Unofficial manga license poll (yuri)

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.

What yuri manga would you like to see licensed?

Sasameki Koto
39%
Hana to Hoshi
6%
Riko to Haru to Onsen to Iruka
6%
Anything else by Morinaga Milk (Himitsu no Recipe or Gakuen Police, etc)
33%
JManga license acquisitions (Sweet Blue Flowers, Chatting in the Amber Teahouse, etc.)
6%
Other (please name)
6%
Yuri sucks!
6%

Total votes: 18

Nermie

Unofficial manga license poll (yuri)

Post by Nermie »

First I need to state that this is clearly not an official poll by Seven Seas. I am just a fan trying to drum up response to possibly get things I (and other people) like get licensed. Also, Adam Arnold, if this poll is against the rules, please shut it down.

On to the content, I picked what I could find of popular yuri manga that's not already licensed and put it in the poll. Please add in your own suggestions if I missed something major. First make sure you do your research on publishers though. Afterall, Seven Seas just CAN'T license manga from certain magazines/publishers, because they already have affiliated companies.

My personal pick for the poll is Sasameki Koto. I've mentioned it several times in the license suggestion thread, and I know it's an extremely popular and well-received series to the fans. Complete at 9 voumes, it would be perfect for a 3 volume omnibus format.

Anyways, I hope we get a good amount of response on this poll.. if it doesn't get shut down that is, haha.

Adam_Arnold
Squad-Mod

Re: Unofficial manga license poll (yuri)

Post by Adam_Arnold »

DMP already has Sweet Blue Flowers/Aoi Hana.

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

Well, i voted on Hana to Roshi since it looks nice with an interesting story, but the main reason i don't know many good Yuri series is mainly couse (1)they don't have an interesting story, or (2) they just drag on and on without any progress.

Its probably the reason enjoy series like A Certain scientific railgun so much, since it has a yuri side-character(Kuroko in this instance) thats fun to see and does't get dull.
Besides, for good yuri action u better check out Menage a 3 or other webcomics, u'll have more succes that way then with published works.

Nermie

Post by Nermie »

Adam Arnold wrote:DMP already has Sweet Blue Flowers/Aoi Hana.
Oh? I musta missed that. Thanks Adam. ^_^

einhorn303

Post by einhorn303 »

What I'd really like to say is "Saki," but I'm not sure that's realistic. A mahjong manga doing well in the US? It's totally yuri-tastic, though.

What I would love to see is anything else by Morinaga Milk. Girlfriends and "Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms Pink" were both sooo good.
Avatar: Rico from Gunslinger Girl. Art by Yu Aida (相田 裕).

Purple Library Guy

Post by Purple Library Guy »

Well, I have a very soft spot for Chatting at the Amber Teahouse. But it's not so well known.
I do think Octave might do well, because it's pretty well written and realistic, kind of a tougher story.

But really, Sasameki Koto is the most major, classic title in that list and it's so gosh-darned cute and touching.

Yuenki

Post by Yuenki »

Vote for Kuzushiro sensei works : Inugami-san to Nekoyama-san or Kimi no Tame nara Shineru. And Amano Shuninta : Watashi Sekai o Kousei suru Chiri no You na Nani ka. It's has unique and strong point unlike any other yuri manga. So Seven Seaz, consider my recommendation.
einhorn303 wrote: What I would love to see is anything else by Morinaga Milk. Girlfriends and "Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms Pink" were both sooo good.
Girlfriends and "Kisses, Sighs, and Cherry Blossoms Pink" are Morinaga Milk masterpiece, her other manga plot and story are not outstanding.

I wonder why many yuri fan seems to be passive, they don't took this chance to convince Seven Seaz about their choice. With so little feedback at this forum and Seven Seaz twitter. I am very excited about this.

OverRide

Post by OverRide »

As previously mentioned, Saki would be a good call, but doing well in the west? though I think it has a big enough following to grant a Western adaption, whether a company will pick it up or not is a different matter entirely. So then I'd have to say length wise what seems reasonable, I can't off the top of my head remember many "long" yuri mangas (the reason I'm picking a long manga is simply because allows character development as well as, able to make a bigger profit than a short running yuri) In my eyes for Yuri a long one is more than 5 volumes, so in this case Sasameki Koto, though this is all just off the top of my head.

Another shout would be Sakura Trick, just got a anime announced, and is currently at 2 volumes, Citrus by Saburouta again ongoing, Yuri Mekuru Hibi is a 1 volume yuri, which didn't really fit my "5 volume" criteria, but it's a shout. Ameiro Kouchakan Kandan is my last shout, 2 volumes, would probably do good as an omnibus rather than single volumes. I have missed some but, I really only see Sasameki Koto as being a realistic choice at getting a western adaption. (Out of the ones mentioned, I have probably over looked one or two (maybe more))

Nermie

Post by Nermie »

Thanks for the input guys. Direct others you know who like yuri here, so we can get some more numbers in this poll. I'll admit, I love yuri, but I honestly don't know TOO much about different authors, so I'm looking forward to any additional input and suggestions people have.

