2019-07-01 The End

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

Azrael
Mischief Maker

Re: 2019-07-01 The End

Post by Azrael »

As is attributed to P. T. Barnum: "Always leave them wanting more." Thanks for the comic, folks. It was fun.
Grand Low Maker of Mischief, Claw of Chaos, Fang of Anarchy

politics: n. pl. from the Grk polis, meaning many, and the OE ticia, meaning blood sucking insects.

Storm-forge mystique

Post by Storm-forge mystique »

...well, that was... random. Like banging dolls together.

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 am
Poor, Ingrid.

No, seriously - poor Ingrid! She seemed to really be into Cammi and was genuinely worried about her. To see that she lost Cammi to Sandra - a girl who played with Cammi's emotions before being shipped back to Montreal; a girl who never got in touch with any of her Paris friends and only happened to chance upon them when she headed back to Paris to throw her success into her former mentor's face - is rather disheartening.
ven wrote:
Mon Jul 01, 2019 9:27 am
A, standard ending, two girls get together, we don't talk about the males in this comic anymore since we don't like them anyway. Pierre who? Alex what? On top of that, this is rushed like hell, but whatever.

I feel like I'm done with this, the menagea3 followup was really unappealing for me so far,
Glad I'm not alone on this.
I get the feeling Ingrid knew the whole time how both Sandra and Cammi felt about each other. Cammi even says everyone knew in this last strip.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy »

At most, Ingrid would know Sandra was jealous of Cammi's relationship with her. But, knowing someone's jealous of what she had doesn't mean she's okay with Sandra claiming Cammi for herself when she finally decided to return to Paris.

If I have assume anything, Ingrid probably thought the relationship was over when Cammi took off shortly after Sandra was sent home.
Please, don't come to me expecting me to fix your problems.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

I love your work Eisu, your work on this strip qaw excellent!

And i'm happy this strip ended with Sandra and Cammi getting together.

Prydonian

Post by Prydonian »

You have got to be kidding me. I can’t believe I stuck with this comic long enough to see it end that way. I know the writing on this one has been all over the place, but this feels both random and gratuitous. I really should pay more attention to red flags... the writing just seems so sincere and the characters so good-natured (or at least blissfully unaware of when they’re being terrible, ala DiDi) and their world is so open-minded that I always expect the best, but they’ve made it abundantly clear over time that the only expression of sexuality they don’t believe in is straight, and that men in general are nearly surplus to requirements. This pairing rings utterly hollow to me, going all the way back to when DiDi and Sandra both declared they were straight after all. I was impressed back then that a comic that openly explores sexuality also regarded *not* being interested in the same sex as a valid way to be, but they’ve been backpedaling ever since.

Ugh... I guess this is where I get off. I’ve been checking the page every day for years, but the new Pixie Trix comic hasn’t introduced a likable character yet, so... whatever.

brasca

Post by brasca »

Would've written something sooner, but didn't have the time.

I like the ending although I wish this could've gone on longer and believe it could. Sandra's story got wrapped up nicely and Marie was delivered from Eva, but there were definitely some loose ends that I would've liked to see tied up. Firstly, my favorite character Lavali, I hope she found love quickly after Eva dumped her. It would've been amusing if it made no impact since she was already involved with Aania. Interestingly enough it's been a year and day since we last saw her so it would've been nice to get a mention during this last chapter. Marie's old school friends get a passing mention which is better than nothing. We know Marie didn't part on good terms so who knows how much drama there was. It seemed like Eloise and Nadine were continuing to see him even after the former succeeded in breaking up Pierre and Sandra so apparently there was some kind of appeal in all that. We didn't get too much development with Christophe and Penelope too and probably never will.

Thank you Eisu, Dave, T, and Giz for 8 great years. I can understand how taxing webcomics are so if this is your last project I'll miss you, but if not I look forward to whatever comes next.

