Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

06-08-14 Can we snuggle

Post by Shouri »

Spidrift

Re: 06-08-14 Can we snuggle

Post by Spidrift »

Well, there's the callback.

And once more, Ruby's tolerance combines with Dillon's borderline creator's pet status to get her hosed again. I thought that she might at least get an undisturbed night's sleep out of this.

Funnily enough, the near-Ruby-analogue I know doesn't have Ruby's temper, but is a really light sleeper. If she had to put up with this crap, she'd be in a really foul mood in the morning, and Dillon would really know it.

It'd be nice if volume 2 gave Ruby a few successes on her own account. She's scored a few wins before now, but they've ended up just compensating for the problems dumped on her by other people, or been favours she's done for Dillon.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

TJgalon

Post by TJgalon »

I really do like her without the glasses
"Somebody just stake me now"

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

AH....he is channeling Sonya, cute

his tears of sadness feed me and are delicious

brasca

Post by brasca »

TJgalon wrote:I really do like her without the glasses
She's cute either way, but she bears too much of a resemblance to her sister without the glasses. Best to avoid confusion and not have a cliche makeover of the nerdy girl.

And congratulations to everyone on completing volume 1 and many more to come!

Ilvy

Post by Ilvy »

How can you snuggle and then at the same claim that the other won't even notice you're there? :-\

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:She's cute either way, but she bears too much of a resemblance to her sister without the glasses. Best to avoid confusion and not have a cliche makeover of the nerdy girl.
Plus, some of us have a soft spot for girls who wear glasses.

The sneakier move would be for her to decide that the outsize nerd-goggles were insufficiently mature, and invest in something with smaller, sterner frames. The day she gets the Strict Librarian look right, she'll be amazed at how many men start offering to do whatever she tells them to.
Ilvy wrote:How can you snuggle and then at the same claim that the other won't even notice you're there?
By being Dillon, presumably, and therefore entitled to whatever you want.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Mr. Bee

Post by Mr. Bee »

For some reason I really like Ruby's hair here. She looks incredibly good especially in panel 3. :x

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Next question. People keep saying that Ruby should be learning from her experiences. Okay, learning what? At the moment, the main lesson I think she could draw is "No good deed goes unpunished". Any time she offers to help someone or does what they ask, they take advantage of her. For that matter, any time that someone seemingly offers freely to do her a favour, there turns out to be a catch, and they take advantage of her.

Shouldn't Ruby be developing into a cold-hearted cynic?
---------
Spidrift

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Spidrift wrote:Next question. People keep saying that Ruby should be learning from her experiences. Okay, learning what? At the moment, the main lesson I think she could draw is "No good deed goes unpunished". Any time she offers to help someone or does what they ask, they take advantage of her. For that matter, any time that someone seemingly offers freely to do her a favour, there turns out to be a catch, and they take advantage of her.

that next time Dillon is being Dillon she should say to him"grow the **** up"?

brasca

Post by brasca »

She would never say something like that. She doesn't have a potty mouth. She would say shut the heck up.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Broadly, she needs to learn to distinguish between "people who are nice" and "people who exploit you". Her old professor was clearly in the latter group. So is Dillon.

[Funnily enough considering Ruby's attitude to her, Amber isn't...]

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The problem is, we haven't seen anyone who's been nice to Ruby without an ulterior motive - which is why Ruby should logically be turning bitter and cynical quite soon now. Everyone wants something from her, or wants to sell her something, or at best, likes teasing her (as in Angel's case) or owes her a lot (as in Amber's). And she's now seen that Angel isn't entirely a nice person, and she never had any respect for Amber in the first place, so she won't be taking them as good examples.

Amber has tried to be pretty good to Ruby since the comic started, in fact, but there are communication problems there. To give Amber credit, she seems to share Ruby's attitude to family, which would be one reason why she's doing the right thing. And while she clearly has a hell of a lot of difficulty understanding Ruby, I think that she dimly understands that she messed Ruby about very badly, or at least that she owes Ruby a debt, which is the second reason. The fact is, though, she did screw Ruby over worse than anyone else in the past, forcing Ruby into her most painful and thankless good deed of all.

And Ruby hasn't had her opinion of relationships challenged at all effectively either. So she won't have much reason not to be hard and ruthless with people.
---------
Spidrift

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

brasca wrote:
crimzontearz wrote:
Spidrift wrote:Next question. People keep saying that Ruby should be learning from her experiences. Okay, learning what? At the moment, the main lesson I think she could draw is "No good deed goes unpunished". Any time she offers to help someone or does what they ask, they take advantage of her. For that matter, any time that someone seemingly offers freely to do her a favour, there turns out to be a catch, and they take advantage of her.

that next time Dillon is being Dillon she should say to him"grow the **** up"?
She would never say something like that. She doesn't have a potty mouth. She would say shut the heck up.
yes but it would shut him up more than a slap to the face