Nymphet (Kodomo No Jikan) - What Happened?

Archived forum topics for Seven Seas Entertainment's line of licensed manga and novel series and other original properties. To interact with Seven Seas directly, follow us on twitter.com/gomanga or like us on facebook.com/gomanga.
Richard J.
Location: A paradise where Funimation saves Geneon tiles and ADV titles.

Post by Richard J. »

This was certainly disappointing news to wake up to.

I'd like to believe that the cancellation isn't actually true but that they're just in a "wait until the idiocy dies down" mode, but I don't believe it. I also don't believe they actually talked to the retailers as they claimed they were going to. This is a pretty sudden change and I'd think it would take a little bit of time to arrange all those meetings.

Seven Seas hasn't lost me as a customer, but now I fully expect them to eventually drop the "no censorship" policy so they don't have to cancel releases in the future.

I'd very much like to find out that the cancellation isn't real or that they're skipping the middle men and will sell the title through their website or other online sites, but I no longer expect such an event. At this point, Seven Seas has lost a great deal of the respect I had for them.
Someday Yuri will overcome Yaoi!

[img]http://www.wizards.com/magic/images/whatcolor_isblack.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.wizards.com/magic/playmagic/whatcolorareyou.asp][b]Take the Magic: The Gathering 'What Color Are You?' Quiz.[/b][/url]

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Some people seriously need to sit back and realize that Seven Seas is not their company, thus they do not have final say in what the company does or does not publish. If you want final say: run your own company, acquire the license and try publishing. Good luck.

That said, we don't know yet what Seven Seas actually decided since there hasn't been any official announcement aside from Jason DeAngelis' statement on ANN. Much less do we know what actually led to whatever decision they made. I seriously doubt that some people on a forum, even if it's ANN, do have that much of an impact.

Seven Seas pulling Nymphet from their homepage and forum may mean that they cancelled it entirely, or just that they have made a tactical withdrawal so they can negotiate with book vendors without having some rabid anime fanboys on their back. I'm not saying to get your hopes up, but to wait until you know for sure and not jump to conclusions.

Thank you for your time.

cu
59cobalt
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."
--Li Kao (Barry Hughart: Bridge of Birds)

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Quoting fixed.
Chibi Flash wrote:
59cobalt wrote:Some people seriously need to sit back and realize that Seven Seas is not their company, thus they do not have final say in what the company does or does not publish. If you want final say: run your own company, acquire the license and try publishing. Good luck.

That said, we don't know yet what Seven Seas actually decided since there hasn't been any official announcement aside from Jason DeAngelis' statement on ANN. Much less do we know what actually led to whatever decision they made. I seriously doubt that some people on a forum, even if it's ANN, do have that much of an impact.

Seven Seas pulling Nymphet from their homepage and forum may mean that they cancelled it entirely, or just that they have made a tactical withdrawal so they can negotiate with book vendors without having some rabid anime fanboys on their back. I'm not saying to get your hopes up, but to wait until you know for sure and not jump to conclusions.

Thank you for your time.

cu
59cobalt
Well, apparently, thats not true. If we don't like anything, and complain loud enough, we can stop them from publishing whatever we like.
Well, apparently, you only assume that.
I've read the scanlations available of Nymphet and it really has some quite touching moments in it, but all anyone can see is OMG PEDOPHILEZ which makes me worry about society.
Admittedly I am among the people who are a bit uneasy with that kind of subject. However, since I don't know much about Kodomo no Jikan aside from what was written on the Seven Seas homepage, I was willing to give it a try before making up my mind.
I hate the anime fandom, I make no secrets of that. Its a selfish, vindictive, hypocritical and destructive thing, and it just makes me hate it more to see that it might possibly succeed in destroying something it doesn't understand, and doesn't WANT to understand.
I don't really care about "anime fandom", much less about idiots who would judge things they know next to nothing about, so I guess I'm with you here. Anyway, like I said before: as of yet we know neither what actual decision Seven Seas made, nor what led them to that decision. Do not jump to conclusions.

cu
59cobalt
"My surname is Li and my personal name is Kao, and there is a slight flaw in my character."

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Aoi Notes: 05/30/2007 wrote:Tuesday was one seriously long day around the Seven Seas offices. Between editing Tetragrammaton Labyrinth Vol. 2 and dealing with this Kodomo no Jikan business, it's really no wonder my nerves are shot right now. I know there are probably some people reading today's Aoi Notes hoping for some insight, but it's really not my place to comment on Nymphet's cancellation.

From a personal standpoint, I do want to say that my team and I put a lot of effort into making sure our release of that first volume of Kodomo no Jikan was the best it could be. We even sent it back to be completely relettered at one point because we weren't totally satisfied with how it looked. So for me, it is sad knowing that the book won't find a home on my Seven Seas bookshelf, but there are very valid reasons for why.

I would like to ask that people remain civil and to please stop blaming Anime News Network. They're not at fault here.
-Adam Arnold
Is this official enough for you?

59cobalt

Post by 59cobalt »

Lord Styphon wrote:
Aoi Notes: 05/30/2007 wrote:Tuesday was one seriously long day around the Seven Seas offices. Between editing Tetragrammaton Labyrinth Vol. 2 and dealing with this Kodomo no Jikan business, it's really no wonder my nerves are shot right now. I know there are probably some people reading today's Aoi Notes hoping for some insight, but it's really not my place to comment on Nymphet's cancellation.

From a personal standpoint, I do want to say that my team and I put a lot of effort into making sure our release of that first volume of Kodomo no Jikan was the best it could be. We even sent it back to be completely relettered at one point because we weren't totally satisfied with how it looked. So for me, it is sad knowing that the book won't find a home on my Seven Seas bookshelf, but there are very valid reasons for why.

I would like to ask that people remain civil and to please stop blaming Anime News Network. They're not at fault here.
-Adam Arnold
Is this official enough for you?
Because of today's AOI Notes I asked Adam for clarification whether it's cancelled only for now or entirely. Haven't received an answer yet.

And no, I don't think AOI Notes qualify as an official statement from Seven Seas.

cu
59cobalt

Rebochan

Post by Rebochan »

I have to say that this is going to affect my future purchasing decisions related to Seven Seas. I wanted to give this title a chance, but Seven Seas chose to bow, not to their *customers* demands, but the demands of people who would never be their customers in the first place.

As I've already seen this publisher give up on other titles due to perceived risk, I certainly feel less inclined to purchase future Seven Seas titles because I have no reason to believe that they will even be published in the future.

Poor form. Very poor form.