Anyone else doing NaNoWriMo?

Down below, where the dead threads go.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Anyone else doing NaNoWriMo?

Post by Kamino Neko »

I've done it every year since 2004...only won in 2006, but I've gotten 20-30k and a completed story in 2007 and 2009. (04, 05, 08, barely made 5k, and barely started the stories.)

I figured I'd ask if anyone else were...if there were, maybe we could prod each other on. At the very least there'd be someone who cares to share progress with. :))
I swear I will, I'll make you smile.

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

cyanide_sweet
Ebil Sithlady

Re: Anyone else doing NaNoWriMo?

Post by cyanide_sweet »

I've attempted it the last few years, but this year I'm taking a break. Good luck to people trying it though!

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

After hearing of my 40,000 words in one week which were not even meant for NaNoWriMo, she decided she was outgunned. ;))

:ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug: :ymhug:
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

I'm at 1790 and completed my first chapter...good start, I think. Should get the first little bit of chapter 2 done before the night is through... Or I might rest the rest of the night. >_>

It's kind of sad, I actually plotted this story well in advance, but it's deciding to throw in spins I'd not originally intended so I'm actually confusing myself. >_>

On another note, it prompted me to organize my DA gallery to keep things grouped (and incomplete stuff separated from complete stuff)...

Original fiction by Neko: Heroes of Angel City (now in convenient (and edited) ebook form!). Kuchisake.

Dirty n Evil
Deceptively Evil

Post by Dirty n Evil »

I hadn't even heard of NaNoWriMo until a couple weeks ago... my co-worker Sarah who is amongst those that prompted me to start writing mentioned it to me. And she rattled off the website to me in conversation, which of course means nothing since I didn't have anything to write it down with so I never remembered to look it up.

I considered it, but the truth is for what I'm hoping to accomplish and my writing method it perhaps wouldn't be the most productive. I want to write a full length novel, and I'm in the process of re-writing my outline that I had because I realized a far better beginning than where I'd originally plotted. Obviously, a novel is going to take longer than a month... especially considering the fact that I'm still re-learning my writing process, having not written consistently for several years. I've also learned that I can get far too caught up on self editting, so I have to finish a rough draft before I look back and start cleaning up the language and descriptions. My first drafts are very direct and straight forwards - few people would find them engaging. I liken my writing style to sculpting. On the first pass, I'm just carving away the basic shape out of the raw material. With each pass, I'm passing over the surface with finer and finer meaures, increasing the detail and definition each time. To have a chance with NaNoWriMo, I'd probably have to stick to a nice little novella where I could allow myself a chance to get a few re-writes in there before the end of the month.
Tied 1st Place of "What Would You Do To Win A Ma3 Contest" Contest (Aug '09) / Winner of Cutest Forumite Contest (Male Division) (Sept '09)
Winner of FRANKIES Awards Contest (Feb '10) Winner in Noms & Exemplary Divisions / Winner of 'The Contest For the Next Contest' Contest (Jul '10)
Winner of Wet T-Shirt Guys Division (Jul '10) / Winner of Lonely Hearts Contest (Feb '11)

Engy

Post by Engy »

I considered joining in, seeing as I write stories most of the time anyway.
It's the 50K words minimum that's kinda putting me off though. 30K, I could have managed, but 50K? My attention span doesn't quite allow me to write that much in such a short period of time. Only when I am insanely inspirational can I squeeze out more then 1K words per day (my record stands at 6 Chapters for one of my stories, which roughly translates to over 10K words, within one day). To be honest, I got zero inspiration at the moment.
Anyway, good luck. I have another friend who has joined the contest and needs occasional prodding to start writing.
Achievement Hunter, Software Engineer, retired competitive Team Fortress 2 Engineer, professional snarker.

Retiarius

Post by Retiarius »

I’d heard of it but by the time I did I was already well into writing a novel which was considerably beyond that 50 Kword count even then. It's currently at 34½ chapters, not quite 180,000 words (according to Microsoft Word 2000), and a bit over 570 pages (formatted as a paperback). I was hoping to have it done this month but I don’t think that’s going to happen. I’m looking at converting it to e-reader format but it’s more important to finish it first.
I think outside the tesseract.

Kamino Neko
Screaming Nekomimi

Post by Kamino Neko »

Well, it looks like I'm the only one, oh well...

Anyway, I've put links to my DA galleries for last year and this year's attempts in my sig if anyone's interested in reading them.

Radbaron
Forum FlyBoy
Location: North Sydney, Nova Scotia, Canada, North America, Erp, Sol System, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way Galaxy

Post by Radbaron »

I'd be doing NaNoWriMo, but I can't read.
Red Corsair of Questionable European Nobility.
And I need an avatar. <fixed>
668 , Neighbour of the Beast