09-05-14 I am still staring at it

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Bambikles

Re: 09-05-14 I am still staring at it

Post by Bambikles »

Ruby looks Mat's thingy more than she would like to admit it, isn't it ? :))
I never had suspected the "I'm not gay" gag could be recycled in such a way ! =))

I don't think Matt looks attracted on the last panel, he rather makes me think of how a consumed professional looks at a rookie and wants to help him out of paternal/bortherly affection.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

(Helpful linguistic hint; it's "consumate", not "consumed".)

Yeah, I think that whatever Matt has or hasn't guessed so far, Ruby has triggered his slightly smug nice-guy instincts.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Spidrift wrote: And if Matt can tell plain female briefs from plain male briefs at a brief glimpse through a half-open fly, I will go put a hat on, just so I can take it off to him for his hawk-like vision. (One bets that Ruby wears plain cotton, not lace and frills.) The lack of filling-out of said briefs might be more of a clue - but really, it's got to be the voice that's giving her away. The fact that she hasn't yet got anything out, and won't do so, should then corroborate the guess.

(Edit: Oops, past evidence suggests patterned but not frilly... And why am I suddenly fixating on Ruby's underwear?)
Seeing as how I've never looked at someone else standing next to me at a urinal I don't know how much of what I could see if I did. I only know the view looking down, but I figure the most embarrassingly amusing way to tell Ruby that her disguise isn't working would be if he told her as an "underwear model" that most guys don't wear pink hearts. And it would be fair enough seeing as she's been staring at Matt's goods this whole time.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah, that line would be good enough to get a by on any quibbles about plausibility.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Schmorgluck

Post by Schmorgluck »

Spidrift wrote:To be honest, I think that Matt mostly wants Dillon to be history at this point. There's maybe still some latent sexual tension between them, but unlike Dillon, Matt isn't prone to yearning flashbacks.
Nope. If Dillon is brought up, Matt will most likely ask how he's doing. He's not comfortable with his cheating on Dillon. He has enough self-awareness to care about his exes.
Spidrift wrote:You are the perpetual target of your cat's libido. But quite politely.

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

I love Matt. That smile.

Also -- HIS WEINER!!!

Odd Man Out

Post by Odd Man Out »

Hm. Ruby under Matt's wing, in terms of style and job hunting, could actually be pretty amusing. Particularly in contrast to Dillion's well meaning but flighty attempts. Granted, this may very well be a one off meeting but Matt isn't central to Ma3 at the moment (beyond the G-Bomb). Even just a few strips of dialogue with her could give Ruby fodder for a long time.

Really I'm not even sure I'd call Matt's look here 'smug'. It's more like when Senna was brain melting Gary, he's in a somewhat absurd situation, knows it, and just can't take it too seriously.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Optimus Kate wrote:I love Matt. That smile.

Also -- HIS WEINER!!!
So he's good for the beginning and for the high point of a relationship....
Odd Man Out wrote:Really I'm not even sure I'd call Matt's look here 'smug'. It's more like when Senna was brain melting Gary, he's in a somewhat absurd situation, knows it, and just can't take it too seriously.
Matt is genuinely cool. It doesn't always stop him from being a jerk, but he's got the hang of life too well to take it too seriously. In fact, it's probably him not taking anything too seriously that makes him act like a bit of a jerk when he has to deal with a bunch of idiots and drama queens.
---------
Spidrift

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Optimus Kate wrote:I love Matt. That smile.

Also -- HIS WEINER!!!
Optimus Kate, you appear to be female, so get with the program. You're supposed to hate Matt because he's Cheating Slime (TM). :D So what if he's still kinda cool?
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

brasca

Post by brasca »

I know Ruby is heterosexual, but this is the first time she has loudly admitted that she likes guys whereas before her opinion of them was not all that different than a grade school student. This situation certainly helps.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I'm not sure it's that significant. In this sort of context, saying "I like <opposite sex>" is just a forceful way of saying "I'm heterosexual". (And this is another occasion when Ruby echoes the early Gary...) I imagine that Ruby would regard being asexual as being as weird as being gay - that's not just how the world works, from her small-town-girl viewpoint - so this is just her yelling "I'm normal!"
---------
Spidrift

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

Sadly, Ruby's surroundings won't allow her to "be normal" even if there were such a thing. That's not just the odd-balls she's found herself thrown in with, but as was shown to her by Dillon's remarks about a former boss(professor?) of hers, it includes everyone else, including people/situations she thought were normal at the time.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Oh, her mindset is dated and overly restricted, as well as provincial and conservative, sure. Fortunately, she seems to be adaptable and fairly broad-minded as well as determined to get through. The fun is watching her adjust, not break.
---------
Spidrift

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

themacnut wrote:Optimus Kate, you appear to be female,
#HOWDAREYOU ;)
themacnut wrote:so get with the program. You're supposed to hate Matt because he's Cheating Slime (TM). :D So what if he's still kinda cool?
Matt hasn't been a bad dude since his "maybe I am a bastard" moment. I'm all about the redemption arcs, yo.

Plus, I am a totally shallow human being who rates characters solely on how FRIGGIN' ADORABLE they are. :x Matt wins. I feel like you agree. ;)

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

I'm starting to think Matt's middle name is Draco because Optimus Kate has now put him in leather pants. :p

Seriously though Zii tried to redeem herself with Erik but she failed miserably so maybe its time for Matt to fail miserably at redeeming himself. And yet if Matt does fail his fans will blame Peggy for seducing him or blame the creators themselves but they won't blame Matt.