12-08-14 I like someone else

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 12-08-14 I like someone else

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:So, anyone wanna bet the person Dillon is crushing on is Ray himself?
Umm, duh?
I can't help but notice how you left out the rest of my post which makes it sufficiently clear I was being sarcastic... /:)

I really do not like to be quoted out of context like that. :-w
crimzontearz wrote:lovely, disliking a character is whining now.
No, disliking a character is, in general, not whining.

However, what you are doing IS whining to the highest degree.

Also, you aren't disliking Dillon. Spidrifit is disliking Dillon, Hell, I'll even admit myself to not liking his character. What you are doing is senseless hating. Your permanent negativity is polluting these boards, and quite obviously I am not the only one who sees it that way.
Spidrift wrote:Like I said, Foes list. Which, ironically, once upon a time would have been called a killfile.)
Then they inversed the killfile, and that's how the Republic of Desire started... And also the Walled City. I think Gibson, copied himself there from book to book.

Um, sorry, got distracted... :ymblushing:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

:-\ :-\ :-\
I'm not sure what the reference is so could someone please explain.

Quote removed. The DAMNed
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Optimus Kate wrote:For the record, in case I haven't said it before, I totally agree with you guys on that. It is hypocritical. To say otherwise would be absolutely foolish. But Dillon has not "woken up" yet on regards to his own faults, so I'm not ready to dismiss him completely over his hypocrisy and delusions. I know he still needs to grow up a lot.

I always love a good flawed character. I like Zii a whole lot too, and I am well aware that I was in the forum minority with that one for a while. Matt too.
I really don't dislike Dillon for being flawed. I dislike him for being ... Dillon. I can like those other characters, to a greater or lesser extent, with no trouble. Dillon just gets on my nerves, for reasons orthogonal to him being a jerk. Though there is something about hypocrisy that does get to some people especially badly, somewhat including me.

The other question is whether Dillon is capable of reforming - or rather, whether him reforming, as looks inevitable, can be made to look plausible. He's really been very unwilling to do so before now. Ruby may be supposed to be some sort of catalyst, but so far, she's mostly failed to call him on his crap when she's had the chance.
Don Alexander wrote:I really do not like to be quoted out of context like that.
Sorry, something about your sarcasm jams my detectors. (If it's conveyed by smilies, note that I tend to disregard those on principle.) I don't seem able to track it.
Spidrift wrote:Like I said, Foes list. Which, ironically, once upon a time would have been called a killfile.)
Then they inversed the killfile, and that's how the Republic of Desire started... And also the Walled City. I think Gibson, copied himself there from book to book.
I don't have the faintest idea what you're on about either (would that be William Gibson?), so I'll just say that some of us can remember the simple satisfaction of simply typing *plonk*.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Don Alexander wrote:
Spidrift wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:So, anyone wanna bet the person Dillon is crushing on is Ray himself?
Umm, duh?
I can't help but notice how you left out the rest of my post which makes it sufficiently clear I was being sarcastic... /:)

I really do not like to be quoted out of context like that. :-w
crimzontearz wrote:lovely, disliking a character is whining now.
No, disliking a character is, in general, not whining.

However, what you are doing IS whining to the highest degree.

Also, you aren't disliking Dillon. Spidrifit is disliking Dillon, Hell, I'll even admit myself to not liking his character. What you are doing is senseless hating. Your permanent negativity is polluting these boards, and quite obviously I am not the only one who sees it that way.

Um, sorry, got distracted... :ymblushing:
once the Karma Houdini-ing stops along side the slapstick-level ability to bypass any and all realization of his building sized flaws and hypocrisy by Dillon and there is a hint of redemption I will GLADLY comment positively on it (example...Tristan from SOTR...I do not dislike him anymore, of course he might slide back in jerk mode once Sandra goes back for more sessions and/or recordings)

until then I will keep hoping for some Karma strike-back that is not brushed off as an "opportunity to improve".

dmra

Post by dmra »

You mean "karma houdini-ing" like being betrayed by one boyfriend and recently losing another. We haven't been shown the full effects of the Jerzy break up yet but it's clear that the Matt thing had a fairly traumatic impact. Dillon has actually suffered quite a lot in these strips. Not as much as you might have liked perhaps but the last thing he is is a karma houdini.

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

that was in MA3, in MA3 I actually LIKED Dillon.

See, the lost Jerzy of his own doing, yet the consequences of it are yet to be worked upon but thanks to the last few strips it seems he is going to just jump back on the horse again and seduce "guy with girlfriend #28"

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out »

Ruby really does look a lot more like her sister when she's asleep. Some common style to their bedhead hair maybe.

