Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Giz
Site Admin

12-08-14 I like someone else

Post by Giz »

Storm-forge mystique

Re: 12-08-14 I like someone else

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...okay, she looks really familiar, but my only thought is Mandy from Fragile.

I find it hard to think of Dillon as "nerdy."

brasca

Post by brasca »

Talk about the tables being turned and here I thought it would be the other way around. Turns out Ruby is grabby in her sleep and Minew is perched above Dillon's head too.

wiseguy

Post by wiseguy »

so.......Ray was Dill's first crush?
ImageImage

Chantaru

Post by Chantaru »

Considering how much space Amber takes in bed, I would have thought Dillon would be used to something like this, since he snuggles with her all the time. Also, he never showed any signs of not being comfortable around women, even though he's not attracted to them. He did roll around naked in dirty pictures with Zii and showers with Amber.

Naitruls

Post by Naitruls »

Long time lurker finally bothering to post something.

I think maybe he's more upset by the flashback than by the fact Ruby is cuddling him. Maybe he was dreaming and just woke up?

Either way, I'm interested to learn more about Dillon's past. Unlike most people here, I love Dillon. SDB is definitely my favorite of the MA3-verse comics. Also, highschool(?) Dillon is super adorable.

FPDC

Post by FPDC »

Dillon feeling uncomfortable? Good. :D

brasca

Post by brasca »

Naitruls wrote:Long time lurker finally bothering to post something.

I think maybe he's more upset by the flashback than by the fact Ruby is cuddling him. Maybe he was dreaming and just woke up?

Either way, I'm interested to learn more about Dillon's past. Unlike most people here, I love Dillon. SDB is definitely my favorite of the MA3-verse comics. Also, highschool(?) Dillon is super adorable.
He might be more lovable or sympathetic if we knew more about his past. Perhaps this next plot if it involves a lot of flashbacks will help.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

So Giz is echoing herself now? Or is this an Archie reference or something that I'm not getting?
Chantaru wrote:Considering how much space Amber takes in bed, I would have thought Dillon would be used to something like this, since he snuggles with her all the time. Also, he never showed any signs of not being comfortable around women, even though he's not attracted to them. He did roll around naked in dirty pictures with Zii and showers with Amber.
I assume that Dillon's subconscious is finally pointing out to him that Ruby isn't just another in his string of open-minded obliging fag hags, but has some emotional issues if her own. She's more like that girl at school who probably eventually got confused and angry at his failure to react to her hints than she is like Amber.

Also, there are subtleties in Ruby's body language and expression here that suggest that his subconscious may be onto something. I'm not saying that Ruby is actually secretly infatuated with Dillon, but it's a pretty obvious guess with her that she is unconsciously yearning for a little love, of one sort or another - Dillon would take it for granted when he's treating her as a dress-up doll - and the fact that she's rolled towards him and put her arm round him, reversing her usual attitude, should be a big hint.

That, and her oh-god-I-just-want-to-make-her-feel-safe-inducing smile there.
Naitruls wrote:Either way, I'm interested to learn more about Dillon's past.
While this is a perfectly good strip, it doesn't look like Dillon's past is anything terribly in need of expansion or clarification. "Gay teen has problems coming to terms with hidden sexuality, especially crushes on straight guy friends, until he eventually escapes to the big city and is able to unleash his inner camp". One might feel sympathy for the young Dillon, but it's not at all a new or unusual story these days, in fiction or, I imagine, in reality. The script would write itself, and end up as another Tales of the City knock-off.

Anyway, the good news is that Ruby has managed to get some sleep, and even maybe discovered a way to keep Dillon out of her bed, without knowing it. She deserves the occasional win, even if she's asleep at the time.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote:
While this is a perfectly good strip, it doesn't look like Dillon's past is anything terribly in need of expansion or clarification. "Gay teen has problems coming to terms with hidden sexuality, especially crushes on straight guy friends, until he eventually escapes to the big city and is able to unleash his inner camp". One might feel sympathy for the young Dillon, but it's not at all a new or unusual story these days, in fiction or, I imagine, in reality. The script would write itself, and end up as another Tales of the City knock-off.
I agree, there may be some small twist in this version, but I expect little difference between this and the average story of the High School Nerd Who Blossomed After Graduation. I can easily see Dillon suppressing his sexuality all through high school, then going full gay camp after graduating and moving to The Big City.

Still, I'll bet those who dislike Dillon can look forward to seeing some painful and awkward moments from this time in his life. It's high school after all, which is a time of painful awkwardness for many people, especially those who weren't part of the "in crowd".
Spidrift wrote:Anyway, the good news is that Ruby has managed to get some sleep, and even maybe discovered a way to keep Dillon out of her bed, without knowing it. She deserves the occasional win, even if she's asleep at the time.
Well, she's got some sleep sure, but kept Dillon out of her bed? Please, this is Dillon we're talking about, otherwise known as He Who Ignores All Hints He Doesn't Like.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

However, this isn't about Ruby dropping hints. (though it would be hilarious if she worked out that Dillon was terrified of female sexuality, and started trying to vamp at him as the best way to get rid of him. Not really her style, but she could get desperate enough.) This is about Dillon discovering that sharing a bed with Ruby, or getting too close to her too often, triggered situations that he didn't like at all.

By the way, if the young Dillon was a skinny bespectacled geek, what does this say about his infatuation with Gary? Narcissism, much?

Double post merged. The DAMNed
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

So, anyone wanna bet the person Dillon is crushing on is Ray himself?

Anyone?

*crickets*
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

MissNix

Post by MissNix »

I kind of got from this a vague sense that Dillon is now acting like Ray did and Ruby is young Dillon, so Dillon will back off from Ruby a little bit so she can have her space to breathe, yes? no? probably no....

Naitruls

Post by Naitruls »

Spidrift wrote:
Maybe I didn't articulate myself properly. I just meant I look forward to getting to learn a bit more about Dillon because I enjoy his character. I don't really expect them to linger on the subject matter. Although I don't agree that the story of being closeted/coming out in high school has to be boring or cliche, I will grant you that Dillon does tend to act stereotypically, hahaha.
Spidrift wrote:By the way, if the young Dillon was a skinny bespectacled geek, what does this say about his infatuation with Gary? Narcissism, much?
Maybe he just felt a kinship to him? In one of the earliest strips, Dillon actually seems repulsed by the idea of going on a date with somebody just like himself.

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

MissNix wrote:I kind of got from this a vague sense that Dillon is now acting like Ray did and Ruby is young Dillon, so Dillon will back off from Ruby a little bit so she can have her space to breathe, yes? no? probably no....
Dillon tends to ignore hints, MissNix. Even those coming from his own subconscious.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard