Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

FlashD81

Re: 28-03-14 Glad you are seeing it my way

Post by FlashD81 »

Dear Ruby,

Get out while you can.

From a concerned fan on the forum.

Dillon's plan is giving Sonya's plan a run for its money. I'm sure this all makes senese to him (because I sure as heck don't see it), but if he is going to spy on Jerzy, why does he need Ruby? For me, trying to see Dillon's logic on this is giving me a headache.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Don Alexander wrote:Also, I googled "fear of air quotes" but came up empty. Spidrift might be worth a publication. :P
Calvin of Calvin & Hobbes fame hated it too. Though I'm not sure if it is a very flattering comparison. Can't help but find it kinda hipstery, like the hatred for Comic Sans. :p

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Storm-forge mystique wrote:...Dillon's going to do something beyond throwing on a wig, right?
Given his wardrobe of female costumes, I'm sure that he is.
the_Bear wrote:... I also used Comic Sans to add insult to the injury :D
We don't serve your type in here.
FlashD81 wrote:Dillon's plan is giving Sonya's plan a run for its money.
So far, it has the small advantage of being marginally less baroque. That may not last, of course.
FlashD81 wrote:I'm sure this all makes senese to him (because I sure as heck don't see it), but if he is going to spy on Jerzy, why does he need Ruby?
That isn't actually entirely insane. Each person in a group of two only gets half as much attention as one person on their own. And Dillon can use Ruby to partially screen himself from other people's view if he works it right. Plus, being Dillon, he probably assumes that Dilla on her own would be fending off inconvenient admirers all night; Ruby can act as a chaperone. (He might even be right; he does make a peculiarly fetching woman.)
Bambikles wrote:Can't help but find it kinda hipstery, like the hatred for Comic Sans.
No, air quotes are hipstery. They're all about boasting how ironic you are, after all.

(Though at least this discussion has helped me to discover that alternative term for air quotes; "dick fingers". So I guess that if anyone does have a fear of the things, it could be called quadriphallodactylphobia.)

And the typeface snobs have probably moved on to hating Papyrus by now.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Spidrift wrote:
FlashD81 wrote:I'm sure this all makes senese to him (because I sure as heck don't see it), but if he is going to spy on Jerzy, why does he need Ruby?
That isn't actually entirely insane. Each person in a group of two only gets half as much attention as one person on their own. And Dillon can use Ruby to partially screen himself from other people's view if he works it right. Plus, being Dillon, he probably assumes that Dilla on her own would be fending off inconvenient admirers all night; Ruby can act as a chaperone. (He might even be right; he does make a peculiarly fetching woman.)
Oh, well looking at it that way it does make sense. Thanks Spid.
We'll Bang, OK

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Spidrift wrote:
Bambikles wrote:Can't help but find it kinda hipstery, like the hatred for Comic Sans.
No, air quotes are hipstery. They're all about boasting how ironic you are, after all.
Au temps pour moi. Strange it became hispter though, given it existed for quite a while before hipster itself was coined. Mysteries of mores.
And the typeface snobs have probably moved on to hating Papyrus by now.
Ah, you're probably right. ;))

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

FlashD81 wrote:Oh, well looking at it that way it does make sense. Thanks Spid.
I think it's pretty much standard surveillance training to always assign at least two people to a job. If nothing else, if A goes to the toilet, B is still in place to watch the target. And one person watching a target is a creepy stalker; two people alternately glancing that way are at worst a nosy couple.

Which would be relevant if Dillon happens to have done a spy thriller or something sometime, what with his method acting. Or, more likely, he's just had a lot of experience stalking boyfriends and other guys he fancies...
Bambikles wrote:Au temps pour moi. Strange it became hispter though, given it existed for quite a while before hipster itself was coined.
Since 1927, allegedly. But nobody ever accused hipsters of originality.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Darkflame173

Post by Darkflame173 »

After reading the comic a second time, I just noticed something. We still aren't getting any kind of reference to Angel's gender. No he/she, nuttin'. XD

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Various characters have referred to Angel as "he" in the past - but Jerzy hasn't (and nor has Zii, who seems to know Angel better than most). Angel, though, uses women's toilets.
---------
Spidrift

Mutant for Hire

Post by Mutant for Hire »

So the question is, who has the dumber scheme, Sonya or Dillon?

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

Very carefully we must tread on this subject because we could fall in a hole of their stupidity. :p

For the record, I still think Sonya's plan is worse. Dillon's plan is silly but seems to have a chance. This depends mostly on how well Ruby can manage her disguise.
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Yeah. Dillon is just trying to execute some passive surveillance - and he's actually a pretty good actor. Sonya's scheme involves Peggy trying to be two people at once, while wearing a stupid wig.

On the other hand, Sonya's plan involves Peggy, who might be clever enough to salvage it. Dillon's involves Dillon, who might blow his cover at any moment in a fit of camp melodrama.
---------
Spidrift

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

All aboard for the Trainwreck Express...

Y'know, I am now half-expecting Suzi to hit on disguised Ruby and in so doing finally cause her to lash out physically as well as verbally... >_< Ugh.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I doubt that would be what triggers physical violence from Ruby. (Actually, I doubt that anything would. She strikes me as a nice, mild-mannered, peaceful person who's desperate to hide the fact.) She knows that this stuff happens - heck, she's probably been tentatively hit on by a few guys in the past; she just despises it. She'd just get embarrassed (as usual), and try to act icy cold to hide the fact until she could escape.

If anything would make her lash out, it's insults to her personal integrity. But Dillon hasn't triggered that yet, so it's hard to imagine what it'd take.
---------
Spidrift