking Dillon's a delusional idiot with an unhealthy fixation on a person that doesn't want to get to know him in the biblical sense, or if he's just knowingly spewing stuff that no one in their right mind would take seriously in order to pursue his own goals (i.e. he's a very manipulative person).

@Artemisia: Indeed, there are idiots who would fall for stuff like that. Heck, they even believe in chemtrails, the Epsilon Team and the like.
FIRRIB

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

sukebe senpai wrote:Then, there's something else about Dilly-Poo... The "it's only gay if our balls touch" thing he had told Gary many, many strips ago in Ma3.
That sort of line is such a joke - the kind of thing that confused mildly homophobic straight men come up with, possibly just in teen movies - that I didn't take it seriously. In fact, I was prepared to assume that Dillon was joking there - though these days, with Dillon being written as quite so stupid, one has to wonder...
---------
Spidrift

sukebe senpai

Post by sukebe senpai »

Agreed. He's stopped making sense many moons ago. Well, whatever sense he made.
FIRRIB