01-08-14 I am whoever you want me to be

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Spidrift

Re: 01-08-14 I am whoever you want me to be

Post by Spidrift »

Ruby would make a better parent, even adoptive or stand-in, than anybody else in these comics, that's for sure. A bit neurotic, but diligent.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

A big #-o for Jerzy and a :ymsigh: for Angel.

I'm going with the idea that Angel is a girl, or if transsexual identifies female. That said I feel sad for the both of them.

Jerzy for letting himself get into this situation. A situation that will lead to Angel getting hope for something that will not be long term.

My frustrations will Dillon aside he might have made a difference with Jerzy and in the long term :-?? Both of these characters (Dillon and Jerzy) need to grow more and that is looking like it will take a long time.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Spidrift wrote: Mind you, what I find sad about this strip is of course that we don't get to see Ruby's reaction to Dillon's provocation from last time - which tends to imply that she won't give him the volcanic broadside that he deserves, and we won't get to see Ruby's still-unreliable strong side reinforced.
Dillon is...not ready for such a broadside from Ruby. He'll either brush it off or break down in drama-queen tears and Ruby will feel obligated to apologize and take it all back. Plus many readers still like him enough that they'd consider Ruby a total bitch for yelling at him in first place. Plus Ruby isn't really strong enough, or pissed off enough, to do so just yet; see my comments below.
Spidrift wrote:I know that Giz & co. really don't do talky strips, and perhaps we'll cut back to see Dillon quivering in the aftermath of a Ruby explosion, but I have a nasty feeling we won't. Which leaves Ruby looking worryingly susceptible to Dillon's "charm", or at least too damn polite, when I keep hoping that at least one character within the comic wasn't going to end up enabling him.
Of COURSE Ruby is all too susceptible to Dillon's "charms", how do you think she ended up at a concert dressed as a guy? Because she wanted to be there like that? :)) She'll have to develop considerably more strength of character, or get considerably more pissed off, to be able to stand up to Dillon's manipulations and/or tell him off properly.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

brasca

Post by brasca »

His charms might account for why she agreed to go as his date, but her paranoia of being seen by Angel and called out for her penchant for yaoi is the reason she went in drag. She didn't want to be identified.

Strangely enough I think Ruby and Angel could be friends. They don't hate each other and aside from Dillon disapproving there isn't anything to put them at odds. Angel may be flirty, but ultimately adheres to the same principles when it comes to cheating that Ruby agrees with and while I do think Angel has an unhealthy obsessive attachment to Jerzy there is the acknowledged sexual needs which is Ruby's biggest problem. Perhaps Angel could convince her better than Dillon that it's okay to like yaoi and other sexual fantasies.

Quote removed. The DAMNed

Mistress Dizzy

Post by Mistress Dizzy »

...am I the only one who is severely creeped out by Angel's "whoever you want me to be" comment? I mean, that is so many different levels of creepy. I am seeing red flags everywhere...

I mean, I know this is a 'humor' comic, but I really can't find anything even remotely funny about that.

*shudder*

Jerzy's too dumb to run, and too much of a pushover to tell Angel that 'Angel, you need therapy'. And perhaps a restraining order.

*headshake* I'm sorry if I'm ruining the mood or whatever, but that is just... so far from funny for me.

Farmer_10

Post by Farmer_10 »

The general consensus so far is that there's something wrong with Angel. This strip was just like, I don't know, the 9th nail in the coffin.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

themacnut wrote:Of COURSE Ruby is all too susceptible to Dillon's "charms", how do you think she ended up at a concert dressed as a guy? Because she wanted to be there like that?
Funnily enough, in the end, yes.

She was doing okay resisting Dillon's bright idea until he lucked out and used the word "undercover". The kid clearly watches far too many '70s cop shows, and I suspect she really wants a bit more excitement in her life. She was offered the chance to play a harmless-looking game that she couldn't resist trying.

She may not fall for that again, of course, even if she did enjoy herself once or twice there. She may fall for another variant, though.
Last edited by Spidrift on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Gholateg wrote:So, When Angie winds up preggers with jerzy's drunk, straight mistake baby, do you think Rudy will be the god father?
Would be so fun ! =))

MissNix

Post by MissNix »

I'm going to go ahead an continue with my assumption that Angel is transgendered or gender neutral until explicitly said otherwise. On the theroy of Angel putting it on to get back Jerzy that doesn't really add up, as the flashback to Jerzy and Zii having sex, Angel still looked like Angel does now. At that point Jerzy didn't seem "over" women, so Angel didn't have a reason to put on being masculine to fit with Jerzy being strictly into guys.

