2014-03-30 [VC] Heather Gets a Baby Sister

Meet 5 hungry vampires who sure know how to show their school spirit...and the wacky crew of monster hunters out to get them!

Moderator: Adam_Arnold

Sk'thloq

Re: 2014-03-30 [VC] Heather Gets a Baby Sister

Post by Sk'thloq »

I think they find it every bit as funny as SilentChaos and I do.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sk'thloq R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

:ymhug: HUGS! :ymhug:

Tython

Post by Tython »

Varanus wrote:Question. Have the authors ever addressed this cognitive dissonance that bothers so many fans and would-be fans? That is have they ever given their perspectives on the things that bother us? I just hate feeling like we are talking to brick walls.

I do know there was a surprisingly large backlash to the "Vampire Cheerleaders must Die" story arc, wherein people hated on the PMS and sided with the vampires. But I blame that largely on poor execution and lack of focus on the things the vampires were actually doing wrong. Or at least that is my explanation.
The main problem I believe comes from the readership mainly the facebook group which is apparently the more lucrative(or so I hear) is more in favor of the cheerleaders so obviously they are going to pander to that group this might explain why in book 3 they decided to change Heather's forced transformation into a willing one so as to make the cheerleaders less monstrous then they are. Although I did ask Adam about this and he did say he wanted to leave some ambiguity as to what had happened after Heather was about to be attack by the cheer vamps prior to her transformation but when you look at the art in the sequence of events and the reactions that Heather has in relation to being turned it came across as a forced transformation, if the plan was for it to go either way then something went wrong in the writing/portrayal of that scene

Also the original plan I had heard/read was that PMS was going to be the main title while the VC were meant to be side stories. But again since the cheerleaders were the more popular they got the title of the book and well there is the concept of Protagonist centered morality, with the Vampire Cheerleaders title on the cover obviously people thought the cheerleaders were the stars.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Sk'thloq wrote:I think they find it every bit as funny as SilentChaos and I do.
Why is it such a bad thing though to want our sexy vampires to be a bit more empathetic? It's not like most of us are asking them to never glamour people or to cease feeding off of random people, just to not keep loved ones as slaves.

Heck, it would be easier to take too if the artist didn't bother drawing Heather's mother resisting (at the start of the series) or looking terrified as she's hypnotized (here). Are we supposed to find that funny?

I came to the comic for sexy vampire antics, not depressing things. I also hate having my suspension of disbelief broken (as I explained earlier regarding how it makes no sense for the PMS to have allowed Heather's parents to remain glamoured or to be ignorant of it). I want to know the PMS's side of things, as I doubt the writers are going to throw all their characterization down the drain for the sake of Heather.

Lastly, if a story is supposed to paint a character as remotely admirable I'd like them to be... well... remotely admirable. The series has gone on for years and all we seem to really know about Heather's beliefs is that she doesn't kill (and even that oddly seemed not important to her at the start).

Sk'thloq

Post by Sk'thloq »

Varanus wrote:Heck, it would be easier to take too if the artist didn't bother drawing Heather's mother resisting (at the start of the series) or looking terrified as she's hypnotized (here). Are we supposed to find that funny?
I did.
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Sk'thloq R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

:ymhug: HUGS! :ymhug:

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Sk'thloq wrote:
Varanus wrote:Heck, it would be easier to take too if the artist didn't bother drawing Heather's mother resisting (at the start of the series) or looking terrified as she's hypnotized (here). Are we supposed to find that funny?
I did.
Care to explain why?

cell718

Post by cell718 »

Aren't they ending the series any way, I mean are they just going to rename it or something?

The real problem for VC is character development most of the characters have no backing for who they are or how they feel. Leonard's character as the only male now is that of a nerd and sex freak whose whipped or just a servant, how can you respect or like him.
As for HEATHER she comes off now as selling her soul and for what because your parents were hard on you and that's and we know about her. Plus PETM is run by monsters for monsters give back that tax money.

A

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Varanus wrote:Question. Have the authors ever addressed this cognitive dissonance that bothers so many fans and would-be fans? That is have they ever given their perspectives on the things that bother us? I just hate feeling like we are talking to brick walls.
Feel free to ask.

cell718 wrote:Aren't they ending the series any way, I mean are they just going to rename it or something?
We're working towards a conclusion.