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

Conserning Yuenki's comment about the passivenes of Yuri fans:
Well, i think the main reason ppl don't talk about it much is becouse they don't know what to say about it and as it is in my case, don't know any yuri series. :(
May sound stupid but i don't know any of the series posted about here(had to look em up) and while i like it, it does't have be the main theme of a series, i'd prefer a good story over all the loveydovey stuff anyday.

An example is a serie like Negima!, it has a great main story but also a yuri substory(between Konoka and Setsuna) thats fun to follow and good for some exstra laughs :)
I like series who have something similar like that but who don't make alone about it.

1 other reason that might also be a reason u don't hear much about it is the fact that most yuri is only found in hentai series...

Nermie

Post by Nermie »

Weertangel wrote:Conserning Yuenki's comment about the passivenes of Yuri fans:
Well, i think the main reason ppl don't talk about it much is becouse they don't know what to say about it and as it is in my case, don't know any yuri series. :(
May sound stupid but i don't know any of the series posted about here(had to look em up) and while i like it, it does't have be the main theme of a series, i'd prefer a good story over all the loveydovey stuff anyday.

An example is a serie like Negima!, it has a great main story but also a yuri substory(between Konoka and Setsuna) thats fun to follow and good for some exstra laughs :)
I like series who have something similar like that but who don't make alone about it.

1 other reason that might also be a reason u don't hear much about it is the fact that most yuri is only found in hentai series...
I'm gonna hafta stop you right there sir. You seem to be somewhat misinformed about yuri/shoujo-ai. "Most yuri is only found in hentai" is a gross and broad stereotype. Yuri as a subgenre is focused more towards older audiences and tends to focus on more physical aspects of a romantic relationship, since it is a genre aiming towards adults.. but that does not necessarily mean it is just pure sex such as you'd see in a hentai. I've seen a number of yuri stories where sex is only implied, it's just the thought process and actions of the characters that makes it yuri, because of it's target audience. Shoujo-ai is generally cuter, softer and almost always about younger girls (usually middle to early high school), which focuses on the emotional side of a relationship. Pure feelings of young girls in love and whatnot.. at the most in a shoujo-ai story, you MIGHT see a kiss scene.. and that's about it. Yuri stories also tend to be very dramatic, either from an emotional standpoint (ANGST) or from forces working outside the couple's relationship (lesbianism in open society and what not). Shoujo-ai is usually more light-hearted from a drama standpoint.. it's doubtful you'll ever see a huge explosion of emotion in a fluffy shoujo-ai setting.

All-in-all sir, I'm not trying to flame you or anything, but simply to correct your misinformation.

Weertangel

Post by Weertangel »

^^^^^No problem, its nice u did so, but as lame as it sounds thats just my expirience with the genre so far, altrough i'm getting better at finding yuri series,(last one i found was Shinigami Alice.) now just one with a story that appeals to me :)

Turtwigturtles

Post by Turtwigturtles »

I wish I could have voted for more than one of those yuri mangas. Some manga I would like to see would be that of Milk Morinaga. I really want to read Himistsu no Recipe and Gakuen Police. A collection of her oneshots would be nice as well. Other yuri manga I would like to see would be Sasamiki Koto. Riko to Haru to Onsen to Iruka which has no votes T^T, I would also like to be able to read it as well. Ameiro Kouchakan Kandan (Chatting Over Tea at the Amber Teahouse) would be another one I would love licensed.
Saki would be nice as well, but mahjong and the west. I wonder how that would turn out.

Can't think of many yuri mangas right now. Listed the one's at top of head.

PLS Seven Seas license more yuri manga if possible. :)

einhorn303

Post by einhorn303 »

Nermie wrote: I'm gonna hafta stop you right there sir. You seem to be somewhat misinformed about yuri/shoujo-ai. "Most yuri is only found in hentai" is a gross and broad stereotype...
Yeah, I was talking with a friend about yuri manga, and they mentioned they'd flipped through my volumes of Morinaga's "Girlfriends." And since they'd seen that one sex scene at the end of volume 2, they were convinced it counted as "erotica." Even though that's only, like, 0.5% of the book, and the rest is all exquisite romance and drama! What the heck?
Avatar: Rico from Gunslinger Girl. Art by Yu Aida (相田 裕).

Turtwigturtles

Post by Turtwigturtles »

Recently I just finished this really touching yuri manga that I think should be localized. It's called Honey Crush. It's so cute, but so tragic. The ending ripped me to shreds, but would love to see this localized
http://www.mangaupdates.com/series.html?id=27014