20-06-14 What kind of boyfriend are you

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

crimzontearz

Re: 20-06-14 What kind of boyfriend are you

Post by crimzontearz »

yes, a goddamn thousand times YES.

Finally

-breathes deeply- my day off could not have been more awesome -goes to bake an apple crumbler and whip up some whipped cream to celebrate-

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

I had to research "walk-of-shame". To me it was that A Song Of Ice And Fire thing. :|
But why "shame", for goodness sake ? 8-|

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The term assumes old-fashioned morality, at least as a joke; the implication is that the person has just had a one night stand, and they should therefore be ashamed of themselves.

You know, lurching home at 6am in last night's clubbing dress and heels and smeared makeup, trying not to look like the aftermath of a drunken fling. Even worse if the person in dress and heels is a guy.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

A bit confused over the hate-on for Dillon here. In this arc, he's kept his hands off Gary, Matt was clearly down to hook up, and Dillon snapped out of it, and Jerzy lied first. I'd be more inclined to think Jerzy was less of an asshole if he'd come clean to Dillon about Angel being a lifelong friend and needing support at the gig. Then if Dillon flew off the handle, Jerzy would be justified in thinking maybe Dillon was more trouble than he was worth. Instead he lies about it.

I do think that Dillon was stupid not to confront him and instead to do the whole "undercover" thing, but, hey, it spawned Rudy, I guess.

I guess people here are never going to forgive Dillon for his pursuit of Gary, which ... whatever, I suppose. I think he's well rid of Jerzy, and I think it'd be nice if he hooked up with someone who is not going to opt to lie to him over something that's not really a big deal. I'd also like to get back to the Ruby/Andy storyline, which has the potential to be cute.

mayhemeffect

Post by mayhemeffect »

♥Dillion♥ needs to start dating a long haired leather jacket wearing costume designer.

Not that I have any personal interest in this, or dating ♥Dillion♥.
Spidrift wrote: Even worse if the person in dress and heels is a guy.
It doesn't matter if that guy is ♥Dillion♥
Hugs & Curses

Mackus

Post by Mackus »

Angel might think Angel won, but for all we know, Angel is still friendzoned by Jerzy.

brasca

Post by brasca »

cellabella wrote:A bit confused over the hate-on for Dillon here. In this arc, he's kept his hands off Gary, Matt was clearly down to hook up, and Dillon snapped out of it, and Jerzy lied first. I'd be more inclined to think Jerzy was less of an asshole if he'd come clean to Dillon about Angel being a lifelong friend and needing support at the gig. Then if Dillon flew off the handle, Jerzy would be justified in thinking maybe Dillon was more trouble than he was worth. Instead he lies about it.

I do think that Dillon was stupid not to confront him and instead to do the whole "undercover" thing, but, hey, it spawned Rudy, I guess.

I guess people here are never going to forgive Dillon for his pursuit of Gary, which ... whatever, I suppose. I think he's well rid of Jerzy, and I think it'd be nice if he hooked up with someone who is not going to opt to lie to him over something that's not really a big deal. I'd also like to get back to the Ruby/Andy storyline, which has the potential to be cute.
I find Dillon more tolerable in this strip than Menage a 3, but Sticky Dilly Buns doesn't wipe the slate clean of his history of insufferable behavior. Yes, he's kept his hands off of Gary, but he still keeps 2 pictures of him by his bed and was weak in the knees when he walked by. Yes Dillon was tempted to hook up with Matt, but his resistance was aided by Gary interrupting. As for Jerzy coming clean about Angel do you really think Dillon wants to hear about his history with his ex? If Dillon had gone to the concert without a disguise and confronted Jerzy about all this it wouldn't be as bad because he'd have a reason to be there to support Zii. Instead he dressed up to spy on Jerzy which does seem creepy and obsessive. Angel may be a drama queen, but so far he hasn't gone as far as Dillon in pursuit of Jerzy. He's remarkably adept at giving Dillon enough rope to hang himself. The first time was the pet shop and now this.

Truthfully the only one I feel for is Ruby who will presumably be dealing with Dillon's waterworks since Amber will be sneaking away to Gary's, but at least that means she'll have more focus.

I do agree that this whole half baked plot spawned Rudy and I hope "he" doesn't go away.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Jerzy strikes me as evidence that good intentions can lead to doing completely the wrong thing. He genuinely liked Dillon and wanted to do right by him, and he was loyal to an old friend Angel. All very admirable. But then he sort of ducked the issue about seeing Angel when he was talking to Dillon, without actually lying - which just meant that Dillon could see that there was something iffy going on. And he tries to tell Angel that their physical relationship is over, but all the loyal friendship just gives Angel false hope.

