18-02-14 I will never improve

Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Re: 18-02-14 I will never improve

Post by Don Alexander »

Nice typo, Bambikles. ;) I think you mean "appalled", which is pretty much the opposite of "appealing" ("to feel appealed" doesn't really exist, afaik).

Anyway:

Tonight at 8:

Andy - utterly naive doofus or manipulative super genius???

I'm starting to think the latter. :-?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Bambikles

Post by Bambikles »

Aaaah, you're right. :ymsigh:
got it corrected now. :D

DrAngryEd

Post by DrAngryEd »

...OK, how old is this guy, again? This eagerness to learn and practice makes me think he's like ninteen or something...
"Dreams do not vanish, so long as people do not abandon them."

Captain Phantom F. Harlock I

FlashD81

Post by FlashD81 »

=)) =)) =))
So from what I can see, Ruby liked the kiss and Andy was keen to try again. Problem is that his reason is far less romantic than I'm sure most other girls would like.

Ruby's hormones must be yelling really loud because she barley holding back her fantasies. :))

Whatever their long term relationship might end up, it looks like it would be good practice for Ruby and Andy if they keep going out. I mean lets face it, they are both in need of experience.
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite store on the Citadel
We'll Bang, OK

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Elasticpete wrote:This guy is good
Not really. Ruby keeps talking herself into things; his only trick is saying "Yes I'd love to!" quickly before she realises what she's just said.
Bambikles wrote:Am I the only one to feel appalled by Andy's line in the second panel ? Somehow it makes it look like he sees Ruby only as a practice dummy.
It's not the smoothest line in the book, but it's not too bad really. It's saying "look, I know I'm not a great kisser, but I want to be a good kisser for you, so please let me practice with you". It comes out a bit clumsy, but there's a touch of sincere liking for the other person involved. Well, on a charitable reading, anyway.
DrAngryEd wrote:...OK, how old is this guy, again? This eagerness to learn and practice makes me think he's like ninteen or something...
I asked, and the writers said "early 20s". But as both he and Ruby behave and talk exactly like clumsy, naive teenagers, you can mentally knock four years off everyone's ages and you'll probably find that the comic works better. The only snag is that some of the comedy depends on this being twenty-somethings behaving like teenagers.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Geeno

Post by Geeno »

Don Alexander wrote:Nice typo, Bambikles. ;) I think you mean "appalled", which is pretty much the opposite of "appealing" ("to feel appealed" doesn't really exist, afaik).

Anyway:

Tonight at 8:

Andy - utterly naive doofus or manipulative super genius???

I'm starting to think the latter. :-?
I think you can only feel appealed if you're a legal case making your way through the court system.

I don;t think he's a genius, he's just riding the rapids of Ruby's stream of consciousness.
PIXIE MEL!!!

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Andy is too presh. It's too bad he has such a stupid haircut.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

It just wants to be a mullet when it grows up.

But his really dodgy fashion decision was the bow tie. At least the accident with the drinks has saved him from that.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

Zippy

Post by Zippy »

Spidrift wrote:But his really dodgy fashion decision was the bow tie. At least the accident with the drinks has saved him from that.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

I knew that someone would bring that up.

But Matt Smith can carry off a bow tie. Just. Heck, he can almost carry off a fez. There are reasons why the guy gets to date fashion models. Andy just can't.
---------
Spidrift

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

I work with a guy who rocks the bowtie pretty hard. He also wears vests and pocket watches and has a total baby face so he looks absolutely adorable. But there are a few other guys (who look their middle-age) who try to pull it off and it just doesn't work. I think you either need to look really young or really old. I guess. I didn't think Andy looked so bad with it, but it's definitely a lot better without the tie, I agree.

But there is no saving that stupid haircut. I would rather him be bald.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

By the way, Ma3 has just cut to the next morning. There's no reason at all why SDB should have to remain in perfect synch with that, of course, but something tells me that tomorrow's strip may be a weirdly stilted conversation between Amber and Ruby over breakfast, with Ruby unsure how to ask for advice and Amber not thinking that she wants to tell Ruby where she was last night.
---------
Spidrift

Optimus Kate

Post by Optimus Kate »

Were these two nights supposed to be coinciding with each other?

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Some of us assumed so, because Dillon and Ruby were both out when Zii called Amber - she left them a note. We guessed that Ruby was going to get in and discover the note and no Amber (and this might have been a plot point).

Of course, if SDB now cuts to the next morning, it'll be less important anyway. But there might still be some interaction between the two plot strands.
---------
Spidrift

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

...And the latest strip does indeed have Amber out when Ruby and Dillon get in.
---------
Spidrift