Discuss SDB here!

Moderators: Shouri, Giz

Shouri

02-12-13 In that case

Post by Shouri »

Hurbster

Re: 02-12-13 In that case

Post by Hurbster »

And that's when I'd tell them both to get out of my damn face.
"We're only immortal for a limited time. " - Dreamline.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

The important question is, are all Montreal waitstaff really as dishy as this family of comics seems determined to imply?

(Oops, forgot the banana flambé incident. So at least one of these establishments employs at least one plump middle-aged man.)

Meanwhile, while Andy is evidently feeling firmly oppressed by the other two men, one wonders how Ruby will feel about being forced onto bloody fruit juice. She may be naive, but she's in her 20s and not American; she may well correctly feel that she'd be more than fine with a glass of wine.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Pffft, apple juice all the way. :P

I am actually a bit puzzled. Is that a waitress or a waiter? I'd say a she, but seems a bit unclear (face is quite female, but she would be pretty flat unless that clothing is highly unrevealing).

Anyway, SpiDrift, I'm unclear as to the meaning of "dishy" (some special British word?), but if it means young and attractive, well, that's what they usually hire...

Also, hard to scream "patriarchal phallocrat" at this girl(?), so that guy had to be male and a bit older to make the joke work.

Also, nice to see the comic around midnight my time. :P Do we also get Eerie Cuties soon?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

zaprzapb

Post by zaprzapb »

This is like watching a train wreck in slow motion.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

dillon & jerzy as over-protective big brothers amuses me greatly
Yet still, I live...

TheEighth

Post by TheEighth »

You know it's weird.....I wouldn't expect a man wearing a bowtie to have ill intent.
What's the big deal?~Misery from Ruby Gloom
Dakara Korosu/So I'll Kill You~Kei Munakata from Medaka Box
I Floop the Pig~ Finn from Adventure Time
Dangerously Cheesy!~ Chester Cheetah from Cheetos
What the Juice? ~Randy Cunningham from Randy Cunningham: Ninth Grade Ninja.
Groovy. ~ Ashley J. Williams from Evil Dead
Just let yourself go floppy.
For now this is your chance.
Pretend you have no bones
And do the Rubber Chicken Dance~ Cheese Sandwich from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
I'm Appuhjack! Mowe appuh fwittuh?~ Baby Applejack from My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic
It's Taco Tuesday!~Sonata Dusk from Equestria Girls: Rainbow Rocks

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

Good advice, unless you're a Dalek.

In other news, Dakota has apparently fallen on hard times. Guess witchhunting is a bit touch-and-go in the Mà3-verse...

themacnut

Post by themacnut »

Hurbster wrote:And that's when I'd tell them both to get out of my damn face.
You and me both. But apparently Andy has Gary-esque levels of spinelessness.
Check out this space opera superhero webcomic: The Vanguard

Milnoc

Post by Milnoc »

Don Alexander wrote:I am actually a bit puzzled. Is that a waitress or a waiter? I'd say a she, but seems a bit unclear (face is quite female, but she would be pretty flat unless that clothing is highly unrevealing).
Maybe they're eating at "Androgyn's." :p

Error of Logic

Post by Error of Logic »

I'm loving the protective big brother-vibe those two have going on. ^^

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Don Alexander wrote:I am actually a bit puzzled. Is that a waitress or a waiter? I'd say a she, but seems a bit unclear (face is quite female, but she would be pretty flat unless that clothing is highly unrevealing).
Not every woman in the Ma3 universe is DiDi-shaped, you know. And I see a hint of a ponytail there, which makes this either a waitress or a hipster. The facial structure says waitress to me.
Anyway, SpiDrift, I'm unclear as to the meaning of "dishy" (some special British word?), but if it means young and attractive, well, that's what they usually hire...
Dishy; a dish. Delectable. And I've nothing against any individual good-looking waitstaff, but when that's all you see, I suspect that's the sole hiring criterion. So I'm going to be paying to subsidise some failed model's moisturiser habit, rather than getting efficiency, politeness, or knowledge of the menu.

Plus, when every restaurant in town has model-grade waitstaff, it says that there's not enough employment prospects in town for good-looking people.
themacnut wrote:But apparently Andy has Gary-esque levels of spinelessness.
Be fair; they've got him physically boxed in, they're both looming quite well (both being bigger than him), and Jerzy for one has a construction-worker physique.
---------
Spidrift
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.

brasca

Post by brasca »

themacnut wrote:
Hurbster wrote:And that's when I'd tell them both to get out of my damn face.
You and me both. But apparently Andy has Gary-esque levels of spinelessness.
Jerzy works in construction and he has a sister so I imagine the intimidating brother is familiar territory and even Dillon could probably slap fairly hard so Andy is in a bit of a spot. Besides it's easy enough to say what we'd do in a situation like this, but most of us for the sake of being polite or not starting a fight in a fancy restaurant would just endure the awkwardness.

I'm a little surprised how this is going. I thought Ruby would be uncomfortable, but the night is still young.

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Ruby really does seem to be less messed up than she appeared at first. She has an issue with her sister, obviously, and she isn't very subtle about showing it, and Dillon discomforts and occasionally annoys her - but she actually tries to be polite to everyone except Amber, and to judge by what we've seen of her in the last few strips, she's perfectly capable of going out for dinner with a guy, accepting a gift with good grace, and, you know, chatting and smiling and being decent company. (It may help that Andy seems to be polite and not too pushy.) She's avoided romance and sex up until now, but it appears that, if she changes her mind about that, she shouldn't have too much difficulty forming relationships, once she gets the hang of the basic rules of the game.

Apart from (a) comedy and (b) Dillon's infinite capacity for being an arse, of course.

So what she makes of this situation could be interesting. From her point of view, she was just getting along fine with Andy, no pressure anywhere, and now Dillon and Jerzy are being all weird and making things difficult for no obvious reason. If she registers quite what they're doing to Andy, I can see her getting explosively annoyed, on principle.

Edit: And then, my Media Player throws up a Cardigans track - "I Need Some Fine Wine And You, You Need To Be Nicer":

Well here's a good man and a pretty young girl
Trying to play together somehow...
Sometimes we talk over dinner like old friends
Till I go and kill the bottle,
I go off over any old thing,
Break your heart
and raise a glass or ten...
---------
Spidrift

brasca

Post by brasca »

Amber is Ruby's sister so I can expect a certain amount of incivility. That's how siblings are.