In other words, he's too nice for his own good. A bit less kindness and bit more truth, to both Angel and Dillon, might have saved him from this train wreck.

Of course, Jerzy's fondness for guys who "wear their hearts on their sleeves" (i.e. extravagant camp loons like Dillon) is his real biggest stupid mistake.

And by the way, anyone who thinks that Angel is female can take today's strip as another non-definitive hint; why should Dillon be "thick-skulled" to think that Jerzy might still be screwing Angel? Well, Dillon knows that Jerzy is completely gay these days, and if Jerzy hasn't quite registered that Dillon thinks that Angel is a guy...
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

cellabella

Post by cellabella »

brasca wrote: I find Dillon more tolerable in this strip than Menage a 3, but Sticky Dilly Buns doesn't wipe the slate clean of his history of insufferable behavior. Yes, he's kept his hands off of Gary, but he still keeps 2 pictures of him by his bed and was weak in the knees when he walked by.
I still get weak in the knees when James McAvoy comes on screen. Should my husband divorce me then? And I have met the man and made a minor spectacle of myself, though nothing to the extent of Dillon with Gary, admittedly.

Dillon is attracted to Gary. It happens. It's not against the law. He did some pretty ill-advised things in the name of that attraction, granted, but that seems to be in the past. I wonder if you feel that Yuki can't be reformed, either, because of her cock-kicking past, even though she's actively trying to get better. Does the bad or ill-advised stuff someone does forever taint them, then?

But my overall point is, in this scenario Dillon did nothing as regards Gary. He didn't follow him into the bathroom, he didn't follow him out of the bathroom to the concert venue. He didn't even attempt to engage Gary in much conversation once Gary figured out who Dillon was.

I mean, I learned my lesson before not to argue with people who have made their minds up about a character, but it's just strange to me that so many people read this comic who loathe Dillon. I get that the comic is about Amber and now, Ruby, but Dillon's name is on it. It just seems odd that the majority of the people who read this comic hate him. I loathe Kiley. I put up with her in the context of the Ma3 universe but I would not ever follow a spin-off comic of hers because I will never forgive her for her actions in the storyline where Gary lost her virginity. I just won't. You and others won't ever forgive Dillon's pursuit of Gary. That's fine, but it's going to lead to a lot of discussions like this one and a lot of frustrations, because I think that this comic is supposed to be a chronicle of Dillon growing out of his selfishness and single-sightedness. Here, Dillon's actually done very little wrong, yet he's being blamed. I have a feeling that if Gary doesn't seal the deal with Amber in Ma3, Dillon will be blamed for that, as well.
Yes Dillon was tempted to hook up with Matt, but his resistance was aided by Gary interrupting.
Fair point. I personally think Dillon's had enough of Matt, but it's a fair point that we'll never know how far it could have gone if Gary hadn't come in at that precise moment.
As for Jerzy coming clean about Angel do you really think Dillon wants to hear about his history with his ex? If Dillon had gone to the concert without a disguise and confronted Jerzy about all this it wouldn't be as bad because he'd have a reason to be there to support Zii. Instead he dressed up to spy on Jerzy which does seem creepy and obsessive.
I don't know about the first part of your statement. Dillon does seem to handwave a lot of things that come to bite him on the arse later. I can't believe he moved in with Matt and had what he considered to be a monogamous relationship with him without knowing that he was bi. Not that there is anything at all wrong with it, but that seems like it would have come up long before anything else happened. Possibly Matt did try to bring it up and Dillon had selective hearing. It's possible that Dillon wouldn't want too many details on Angel, though it might interest him to know that Jerzy fucked Zii when he knew Angel considered him a boyfriend. That seems to have been conveniently forgotten by some folks.