Tako

Post by Tako »

Tython wrote:The main problem I believe comes from the readership mainly the facebook group which is apparently the more lucrative(or so I hear) is more in favor of the cheerleaders so obviously they are going to pander to that group this might explain why in book 3 they decided to change Heather's forced transformation into a willing one so as to make the cheerleaders less monstrous then they are.
Varanus wrote:Why is it such a bad thing though to want our sexy vampires to be a bit more empathetic? It's not like most of us are asking them to never glamour people or to cease feeding off of random people, just to not keep loved ones as slaves.
Yes, I feel that the comic would have been far more popular if Heather and Lori would have been more likeable and relatable. The time-travelling arc has made all the three characters involved way more likeable in a quite short time, and everybody seem to be enjoying it.

shelfer

Post by shelfer »

Sk'thloq wrote:I thought it was pretty damn funny to be honest. You guys take this comic too seriously.
You're my new best friend.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Post by Adam_Arnold »

Tako wrote:The time-travelling arc has made all the three characters involved way more likeable in a quite short time, and everybody seem to be enjoying it.
Facebook is another kind of minefield:
https://www.facebook.com/vampirecheerle ... 7526367607

shelfer

Post by shelfer »

yeah, they hate me on facebook.
but anyways....Heather is just a ...bitch. And now she's a vampire bitch. she has consistently portrayed that ever since she became a vampire. Personally I loathed the idea of having her in the space and time group and am glad she isn't there. Not once have I wanted her and Leonard to get together. Lenny deserves better. Besides, Katie and Suki are both way cuter.

Hurbster

Post by Hurbster »

Heh, you are the artistic version of Totalbiscuit on Facebook, attacking everyone who disagrees with you. =))
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Nightgazer Starlight

Post by Nightgazer Starlight »

Will everyone just lighten up on Heather?

She's not that bad really!

It's not like she's glamouring politicians in an attempt to move up the ladder until she reaches the President.

It's not like she raised an army of skeletons and creatures to terrorize the neighborhood while sitting in a castle going on and on about what a miserable little pile of secrets humans are and planning rule and destruction.

It's not like she's proclaiming herself a Power and having mothers sacrifice their newborn babies on altars in her image until the rivers run red with blood and humanity looses hope.

It's not like she's commanding her parents to go out and commit acts of evil, and other such things that are really bad.

It's not like she's sacrificing people on altars and performing nameless rites and unspeakable rituals.

But you're all acting like she is.

So just lighten up on Heather alright.

Like I said before, she's not that bad really.

She could'a been a whole lot worse.
---

Signature

My fanfics can be found right here.

If you are a believer of Jesus Christ, and are 100% proud of it, put this in your sig!!

- Nightgazer Starlight, Loyal Servant of The Royal Pony Sisters Princess Celestia and Princess Luna... Forever Equestria!

Polokun

Post by Polokun »

You know, this comic has somehow made Heather an even worse character then ever before.

Not only did her speech during the prom come off as such a bullshit retcon, but this comic is actually making me WISH she got eaten by that Gorgon sister. How can the writer of this damn comic not see just how disliked the comics own damn MAIN characters are?!

I would honestly celebrate the strip where all the Cheerleaders died and died painfully.

Oh and Adam Arnold? Fuck you for trying to play off what is by every definition rape as funny. You are a sick person and a terrible writer, bar none.

Varanus

Post by Varanus »

Yes, Heather is not commiting acts of evil that she could if she were so inclined. But the fact she is enslaving her parents for no apparent reason bar not wanting to be grounded (when realistically she should care more about the fact she is no longer being tortured by a gorgon) seems almost as bad and much more personal.

Through the series Heather has become what seems to be intended to be the "heart" of the vampire cheerleaders group (what with her impassioned speech about not being monsters to Lori) so there is a disconcerting disconnect to see her treat her parents this way with no real explanation.
Polokun wrote:Oh and Adam Arnold? Fuck you for trying to play off what is by every definition rape as funny. You are a sick person and a terrible writer, bar none.
I don't see how insulting him when he actually bothers to interact with fans is a good way to go...
Adam Arnold wrote:Feel free to ask.
Is there a special way to do so or can I just ask here? In the latter case I'll repeat what I've said earlier in the topic:

It's just hard to believe that the PMS would allow Heather to keep doing this when Katie is going to the same school and is on the same cheerleading team. Heck the very fact that everyone knows they are vampires now should make it harder for them to get away with glamouring anyone (and yet Suki is apparently able to do it with her teachers somehow, but presumably it is a temporary state that keeps suspicions from arising).

I can grudgingly accept the rest of the town being too stupid to keep Heather in line but not Katie, Summerfield and Charlotte, any one of whom should be powerful and smart enough to take her on and care enough to do so. Or are we to believe NONE of them cared enough to EVER check on Heather's parents in all these months?

And

Why is it such a bad thing though to want our sexy vampires to be a bit more empathetic? It's not like most of us are asking them to never glamour people or to cease feeding off of random people, just to not keep loved ones as slaves.

Heck, it would be easier to take too if the artist didn't bother drawing Heather's mother resisting (at the start of the series) or looking terrified as she's hypnotized (here). Are we supposed to find that funny?

I came to the comic for sexy vampire antics, not depressing things. I also hate having my suspension of disbelief broken (as I explained earlier regarding how it makes no sense for the PMS to have allowed Heather's parents to remain glamoured or to be ignorant of it). I want to know the PMS's side of things, as I doubt the writers are going to throw all their characterization down the drain for the sake of Heather.
Last edited by Varanus on Tue Apr 01, 2014 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.