August Contests discussion thread! VOTE HERE TOO!!!

Past glories of the forum.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Which girl sported the coolest fake beard?

Poll ended at Sat Sep 10, 2011 9:08 am

Fen
55%
Liliana
45%

Total votes: 22

whimsical.bard

Re: The Beard/Mustache contest - Entry Thread!!

Post by whimsical.bard »

midgetshrimp wrote:Went to a friend's birthday party with the theme 'Come as your favorite (alcoholic) drink'. So I went as Captain Morgan:

Captain Morgan's is my favorite. I have like 2 bottles in my fridge at any given time.
MuchachoNL wrote:This is what I have now (shaved).
I'll add another one in 3 weeks time.

EDIT (2 weeks later):
I decided I'd still wanted to compete with DnE's Obi Wan Kenobi beard and thus trimmed down my goatee and sideburns after not having shaved for 11 days.
Result: My too-cool-to-shave-look.

(I know, the beard-growth is terrible...)

EDIT (last day, final result):
Here it is... the fruit of my labor. It's not much, but it's a beard allright.

Ooh, totally cute. Love the beard/fedora combo. :P

THOUGH SHALT NOT DOUBLE-POST!

THOUGH SHALT ESPECIALLY NOT POST NON-ENTRIES INTO THE CONTEST ENTRY THREAD!

The DAMNed

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Re: August Contests discussion thread!

Post by 'J' »

Artemisia wrote:I think most of the terror came from the "how could someone kill off Chloe and so many others". I tend to kind of be immune to horror after some of my nightmares.
got to get the comic relief somewhere
Yet still, I live...

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Re: August Contests discussion thread! VOTE HERE TOO!!!

Post by Ravenhull »

I still say D&E should be disqualified... He has one for special occasions... I live the beard... so there.. nyah!... ;)
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

J, I tend to prefer sex farces and animated comedies myself. To each their own :)
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

MarkMoriquendi

Post by MarkMoriquendi »

Artemisia wrote:Sigh...and here I had another entry for the shipping contest, but I wasn't sure that I should post it anyway- it's kind of really NSFW. Probably melt your computers.
Don Alexander wrote:THIS forum?? You gotta be kidding. :P
EXACTLY! They have me! I'm constantly NSFW ;)

TellusEidolon
Just an Anomalous Phantasm
Location: Ducklair Tower, Downtown Duckburg, on the 151st floor.

Post by TellusEidolon »

@MarkM: From what i've seen you're not worse than the people i've talked to for years. XD :p
Artificial does not mean obtuse! ~Uno from Paperinik's New Adventures.
It is important to draw wisdom from different places. If you take it from only one place it become rigid and stale. ~Iroh
You can't make an omelette without ruthlessly crushing dozens of eggs beneath your steel boot and then publicly disemboweling the chickens that laid them as a warning to others. ~Tarquin
The skin stretched and tanned, the striped suit sown into the flesh itself, the killer donned a new body, giggling to no one, "Wears Waldo."
This is here for future reference.

'J'
A Figment of your Imagination

Post by 'J' »

Artemisia wrote:Sigh...and here I had another entry for the shipping contest, but I wasn't sure that I should post it anyway- it's kind of really NSFW. Probably melt your computers.
Don Alexander wrote:THIS forum?? You gotta be kidding. :P
my original idea was to troll the contest with an explicit nina/arman's arm fic, but i decided against it on the grounds that 1) it would be really gross to write something like that, and 2) that it would probably get me on an fbi watchlist. the comedy value might have been worth the first, but not the latter.
Yet still, I live...

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Sometimes, when I read something enough, the characters invade my dreams...and I had a dream about Zii teaching Didi everything she needed to know about lesbian sex...Yeah, my sleeping brain went there...and I wasn't invited :( :((
"I'm going to do what I do best...lecture her."- Twilight Sparkle (My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic)
"Hello, I'm a lizard woman from the dawn of time, and this is my wife." - Madam Vastra (Doctor Who "The Snowmen")
"There's no point in being grown up if you can't be childish sometimes." The 4th Doctor Doctor Who "Robot"

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

Nibler, while I'm currently clean shaven, I am giving serious thought to sporting the beard year round. I've noticed an odd coincidence - guys all seem to compliment the beard, the ladies seem to compliment how I look clean shaven. While normally that means I'd definitely stay clean shaven, I've been single going on SEVEN FRIGGIN' YEARS now. Any interested party should have spoken up by now.

And I'm amongst those who need to find time to read the shipping entries. I feel shame. :ymblushing: I barely found the time to look over all the entries for the beard contest.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Well, I didn't read any of them until last night when I posted mine. I hope my story was alright. I have to say that I am pulling for Searcher to win, though.

Searcher
Skipper of the S.S.Shipper

Post by Searcher »

I doing better then I thought ... so far :)
"Vegetarian: an old Iroquois word for Bad Hunter." Stolen from Azrael
“My books are like water, those of the great geniuses are wine. (Fortunately) everybody drinks water.” ~Samuel Langhorne Clemens
Robin Williams, a man who used his natural talents to make people smile, to laugh, to spread joy, to let everyone else feel alive; so no one else ever had to suffer as much as he has.

Artemisia
Mistress of Oddities

Post by Artemisia »

Well, I can't say this in a PM, so I'll say it here.

Searcher, you did a very good job with your story. A little rough in places. It was a bit hard to follow what was going on with Tiffany, and the back story on that was very confusing; however, the core story was good, and with some refinement, I have no doubt that it would shine beautifully. Still, it was a very strong story and I did vote for it :D

I just hope everyone understands that I was giving constructive criticism and not trying to sabotage Searcher's chances or anything like that. :)

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

Dirty n Evil wrote:Nibler, while I'm currently clean shaven, I am giving serious thought to sporting the beard year round. I've noticed an odd coincidence - guys all seem to compliment the beard, the ladies seem to compliment how I look clean shaven. While normally that means I'd definitely stay clean shaven, I've been single going on SEVEN FRIGGIN' YEARS now. Any interested party should have spoken up by now.

And I'm amongst those who need to find time to read the shipping entries. I feel shame. :ymblushing: I barely found the time to look over all the entries for the beard contest.
If you trim the beard, you've got the best of both.
Keep it a bit shorter, and don't let it grow above the line below... that way you'll kick beard ass.
For women it's more like "He doesn't take time in grooming himself" now, but if you at least trim it... they will think: "well, he has a beard, but at least he takes time to groom it, so he's responsible"
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.

Fen
Chaotic Neutral

Post by Fen »

^he may be young, but his advice is well-founded. And the beard itself is ok, but white hair(in beards) makes you too Gandalfy. I have no idea on how you groom a beard, but is there someway around it? o.O

I love men with beards ^_^
One day I'm gonna lose the war.

MuchachoNL
Menace to Society

Post by MuchachoNL »

If he trims it with a #3 clipper the white hairs won't jump out that much, but still: his hair is also kind of grayish... so if he dyes his beard he must dye his hair too.
And a man who dyes his hair is a man in midlife crisis ;) :p
I refuse to dye my hair just because of some gray hairs... I wear them with pride :p
And I don't know if being 29-30 is considered young :p
Freudian Slip: When you say one thing, but mean your mother... err... another.