But the point is, Jerzy lied. Angel told him to, and he did. There was no reason, if Angel is as good a friend as Angel is, for Jerzy not to have been upfront with Dillon. After all, Angel has been in Jerzy's life longer than Dillon has been, and there was nothing wrong, on its face, with Jerzy wanting to support his friend. My husband has friends I don't like and vice versa, but we both understand that these are people who have been a large part of our lives for a long time and that we just have to deal with that. Dillon would had to have dealt with it, but Jerzy took it out of his hands by being sneaky and lying.
Angel may be a drama queen, but so far he hasn't gone as far as Dillon in pursuit of Jerzy.
But it was a mutual pursuit, wasn't it? Dillon didn't lie or cockblock his way into Jerzy's pants. He was a little extra in sending Amber over to Jerzy's to "test" whether he might be straight or bi, but I think that was more out of a desire to avoid a repeat of the Matt situation. Jerzy liked Dillon. Dillon didn't trick him or even pursue him that much. He made himself available and let Jerzy know he was interested. Why is this a bad thing?
He's remarkably adept at giving Dillon enough rope to hang himself. The first time was the pet shop and now this.
While I like some aspects of Dillon, I do agree that he is quick to the histrionics and that he probably deep down might crave something monogamous but may not be ready for it. I agree he shouldn't have flirted with the pet shop dude. He shouldn't have flirted with Andy, especially knowing he is straight. He is flirtatious and that's not an excuse to act out. If he liked Jerzy, he should have put most of his energy on seeing where that went before trying to get with other guys. Dillon is hardly perfect, by a long stretch.
Truthfully the only one I feel for is Ruby who will presumably be dealing with Dillon's waterworks since Amber will be sneaking away to Gary's, but at least that means she'll have more focus.
I think Ruby will continue to tell Dillon some hard truths about himself. He needs to hear them. The disguise thing was not a good idea. He should have confronted Jerzy the moment he knew that he was being lied to. Now he looks like the loon when in reality, he was more the wronged party. I like the friendship between Ruby and Dillon. He's getting her to get out of her comfort zone and she's hopefully showing him that he has to be more adult and consider others' feelings more than he does now.
I do agree that this whole half baked plot spawned Rudy and I hope "he" doesn't go away.
I like Rudy, but I am eager to see where things go with Andy. I was super relieved that Ruby and Gary didn't hook up in some sort of contrived way. It still may happen, but if it does, I hope that it's after the Andy storyline has played out.

TwoWayStar

Post by TwoWayStar »

Honestly I agree with Cellabella. I love Dillon, I think he's great character, and already I can see him changing for the better little by little. Every single forum update I read though seems to be a constant repeat of "UGH Dillon is so awful and terrible and everything that happens is 100% his fault". You don't have to like him..but recognize that it's not always entirely his fault.

Jerzy does have huge issues about Angel and seems to turn a blind eye whenever Angel messes with someone he's interested in. We've only seen evidence with Dillon but from the way Angel's acting, manipulating the person Jerzy's into doesn't seem new.

Also...it seems there's an abundance of almost white-knighting for Ruby. As though she is a delicate flower who wilts at the first sign of some trouble. For example, about finding out about Zii and Amber..some reacted like she was going to cry or break or something. I dunno she seems like she's a trooper to me! I admire her a lot honestly.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Mackus wrote:Angel might think Angel won, but for all we know, Angel is still friendzoned by Jerzy.
I'm sure of it. Apart for anything else, I'm 70% sure that Angel has the wrong anatomy for Jerzy to be interested these days. Getting Angel to accept that when Jerzy wants to be a good, platonic friend is the toxic bit in that relationship.
TwoWayStar wrote:Also...it seems there's an abundance of almost white-knighting for Ruby. As though she is a delicate flower who wilts at the first sign of some trouble. For example, about finding out about Zii and Amber..some reacted like she was going to cry or break or something. I dunno she seems like she's a trooper to me! I admire her a lot honestly.
I've always assumed that Ruby had to have a tough core to put up with what she has. (All else aside, she went through about seven years of stuff she hated, when three sentences to her parents would have relieved the pressure, just because it seemed like the right thing to do.) But the writers sometimes compromise her strength or intelligence for the sake of a joke, so they don't look entirely reliable.
---------
Spidrift

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Love how Dillon thinks being called thick skulled is considered an insult , but stalking and accusing his boyfriend - a man who has been nothing but loyal, loving, patient, and respectful to him throughout the duration of their short relationship - of sleeping around with his ex girlfriend totally wasn't.

Jerzy made the right call dumping his paranoid ass. I just hope Ruby doesn't end up enabling Dillon by siding with him after all this.
Spidrift wrote:
Anyhow, as I said, I suspect that the more likely reason for Jerzy tearing a strip off Angel will be Angel trying to get him back into bed in the aftermath of this scene. But he may just register the details of Angel's behaviour there when he calms down a bit.
Jerzy is accustomed to Angel trying to gt him back - he's used to it and doesn't allow her persistence to ruin their friendship. And we have seen Angel try to woo Jerzy back into her bed only just recently when she introduced him to Erik, and Jerzy still considers her a close friend. Why would this change now that he and Dillon broke up?
Last edited by Fluffy on Fri Jun 20, 2014 3:14 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

cellabella wrote:A bit confused over the hate-on for Dillon here. In this arc, he's kept his hands off Gary, Matt was clearly down to hook up, and Dillon snapped out of it, and Jerzy lied first. I'd be more inclined to think Jerzy was less of an asshole if he'd come clean to Dillon about Angel being a lifelong friend and needing support at the gig. Then if Dillon flew off the handle, Jerzy would be justified in thinking maybe Dillon was more trouble than he was worth. Instead he lies about it.