Frankly I hope that some kind of end of the issues from Jerzy and Angel come from their drunken night together (if anything happens after the kiss) If Jerzy ends up just regretting it and instead of facing his mistakes, goes on to avoid Angel, I will be pissed and disappointed at this really unhealthy situation being dragged on.

Edit: to be honest all this speculation, if they go further and shirts come off we'll get a pretty big hint.
Last edited by MissNix on Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Bambikles wrote:
Gholateg wrote:So, When Angie winds up preggers with jerzy's drunk, straight mistake baby, do you think Rudy will be the god father?
Would be so fun ! =))
Not gonna happen - it would require a big timeskip for the Ma3verse for it to become clear Angie WAS pregnant, let alone a baby pop out. And Ma3/SDB are integrated enough - via Amber and possibly Matt - that one couldn't jump without the other.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

brasca wrote:Strangely enough I think Ruby and Angel could be friends.
Their interactions up until now have been basically amicable. A little embarrassing for Ruby at times, but what isn't? I wondered if that would continue myself.

But then Ruby saw Angel trying to poison Jerzy's opinion of Dillon. Even if she doesn't see herself as being on Team Dillon, even if she thinks that Angel had a point, she's now going to have a more dubious view of Angel. Friendship would take a lot more work now.
Angel may be flirty, but ultimately adheres to the same principles when it comes to cheating that Ruby agrees with ...
Ruby has a strong, if strictly theoretical, moral code. Whether Angel has any morals, beyond what suits Angel, is unproven. And they really are on completely different wavelengths, really.
---------
Spidrift

Swayambhu
Booby Bunny

Post by Swayambhu »

>.> Will someone post the picture of the new strip here, please? ;~;
ImageImage

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mistress Dizzy wrote:...am I the only one who is severely creeped out by Angel's "whoever you want me to be" comment? I mean, that is so many different levels of creepy. I am seeing red flags everywhere...
It was more than a little creepy, but not off the scale. Anyone who really wants someone else to like them will adjust to that person's tastes. We all do it in very small ways; Angel does it in big, crazy ways. It wasn't a joke, but it was another statement about how obsessive Angel is towards Jerzy - which knew already, a bit.
Farmer_10 wrote:The general consensus so far is that there's something wrong with Angel. This strip was just like, I don't know, the 9th nail in the coffin.
Angel is clearly damaged. This is semi-serious stalker-y stuff, while Yuki and Sonya just get comedy stalker-y. How easy Angel is to cure is a long-term question for the writers.
---------
Spidrift

crimzontearz

Post by crimzontearz »

Azrael wrote:I'm not saying it's not primarily (overwhelmingly) a feminine name. However, I have known a couple Italian men who have been nicknamed Angie. I also just got done re-reading a story that includes a male character referred to as "Angie". So just calling Angel, "Angie" does not necessarily make "him" a "her" for me.
that's Ange, for Angelo....

also as I AM Italian and was born, grew up and lived Italy until the age of 20 I can tell you that claim is bull....
Last edited by crimzontearz on Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Spidrift wrote:
Mistress Dizzy wrote:...am I the only one who is severely creeped out by Angel's "whoever you want me to be" comment? I mean, that is so many different levels of creepy. I am seeing red flags everywhere...
It was more than a little creepy, but not off the scale. Anyone who really wants someone else to like them will adjust to that person's tastes. We all do it in very small ways; Angel does it in big, crazy ways. It wasn't a joke, but it was another statement about how obsessive Angel is towards Jerzy - which knew already, a bit.
Farmer_10 wrote:The general consensus so far is that there's something wrong with Angel. This strip was just like, I don't know, the 9th nail in the coffin.
Angel is clearly damaged. This is semi-serious stalker-y stuff, while Yuki and Sonya just get comedy stalker-y. How easy Angel is to cure is a long-term question for the writers.
I think one has to either accept that these comics are all about humor and you can't take any of it sersiously. Or take it all serious.

Angel obsessed with Jerzy as much as she is, is no different than the others who do what they do. Zii tracked down an internet troll to beat him up, only to sleep with his mom, that's stalker and obsession level.

I think the idea of Angel is supposed to be that she is in love with Jerzy. No different than Sonya with Zii.