Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

aishabe

Re: Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Post by aishabe »

Hey Gis... Didi kinda looks like a throwback to the old Archie comics to me, with her hair and her eyes. Actually, other characters remind me of them sometimes, too. Did you get any drawing inspiration from Archie and the gang? And also, who came up with the name for Zii's cat? Lita was the name of Sailor Jupiter on the English language Sailor Moon. Just wondering if there was a connection.
Lady High Vice Mistress, Mistress of Vices

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

aishabe wrote:Hey Gis... Didi kinda looks like a throwback to the old Archie comics to me, with her hair and her eyes. Actually, other characters remind me of them sometimes, too. Did you get any drawing inspiration from Archie and the gang? And also, who came up with the name for Zii's cat? Lita was the name of Sailor Jupiter on the English language Sailor Moon. Just wondering if there was a connection.
Yes, DiDi looks like a Dan DeCarlo girl on purpose. It's an homage to his sexy pin-up work.
I came up with the name Lita. We'll find out eventually the origin :)

NOMN0MNoM

Post by NOMN0MNoM »

Great job so far, keep it up!
Gisele u said u were/are a musician? what instruments do you play and what kind of music? just kinda interested being a musician myself :)
Lol i was gonna ask if you based the style on the Archie comics but someone already said it :roll: well at least now i know!

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

NOMN0MNoM wrote:Great job so far, keep it up!
Gisele u said u were/are a musician? what instruments do you play and what kind of music? just kinda interested being a musician myself :)
Lol i was gonna ask if you based the style on the Archie comics but someone already said it :roll: well at least now i know!
I play electric guitar and bass but my preference is bass :)
Glad you're liking the comic!

NOMN0MNoM

Post by NOMN0MNoM »

electric guitar and bass? awesome, same here, except electric guitar is my preference, 3 years i been playing electric guitar, but i've stepped in as bass for some friends a few times, so not very good with it.

Jason

Post by Jason »

Hi Gisele,

I discovered "Menage a 3", "Penny and Aggie" and "Cool Cat Studio" a few days ago and didn't stop reading until I was up to date (and in dire need of a shower). I'm more of a writer than a drawer, but I couldn't help being utterly absorbed by every little expression or pose that you've imbued your characters with, and the experience has rekindled in me a desire to learn how to draw. So... I was wondering whether you've ever uploaded any kind of drawing tutorials to the web? If not, I was also wondering whether your style of drawing had a particular name, which would enable me to research it further. As I said, drawing isn't currently my forte, and my artistic vocabulary is limited to 'anime' and 'realistic' and 'other'. Finally, I was curious to know how you started drawing (particularly at what age) and how you went about improving your skills.

Many thanks, and keep up the good work.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Jason wrote:Hi Gisele, I discovered "Menage a 3", "Penny and Aggie" and "Cool Cat Studio" a few days ago and didn't stop reading until I was up to date (and in dire need of a shower). I'm more of a writer than a drawer...
Hi, Jason. Glad you found the strips and were interested enough to read through all of them :)

My style has been called a mix of Archie (Dan DeCarlo, Stan Goldberg), manga/anime and European (Uderzo, Franquin, Herge, Walthery). I think the fact of being French-Canadian has played a great deal in who my influences are. I had access to French/Belgian comics, American comics and manga. I grabbed elements from all 3. There are more and more artists like that, who like to blend styles. Manga has played a major part in this. I drew as a kid but left that behind as a teen as music played a bigger part in my life. It was only in my early twenties that I picked up the pencil again. I learned by buying drawing books on anatomy, perspective, scenery and animals. I practiced and tried to create my own style by grabbing elements from artists that I like. The style is consistently changing/evolving as I'm always influenced by new artists that I like. The more I draw, the better I get at putting on paper what I have in mind but it's always a work in progress. I never uploaded or did a tutorial on drawing. I may one day. Hope this answers your questions and thanks for the kind words!

Jason

Post by Jason »

Thanks so much for the response, Gisele. I hate to pester you further but I have ONE more question, primarily intended to make me feel better. (I tried drawing today). Would you say that when you started drawing, you already had a fair amount of natural talent? Perhaps not for the specifics, but did you pick up the concepts of perspective and movement and such, with relative ease? Or did your first attempts look like they had been done by, say, a fingerless, acid-tripping sloth? I'm hoping you'll say the latter, but be honest with me. I can take it. I think.

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

glagace wrote:
aishabe wrote:Hey Gis... Didi kinda looks like a throwback to the old Archie comics to me, with her hair and her eyes. Actually, other characters remind me of them sometimes, too. Did you get any drawing inspiration from Archie and the gang? And also, who came up with the name for Zii's cat? Lita was the name of Sailor Jupiter on the English language Sailor Moon. Just wondering if there was a connection.
Yes, DiDi looks like a Dan DeCarlo girl on purpose. It's an homage to his sexy pin-up work.
*Holds the envelope to his head* A late 70's Rock grrrl band and it's second most famous hence solo artist :P . I predict it has something to do with Lita Ford and / or The Runaways.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Bear
BANNED

Post by Bear »

Azrael wrote:
glagace wrote:Yes, DiDi looks like a Dan DeCarlo girl on purpose. It's an homage to his sexy pin-up work.
*Holds the envelope to his head* A late 70's Rock grrrl band and it's second most famous hence solo artist :P . I predict it has something to do with Lita Ford and / or The Runaways.
That would be my guess too since the Sailor Moon reference, Lita Kino was only in the English dub. I doubt its the currency meaning (Litas are both the currency of Lituania, and of Bajor in Star Trek DS9), or the really nerdy interpritation, even though its to do with sound of Laser-Induced Thermal Acoustics.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Jason wrote:Thanks so much for the response, Gisele. I hate to pester you further but I have ONE more question...
No, I wasn't very good when I picked up the pencil again. I think I was better as a kid 'cause I drew more often then. I had totally stopped for like 10 years. When coming back to it, I thought I'd be good since I drew so much as a kid but that wasn't the case. I realized it with my first drawing. I wasn't gonna draw another one like it so I immediately went out and bought books and learned step by step. It's not an overnight thing. If you keep at it, you'll get better :)

Jason

Post by Jason »

You rock, Gisele. And you're so polite, too. :D

By the way, I think I'm in love with Aggie and Zii. :?

Discet

Post by Discet »

ya I cant tell but is Zii a lesbian? it just seems shehas been sensitive whenever next to Didis boobs, if so poor gary lost his chance at her before it began.

Mad_Sheep

Post by Mad_Sheep »

Nearly everybody would get sensitive if such huge boobs looks back down to you :mrgreen:

Discet

Post by Discet »

well granted but Im preety sure guys cant unless they are so epic that they actually turn men into women since they want them then they still like women from being hetrosexual man, though it may not be so powerful to turn a gay man into a lesbian