You don't get it at all. People are annoyed at Dillon because he's CAMP and that mortal sin shall not and will not be forgiven. EVER.
Even worse, he's CAMP GAY, which is a type of character many people, rightly or wrongly, hope to never see again because they find it old, clichéd, overplayed, when not downright demeaning. 8-|
That's how I see things. Of course I can be mistaken.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

Dillon only refused Matt because Gary walked in and interrupted Matt's seduction. If he didn't walk in at that moment, Dillon most likely would have caved.

And though Jerzy didn't go into specifics on who he was helping out that night, he didn't outright lie to Dillon. And Dillon was quick to figure it out , so was well aware that Jerzy was going to be at the concert to support his ex girlfriend.

The hate for Dillon from a number of folks has to do with his distrustful nature and that he's an utter hypocrite. Dillon has, on four separate occasions, made suggestive gestures, keeping his eye open for other prospects, intended to hit on an attractive pet store owner he had his eye on and attempted to cope a feel from Andy, twice. All this taking place while he was dating Jerzy. When confronted about it, he passed it off as innocent flirting on his part.

And yet, because his new boy toy is still friends with an ex lover (of whom still has the hots for her ex and doesn't much like Dillon), Dillon automatically believes that Jerzy is shacking up with Angel, despite the fact that Jerzy has never shown any reciprocation for Angel's feelings and has made it clear - to both of them - that Dillon is his main squeeze.

Jerzy deserves far better than a paranoid hypocrite for a boyfriend.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:Love how Dillon thinks being called thick skulled is considered an insult , but stalking and accusing his boyfriend - a man who has been nothing but loyal, loving, patient, and respectful to him throughout the duration of their short relationship - of sleeping around with his ex girlfriend totally wasn't.
I'd slightly dispute that description of Jerzy. He tries to be a good guy, but trying to divide himself between Angel and Dillon, when it's blatantly obvious that they can't stand each other, was asking for trouble, and needed more careful handling than not-quite-lying to Dillon and trying to laugh off Angel's tale-telling. If he had to stick with both, he really should have tried blunt honesty with both -- he should have given Dillon the speech about Jerzy being an old friend before this evening, and he should have told Angel that trash-talking Dillon was going to do nothing but endanger their friendship. He might have lost both of them in the process, but that would have been good riddance.

In other words, Jerzy's loyalty and respect are a bit too compromised, to both Dillon and Jerzy.
Fluffy wrote:I just hope Ruby doesn't end up enabling Dillon by siding with him after all this.
I may be too optimistic, but I have some faith in Ruby. She keeps try to do whatever she thinks is the right thing to do. I don't think that she particularly likes Dillon at this point (though she may have started to find him amusing), but she feels some sort of responsibility for the idiot, so she's going to pull him out of this and make sure he gets home safely. She may even scare herself by letting him cry on her shoulder all night. But unlike Amber and Jerzy, no, I don't think she's an enabler. I hope not, anyway.

Apart from anything else, she must be annoyed with him for blowing that disguise, after all the trouble she went to assisting him with that.
Fluffy wrote:Jerzy is accustomed to Angel trying to gt him back - he's used to it and doesn't allow her persistence to ruin their friendship. And we have seen Angel try to woo Jerzy back into her bed only just recently when she introduced him to Erik, and Jerzy still considers her a close friend. Why would this change now that he and Dillon broke up?
It might not. Jerzy generally just blocks those attempts. But now, the difference may be Angel looking openly pleased at an event that Jerzy finds painful.

He's has just broken up with a boyfriend - which has got to hurt, however justified it was - and on past form, Angel may be unable to resist trying "You don't need him, you've got me, let's go to bed", or words to that effect - trying to exploit an unpleasant moment for Jerzy to get past his defences, and probably gloating over that moment in a just-plain-ugly way. That could piss Jerzy off in a way that Angel's routine if tiresome flirting doesn't. The line about Jerzy's "soon-to-be-ex-boyfriend" suggests to me that Angel may be a reflexive gloater. (Of course, so is Dillon. Those two have lots in common.)

Hmm. The other person who's going to suffer totally undeserved crappiness from this is Felicia, who has to live with an angry Jerzy and next door to a mopey Dillon. Logically, she might end up trying to repair relationships in some way. We might even see her. Though that's a joke which I suspect the writers would rather keep running.
---------
Spidrift