March Contest Discussion Thread

Past glories of the forum.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Re: March Contest Discussion Thread

Post by Dirty n Evil »

ARGH! Sonova... I was confident there wouldn't be ANY cooking contest entries. And I didn't want to win by default, so I kept checking all month to see if there was anyone who was going to post an entry. I was telling myself that if there wasn't going to be an entry by the end of the weekend, I wasn't going to go to all the trouble of a making a fancy meal and not have any competition.

Can I come up with something, fix it up, and post it by tomorrow? I honestly don't know. :|
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

midgetshrimp
Modly Pirate Jesus

Post by midgetshrimp »

Yea, that's cool. We can keep the contest open til the end of the month. I'm cooking something on Thursday, so it should be easy enough to take pictures of it.
Exuberant High Captain Mod-siah of the Elder Council, Grand Official Bard.
Who needs sex when you have Menage a 3?

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Dirty n Evil wrote:ARGH! Sonova... I was confident there wouldn't be ANY cooking contest entries. And I didn't want to win by default, so I kept checking all month to see if there was anyone who was going to post an entry. I was telling myself that if there wasn't going to be an entry by the end of the weekend, I wasn't going to go to all the trouble of a making a fancy meal and not have any competition.

Can I come up with something, fix it up, and post it by tomorrow? I honestly don't know. :|
Erm, you never had the thought "If I make an awesome entry [like you promised] then that will motivate others to make something as well!" ? :-\

Maybe WE were all just waiting for YOU to make your entry.

I'll make one if someone actually gives me money so i can buy food... L-)
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

DA, I've done that before... talked cocky, made an early entry... and then barely got one or two other entries. (I far prefer a wide field of challengers in the contest, if possible.) Now, everyone knew I was going to enter this contest, and as soon as I saw the thread created I mentioned as much. I thought perhaps by waiting a bit to create something I wouldn't spook people off. My bad.

I won't be able to cook tonight - familial obligations. However, I have picked up the goodies for what I'm cooking tomorrow, and I'll post later tomorrow night.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Wouldn't double post except that this is the next day... and, my entry is up! :D Egads, am I glad this turned out well. I had such a horrible day at work, and the last thing I wanted to do was to come home and be on my feet at all. But let me tell you, seeing how well this turned out made my very happy. Of course, I'm accustomed to everything going wrong in my life, so I made sure the photo was uploaded safely to my computer before I ate any of it. :)) My roomie got a good mouthful, and even Saskia was treated to a good chunk flaked off the side.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

Wooot, completely forgot about this. Wait for my entry before voting starts please(i'll get something done later today/tomorrow, promise)?

should I keep up my usual tradition and do a 3-course?

edit: nevermind that, I'm making the meal that has made 4 men propose to mesort of.It's so great that other courses can't fit B-)
Last edited by Fen on Thu Mar 29, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Great entries, DnE!!! :-bd

I borrowed some spending money from the friend I visited last night, so yay!!!

I'm not sure I'll have time today, but at the latest tomorrow I will make my entry!!!
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Entry made, consumed and epic photoshoot on my computer!!

Will upload later and make entry! :-bd

I now recall Fen's sexy bribery from way back, hmmmmm. :D
ImageImage

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

The food's so good it doesn't need any bribery B-)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

CONTEST!!! ENTERED!!!

;))

So, here's some "Behind the Scenes":

First off, thanks to midge, both for extending the deadline and for suggesting to me early this month that "even a PBJ would do" - I took that quite literally. ;)

Then of course, further inspiration from Epic Meal Time and Ordinary Swedish Meal Time!

Now, I actually recharged my camera batteries because I wanted to take epic action shots with the timer mode. But... :( Looks like my camera is dead. The batteries, while not new, have not been used/recharged much, they really should still be good, but the camera didn't even turn on. so I had to use my crappy cell phone camera, that's why I made the pictures so small, they look absolutely horrible fullsize...

Protip: Better put the banana slices on last, smearing the plum butter (which is in no way butter, that's just what an online dictionary told me it's called in English - it's more like a jelly) over them is quite a bitch.

Sine I had to hold my cell in one hand, I had to be a bit creative in taking the shots - especially the last two. With only one free hand, I had to put the baguette in my mouth and balance it like that.
And then, in the way back, the baguette broke! Luckily, I was almost over my plate, but of course the shorter piece in my hand fell out and turned over onto the gooey side... 8-| the longer piece still in my mouth slapped down on my T-shirt but it remained dry, was only touched by bread.
But then... I noticed part of my cell phone was full of plum butter!!! The bottom part, where all the ports are. :| Hooray, something just had to go wrong, huh?
ImageImage

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

It's in the oven. The smell is killing me =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~ =p~

My cooking English is horrible L-) and I'm really bad at writing recipes :-?? Hope it'll be understandable

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

Well, i made a delicious melon pie (kinda like an apple pie, but with melons instead with a stroke of sugar/vanilla mix ontop) this evening as an entry to the contest... but i can't find any camera to get a photo of it. :(
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Fen, great entry! It looks very good, even if I'm not a fan of sour cream... the inclusion of the bread made me think of it being like meatloaf. DA & Tellus, if you manage to get pics of your entries, I'd love to see them too. The more contestants in this, the merrier! Om nom nom!

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

well it kind of is just a really fancy(and huge) meatloaf :). The sour cream is more for texture than taste, you won't really feel it(i know you dislike sour cream, sorry for always having it in my recipes!). I think you could just substitute it with something else. After all, though it is technically called sour creamwhat I use is quite different from what you have in the US :) . I think some white sauce, or even some really fat yoghurt might be a good substitute, but I can't guarantee anything.

(i'm actually not sure if what we have is smetana, creme fraiche or a mixture...Romanians never bother clarifying things like this. We tend to have the same name for 30 different types of dairy products and no one can agree which is the real one :P)

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod

Post by Don Alexander »

Dirty n Evil wrote:DA [...], if you manage to get pics of your entries, I'd love to see them too.
Buh. :-\

My entry is up. It is before Fen's. It has pictures! What the hell?

Also, awesome entry and bribery, Fen!!! :D
ImageImage