Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Discuss Ma3 here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Don Alexander, Giz, midgetshrimp

Giz
Site Admin

Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Post by Giz »

Ask us questions in this thread if you want to be sure we don't miss it ;)

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: Ask Gisele and Dave Questions Here

Post by Azrael »

Query for Miss Gisele please: Am I correct in that you posted somewhere that the Zii character is, at least in part, based upon yourself? Or was I seeing things? Thank you and kept up the good work, I must say I quite like your art style. :D
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

I don't think I posted that anywhere but Zii will have some similarities to myself. The fact that I'm co-writing this project... some of me is bound to flow in ;)

And thanks for kind words, Azrael!

Arkady Nekozukii

Post by Arkady Nekozukii »

Are you using the On or Kun reading for the kanji on Zii's shoulder (禅)?

Zii's is cool: a cat and a japanese tattoo :D

SpadeDeuce

Post by SpadeDeuce »

Is this comic going to have merchandise, and if you werent thinking about it before and are now can i ge t a discount on it :P

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Arkady Nekozukii wrote:Are you using the On or Kun reading for the kanji on Zii's shoulder (禅)?

Zii's is cool: a cat and a japanese tattoo :D
To tell you the truth, I'm not sure here. I don't speak Japanese and after reading a bit on it, it's one of those exceptions I think. So I'm thinking on'yumi but I could be totally wrong. Maybe David knows...
What are your thoughts on it? Is there clear information online that you know of that you could send me the link to? :)

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

SpadeDeuce wrote:Is this comic going to have merchandise, and if you werent thinking about it before and are now can i ge t a discount on it :P
Eventually :)

I know it's early in the strip and hard to tell right now but if there's something specific you'd like to see in regards to merchandise, we're open to ideas.

Arkady Nekozukii

Post by Arkady Nekozukii »

glagace wrote: To tell you the truth, I'm not sure here. I don't speak Japanese and after reading a bit on it, it's one of those exceptions I think. So I'm thinking on'yumi but I could be totally wrong. Maybe David knows...

What are your thoughts on it?
I assumed that was the one. Most people use that reading for tattoos and the like.
glagace wrote: Is there clear information online that you know of that you could send me the link to? :)
Well... as I know:

The On reading is "Zen" (the concept on Buddhism).

The Kun reading is "Shizuka" (quiet or "silent/silence")

You can read about that kanji here (or search on the site for more, it's pretty complete) or the always almighty wikipedia :lol:

PD.- And according to that Wikipedia article, seeing the strokes on Zii, it's more a Chinese tattoo than a Japanese one

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Arkady Nekozukii wrote:PD.- And according to that Wikipedia article, seeing the strokes on Zii, it's more a Chinese tattoo than a Japanese one
I looked at it, and Zii's is Japanese 'cause it has the extra stroke on the top :)

Mishuun

Post by Mishuun »

Hello there, I just joined the forum after finding this, what in my opinion is a gem of a comic, maybe 20 minutes ago, heh. I couldn't resist. Hello, I love your comic, etc. Don't wish to ramble on. Now, as far as questions go, what inspires you two to do the comic? Do any situations, as strange as they may be, be based upon real life occurrences? How do you make the comic, on a technical point of view; Pencil sketches then onto digital inking? Has, David I believe, done something similar to this before hand? I don't usually see WebComics begin with such a great level of art behind them, especially because this seems to be a fairly new one. As far as things go, that's all the questions I have, heh. Sorry to be bothersome if I was. I really enjoy the comic *Banter*

Giz
Site Admin

Post by Giz »

Mishuun wrote:Hello there, I just joined the forum after finding this, what in my opinion is a gem of a comic, maybe 20 minutes ago, heh. I couldn't resist. Hello, I love your comic, etc...
Hi, Mishuun. Glad you joined the forum and are enjoying the comic. As for your questions... I came up with the idea one day and it became an instant passion. I met Dave at the bookstore where he works (they sell French euro comics/manga etc.) We quickly became friends after discovering we had similar taste in humor. After chatting with him about this new idea I had, it was clear that our two minds combined would benefit the strip, so he jumped on board as co-writer. Dave has studied sequential art but is pretty much new to the webcomics field. I, on the other hand, am an old hat. I'm the creator/artist of Coolcatstudio.com and the co-creator/artist of Pennyandaggie.com, so I've had practice in regards to drawing :)

Some situations are from real life or from things we've heard or seen. I can't delve too much into them right now since I might give away spoilers but let's just say that I was a musician in the past and that Dave is all about geeky things ;)

I sketch/pencil/letter and ink the comic digitally on the computer in Manga Studio with the help of my little 4x5 Wacom Graphire 4 tablet. Although Dave doesn't draw for the comic, he does make suggestions in regards to expressions if he thinks it'll improve the end result.

Again, glad you're enjoying :)

vzg

Post by vzg »

It may be a bit early to ask, but—

Will Matt and Dillon be appearing again regularly, once in a while, or not at all?

Dave Zero1

Post by Dave Zero1 »

Matt & Dillon are part of the ma3 cast, so don't be surprised to see them pop in from time to time.

Mishuun

Post by Mishuun »

glagace wrote:
Mishuun wrote:Hello there, I just joined the forum after finding this, what in my opinion is a gem of a comic, maybe 20 minutes ago, heh. I couldn't resist. Hello, I love your comic, etc...
Hi, Mishuun. Glad you joined the forum and are enjoying the comic. As for your questions... I came up with the idea one day and it became an instant passion. I met Dave at the bookstore where he works (they sell French euro comics/manga etc.) We quickly became friends..
Ah, thank you very much. Sorry about the mix up on who drew and who wrote, Dave sounds more like a Stereotypical artist name to me, oddly. Thank you for the answers, and I might just pic up Manga Studio after that, heh. Not that I haven't been staring at it myself, heh. Once again, thank you for the answers.

Dave Zero1

Post by Dave Zero1 »

Mishuun wrote: Dave sounds more like a Stereotypical artist name to me, oddly.
To be Fair, I am an artist, in fact I consider myself an Artist over a Writer. To actually give up control over the pencilling in a Comic i'm (co) Writing, is a new experience for me. But Giséle is a joy to work with, so it's a fun ride. ;)