Magick Chicks 20-09-11 Delighted consent

Discuss EC/MC/DC here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp, Cassandra

MonCappy

Re: Magick Chicks 20-09-11 Delighted consent

Post by MonCappy »

Artemisia wrote:Indeed...what was that...?

And delighted consent? Oh Faith...you really should tamp down your ego.
I'm thinking the comment has as much to do with her libido as it does ego. It was still a pretty damn arrogant statement to make, however.
Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy and wealthy but socially dead.
http://moncappys.minitroopers.com

DinoJake

Post by DinoJake »

Artemisia wrote:So...I may be right that Faith is not, well, evil, and hasn't manipulated people into loving and adoring her and that the normal school actions of cliques have created her the way she is?
Faith may not be entirely evil, I'll give you that. And normal school social dynamics helped create her, I'll give you that too.

But I don't think that's all that created her........

That Guy

Post by That Guy »

"What was that!?"

That- dear Faith- was a plot device.

You'll be seeing a lot of those.

Jane

Post by Jane »

Hm, I think this update has shifted my opinion of Faith from "neutral" to "mildly positive" - it's established that she's not just a hedonist, but that she's able to react to an unexpected situation in a useful manner while maintaining a sense of style, and at indeterminate risk to herself. Level-headed, but not too serious, and willing to take risks where required. Granted, this should have been clear from the rival academy's raid, but that kind of struck me more as elaborate flirting than it did anything serious...

Not that I was really expecting her to be terribly one-dimensional, of course, but I was (and still am) curious to see more aspects of her character :) .
NaNoWriMo 2011 participant

Current progress to NaNaWriMo goal: 50,190/50,000 words. (complete!)
Current progress towards personal goal: 50,190/100,000 words (50.19% complete!) (Four days behind! I will catch up within two!)

Please fix this book. (fourth upload)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Post by Azrael »

Wake up Mel, you're missing the free shot. :p
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

TJgalon

Post by TJgalon »

I am happy to give Mel a lost this way. I knew there was no current way for her to win, and at the same time, she gave faith some interesting things to ponder on, wonder about her powers and that of the other two.
"Somebody just stake me now"

The Nick
<3 <3 Most Loved <3 <3

Post by The Nick »

Random Wanderer wrote:I don't have the time right now to search the archives and see if Faith's really never groped anyone without their consent, but for the moment I'll take her word for it. ...Recognizing that her definition of "consent" seems to include "people I've telepathically manipulated into believing they love me."
Never groped.

And 'manipulated into believing they love me' is such a loaded statement. You could say a man is 'manipulating' a woman into being his wife by providing for her and giving her flowers. Some people are just more capable at it.
"Sometimes [Layla] is a bit discourteous."-David Johnston
"The usual incentive for peace is to not be at war."-Thor
"that's actually one of thor's lines you've got in your signature there, not one of mine." -J (usually more invisible)
"Somebody just stake me now" -TJgalon
"I can masturbate without guilt now." -Panchocheesecake
"More Nick-sarcasm is always appreciated. Hail Beret Cat!" -Don Alexander
"...get that girl's panties off of her as soon as possible, and then see what effect that has on her personality." -kitsune9tails (out of context)
"special flowers" -Thor
"Doggy style." -Milnoc
"Wanted: ...berets on cats..." -The Nick

M_oldie

Post by M_oldie »

Bystander - How did you know? It's like your inside my mind!
Nergil Pendleton - Yes! Inside your mind and thrusting relentlessly!

Best line ever... ever

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Yet still, I live...

TazTheTerrible

Post by TazTheTerrible »

Another point for team-"Faith isn't completely evil"! :D

Though personally I'm not sure if I actually want to cheer for that too much. I like Faith both ways.

Now, "capable in a crisis", "respect for the individual" and "caring for compatriots" though, these are aspects that'll score a character positive points with me regardless of whether she's light side or dark side. :)

TCampbell

Post by TCampbell »

I think we did want to establish that Faith does have a code of conduct. She doesn't draw the lines between "good conduct" and "bad conduct" at the same places that you or I might. And she certainly doesn't think about the gray areas as much as she should. But she does have rules for herself, and for the most part, she sticks to them.

As an example, Faith sees rape as wrong, sick and evil. Notice that she never really strains to produce a sexual response in someone else, not even in Tiffany, not like she's straining in the latest installment. She views all her sexual behavior as seduction. She might be able to reach out and give someone's mind an arousing caress, but the decision to respond is ultimately theirs, in her view. She's pretty confident that her favorites will respond sooner or later, but that's because she's so hot and awesome, not because she's an insecure bully wrestling them into unwilling submission. "Just be honest about your desires, Melissa."

That's how Faith sees it. Tiff has a different view.

(And yes, I know that rapists do sometimes use shallow self-justifications like "She clearly wanted it, she was asking for it." In Faith's defense, no one she's actually slept with has come forth afterward claiming they were used or abused. But that isn't proof that Faith's use of her powers is proper.)

It's an intriguing question, really, and one of the reasons I love chatting with Dave and Giz about this series. What is control? How much is too much? I choose to dress in a certain way, knowing this will affect-- one might say manipulate or even control-- other people's perceptions of me. I'm pretty sure that's okay. But I've been in situations where the line seemed fuzzy. And I'm sure it gets a lot fuzzier when you're dealing with the emotional maturity of extroverted high school girls, coupled with psychic powers. The most important mind to control is your own.

Random Wanderer

Post by Random Wanderer »

The Nick wrote:And 'manipulated into believing they love me' is such a loaded statement. You could say a man is 'manipulating' a woman into being his wife by providing for her and giving her flowers. Some people are just more capable at it.
What she did to Melissa a few comics back was manipulation. Trying to seduce someone while their inhibitions are effectively gone? That's a bad thing whether you're doing it by invading their dreams or by getting them drunk. It isn't mind control, but I still maintain that it's a bit beyond just being morally gray.
What is control? How much is too much?
I believe these questions will be fundamental to Faith as a character in this story.

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

That Guy wrote:"What was that!?"

That- dear Faith- was a plot device.

You'll be seeing a lot of those.
=)) :-bd :-bd
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Chekov's UFO? :-?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lighthawk
Killer GM

Post by Lighthawk »

So...is it weird that I like Faith's angry/determined face? Cause I do. Almost as much as I like her WTF face.

The real question is, did she just save Mel's life, or save herself from an up-coming ass kicking?
Holder of the Elder Scepter of Ebilnes, Elected Supreme Ruler
"Who are you? I mean, you're me, but I'm me too. How can there be two 'me's? It's not scientifically possible. You are not scientifically possible!" -Twilight Sparkle, to her future self.
Yira wrote:Whatever, labels are stupid. ...Unless it's a label gun, then we're talking tons of fun. "Mine! Mine! Mine! Mine! ...This is an awesome bar stool, but you can have it."