Rolledback, rolled forward and merge

Down below, where the dead threads go.

Moderators: Don Alexander, midgetshrimp

Lord Styphon

Re: Rolledback, rolled forward and merge

Post by Lord Styphon »

The forum hasn't changed. It's simply been killed and had its flesh consumed by another in the name of business.

Looking around, you will see that the Pixie Trix forum, where you now are, is a larger, bustling community, with threads thousands of posts long and moderators who get very unhappy about quotes and who edit pertinent information into your post rather than putting said information in a new post like a normal person would.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

Lord Styphon wrote:who edit pertinent information into your post rather than putting said information in a new post like a normal person would.
Do you really want DA upping his post count even more by posting every time he edits somebody's post? Besides, IMHO editing the info into the post makes it easier on the user to see the pertinent information.
ETA: Also, with members like me who love to cause chaos, the "double post" and "quote" rules are necessary to keep us in line. Just a byproduct of being a "larger, bustling community".
ImageHEAD TECHNOLOGIST and GUARDIAN OF THE "THRONE".Image

CHIEF PROPHET OF CACAO, THE LORD AND GOD OF CHOCOLATIANITY

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

GothPoet
Non-Entity

Post by GothPoet »

Lord Styphon wrote:...like a normal person would.
A normal person? Do those even exist?
“It’s not an adventure if you don’t lose your shorts” - Hunter Gruntman (Klaus Besser)

No! That would be absurd! My whims are titanic in scope!

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Lilianna wrote:Do you really want DA upping his post count even more by posting every time he edits somebody's post? Besides, IMHO editing the info into the post makes it easier on the user to see the pertinent information.
Frankly, I don't give a damn about his post count, or anyone else's for that matter. A forum post count is just a number, and not a particularly important one. If he ups it by posting an answer to a question, it's no skin off my nose. Is there some reason I should care I am not aware of?

How, exactly, does editing posts better serve to get that information to someone than posting it in reply? Making a post has the advantage of showing the person in question that yes, someone answered their question rather than editing it in. Like here. I could, if I wanted to, edit this entire reply into your post. But I'm not going to, because that would be a stupid way to convey this information to you.

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

Well, I think that in any case of editing a post (in this case, moving it into a more appropriate thread, since we have - a s you have a noticed - a tradition of relatively few but long threads) by a mod, the mod should identify themselves and give the reason for editing the post. In this case, I just took a shortcut and also put in an answer... It's not something I do often, but if they go looking for their post, they'll immediately have an answer too.

Also, what the heck happened to the Gomanga people's post counts??? :-o :-\ I for sure did not do anything...
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

'twas just a joke concerning the fact that prior to the merge, over 50% of the forum's posts belonged to Dr. Doom over here. And honestly, there's a difference between replying to something I said and answering a question I asked. If I asked a question with a semi-permanent answer (for example, "how do I change my font color?"), if a mod happens to answer it by editing his answer directly into my post, later on down the road when I want the answer again I can just look through my posts. It's something that I feel we, as a community, have grown accustomed to and that you, as a relative outsider, are attacking through passive aggressiveness and by decreeing it to be "stupid".

FSU Class of 2014!
Ailith wrote:Yes, it was intimate, it was passionate, it was sensual, and it ended with a few orgasms. So yeah, counts as sex to me.

Adamas

Post by Adamas »

GothPoet wrote:
Lord Styphon wrote:...like a normal person would.
A normal person? Do those even exist?

Hmmm For that you would have to be able to quantify "Normal"...So the answer is a resounding NAY!
Aquila89 wrote:It's really nice how a conversation about linguistics overlaps with a debate about strap-ons.
A good friend comforts you and talks you down when you are angry. A best friend skips along side you, carrying a baseball bat, and chanting, ‘Somebody’s gonna get it!"
Chelvo56 wrote:Sorry, but when the sentence "It is wrong to go into a foreign country, take out your weapon and enforce your will there", coming from an US-diplomat, was generallly laughed at, you might want to think why.
And to keep for future reference: Image

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Don Alexander wrote:Well, I think that in any case of editing a post (in this case, moving it into a more appropriate thread, since we have - a s you have a noticed - a tradition of relatively few but long threads) by a mod, the mod should identify themselves and give the reason for editing the post.
And I am not objecting to that; that makes perfect sense. Putting the answer to the question in with that, though, does. It suggests they're not worth replying to. This goes double for people who wander in not knowing where the hell they are and have no way of knowing that editing answers into the original post is a valid way of doing business here.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

I should think that, with the sheer amount of replies this topic has received, dear kratos auron will be able to figure out that "editing answers into the original post is a valid way of doing business here", as you put it.

FSU Class of 2014!

Ravenhull
Not a Weirdo

Post by Ravenhull »

Adamas wrote:Hmmm For that you would have to be able to quantify "Normal"...So the answer is a resounding NAY!
Of course, lately its been a resounding 'Neigh!' :ymdevil:
"Don't call me a dirty old man.... Cuz I'm not old... I'm of a fine vintage..."
"Get your mind out the gutter... you're crowding me."

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Lilianna wrote:I should think that, with the sheer amount of replies this topic has received, dear kratos auron will be able to figure out that "editing answers into the original post is a valid way of doing business here", as you put it.
That's kind of my point.

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

If you and I have the same point, then why are we going back and forth about it?

FSU Class of 2014!

Lord Styphon

Post by Lord Styphon »

Because my point is that replying to the post to answer the question is the best way to convey information on a forum, and your point seems to be "this is how we do things here, STFU n00b".

Don Alexander
Dr. Ebil SithMod
Location: Under the arms of the ancient oak, where daylight hangs by a lunar noose...

Post by Don Alexander »

I think you are exaggerating a bit there, LS. ;)

anyway, I'll do you a favor. I'll send a PM to kratos auron, k?
ImageImage
Sithlord of the Sithling and best customer of McLovecraft's Image, in the business of keeping the little Platypus in business
Moderations in GREEN and signed by the DAMNed. I am not anonymous! Also, MODSMACK!! Image
Winner of the... 2010 Kilopost FRANKIE; 2010 Mad March Nom Off; 2010 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2010 Fan-Thing Contest; 2010 Mimic Contest (tied); 2011 Joker Cleavage Contest; 2011 Contest-for-the-next-Contest (tied)

Lilianna
The Disappearing One

Post by Lilianna »

To be more accurate, my point is "this is what this community is accustomed to and if it's what the community is accustomed to, then it's the best method". I'd like to think that I'm being a tad bit more respectful that "stfu n00b".

FSU Class of 2014!