This does make me wonder if we're going to see any attempts to link Dillon's one time concern for his grades (sure, excuse in the flashback but he must have put in enough work for people to believe it) with Ruby's seeming dedication to them. Finding out he was ever academically strong might be a surprising place to find common ground.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

some say that it might be( at least in Dill's mind) JERZY!!!! if Angel ends up being a gal as some readers think, and that is why Jerzy does not want Angel; not just because they are friends, but because Jerzy wants just guys, not gals
ImageImage

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

I still think Angel is a girl

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Optimus Kate wrote:I mean, it's a little unbelievable that 27 heterosexual males slept with another man just because he's a good kisser and, you know, continued identifying as heterosexual.

But I guess there's a Kinsey Scale for a reason!
We'll be getting back to that line. It's not over yet. ;;)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

I think we actually had quite the conversation about that a couple of strips back.
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

wi1dfire

Post by wi1dfire »

Odd Man Out wrote:This does make me wonder if we're going to see any attempts to link Dillon's one time concern for his grades (sure, excuse in the flashback but he must have put in enough work for people to believe it) with Ruby's seeming dedication to them. Finding out he was ever academically strong might be a surprising place to find common ground.
Eh, you could be right, but I wouldn't be surprised to learn that Dillon is one of those people to whom high school level work just came naturally. If you have a better than average memory, which he probably does (actor), it isn't that difficult. Many "smart" people, myself included, found out the hard way the limits of their own intellects when they progressed into college classes and beyond. For example, I got into college without the least bit of an idea about how to go about writing a proper paper, and my grammar remains quite shaky to this day. I didn't get formally diagnosed with either dyslexia or ADHD until I was nearly 20 (and by then the ADHD was mostly gone on its own) because the idea of someone with my recall having learning disabilities was silly.

Circling back to Dillon, his memory is probably damn good, but his logical skills seem underutilized. Like a library stuffed full of books on all topics but no organization to the books, that combination is less useful than it would seem on paper.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Spidrift wrote:
Don Alexander wrote:
I don't have the faintest idea what you're on about either (would that be William Gibson?), so I'll just say that some of us can remember the simple satisfaction of simply typing *plonk*.
Yes, indeed, William Gibson. Specifically his novels Virtual Light and Idoru.
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Kiggy

Post by Kiggy »

bejammin2000 wrote:I think I'm in the minority here, most likely, but I think Ruby and Dillon are cute together. And, at least in my head, Ruby is what makes Dillon realize that maybe he's not so super-mega-gay as he thinks he is and might actually be a teensiest bit bi.

Or maybe there's the whole thing about being burned by men to often that he's chased into the arms of a woman like in those movies that plays on late night cinemax.

Just the other way around.

I started a thread last year with the prediction that Ruby would/could fall hard for Dillon, but she would end up heartbroken as he has no interest in women. Of course, it all depends on the gods in Valhalla (aka DAHLING) if said prediction takes flight or crashes and burns.

viewtopic.php?f=80&t=14499&p=469810&hil ... on#p469810
A Jersey Devil, a Mothman, and a Chupacabra walk into a bar. . .

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Odd Man Out wrote:This does make me wonder if we're going to see any attempts to link Dillon's one time concern for his grades (sure, excuse in the flashback but he must have put in enough work for people to believe it) with Ruby's seeming dedication to them.
Honestly, I wouldn't read much into that line at all. It was very much an excuse in the context, and it could just as easily mean "my grades are weak and I don't want them to get worse" as "my grades are good and I want them to get even better".
wi1dfire wrote:Circling back to Dillon, his memory is probably damn good, but his logical skills seem underutilized.
I think that's what's called an understatement...
Don Alexander wrote:Yes, indeed, William Gibson. Specifically his novels Virtual Light and Idoru.
Ah, right. I'm sadly patchy on that later sequence. Sprawl trilogy references, I'd probably get.
Kiggy wrote:I started a thread last year with the prediction that Ruby would/could fall hard for Dillon, but she would end up heartbroken as he has no interest in women.
Ruby is now very clear that Dillon is gay, she's shown no signs of any misguided social-conservative ideas about gayness being an illness that can be cured, and she has no serious sexual vanity, so she wouldn't assume that she could change him through sheer seductiveness. If she found herself falling for him, she'd just get annoyed with herself.

(And it's always been the point of Dillon as a character that he's the gayest vaginaphobic thing on Planet Gay during Gayness Week, Kinsey Seven with a bullet; him showing the faintest twinge of sexual interest in anything without a penis just ain't gonna happen.)
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.