Osaru Sensei
Location: Sweden, Europe, Earth, Sol System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, Local Group, Virgo Supercluster

Post by Osaru Sensei »

So cute.
Spidrift wrote:
Thu Jul 14, 2016 5:16 pm
She is indeed a wonderful artist who could doubtless turn her hand to anything, but from what I've seen, I don't get the feeling that she's very interested in depicting some of those bits in all their wrinkly Lovecraftian glory.
Wanna chat with me in realtime? Click my webpage button. In case I happen to be online, anyways...
He who sees his own doom can better avoid its path. He who sees the doom of others can deliver it. –– Eldrad Ulthran, Farseer of Ulthwé
The very moment I understood Callie was my fav character.
High Priestess in the Church of Brasca

Spidrift

Post by Spidrift »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:17 am
...a girl who never got in touch with any of her Paris friends...
I won’t argue with the rest of this, but blaming Sandra for not getting in touch with anyone in her year in Canada seems pointless. We just have to accept that Magic Zoé cast a spell that took Sandra home, put her back in her apartment, and made it impossible for her to contact Paris until she had fulfilled her geas and got rich and famous.

The fact that this is utter effing gibberish, and is a plot idea that wouldn’t have made sense any time since the creation of the international postal system, let alone international telephones or the Internet, is neither here nor there. The point is that Dave01 required this for his plot to work, and so it happened, despite the fact that he couldn’t actually think of a way to make it even faintly plausible.

(Not entirely his fault; nobody could. Though a good old Hollywood bump on the head might have made marginally more sense. What is Dave’s fault is fixating on this wrap-up plot despite it being innately gibberish.)

So blaming Sandra is pointless. Blame the creator of her universe. For once, that’s appropriate.
Prydonian wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 4:48 am
...but they’ve made it abundantly clear over time that the only expression of sexuality they don’t believe in is straight, and that men in general are nearly surplus to requirements. ... I was impressed back then that a comic that openly explores sexuality also regarded *not* being interested in the same sex as a valid way to be, but they’ve been backpedaling ever since.
Fanservice. Ironically, fanservice aimed largely at men. Frankly, the Pixietrix team do seem to have become increasingly inclined to play to the lowest common denominator of their fanbase over the years, and that’s the segment that thinks that girl on girl is hot.

Though funnily enough, the new comic has avoided that so far, and has even taken the piss out of fans of girl-on-girl action, a tiny bit. Unfortunately, it’s also avoiding having an interesting plot or entertaining characters so far.

But to avoid going out on a sour note, I should just say that I’ve really grown to like Eisu’s art in this comic. I’d love to see him given a better script.
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

OllieOrOlly

Post by OllieOrOlly »

Yeah, this end was not believable in the slightest. I mean, suspension of disbelief can allow spies, international thieves, and a guy getting brainwashed into thinking he was gay only to end up being fodder for the pegging shtick without blinking (it would get full rant territory to go down that path, so skipping over that), are all one thing, however... Sandra and Cammi being the OTP? Hell, perhaps it could've been done, but other than being drunk - at which time Sandra seemed down to F just about anyone - Sandra's attraction to Cammi seemed like a woman-crush at most, and Cammi seemed intrigued but not seriously hopeful. Point being, there is some dramatic character development that happened off-screen, and also maybe wasn't delivered effectively, thus making this ending feel out of left field, regardless of some isolated incidents that could be cited as seeds for growth (yet, truly, they never felt like they grew).
A bit of a tangent about Cammi's hetereocheomia - I can understand weird self-esteem issues, but having mismatched eyes feels like something that would fit well in the fashion world, rather than being an "imperfection" to hide. Just feels like a last second attempt to create a sense of vulnerability in a character that never really had any.
I will say this comic caught interest well enough during the madcap adventures (friends waking on deserted tropical island was pretty fun!), but when it tried to address serious relationship and sexuality (aforementioned young man basically getting gaslit into debauchery because "LOL"), it stumbled quite significantly. I'll admit, I didn't like the later inexplicable "blockbuster" movie genre juggling, but in hindsight, maybe if it remained at that same level of absurdity, it would've been more fun overall.
Unlike Dangerously Chloe, I don't think there was an abandonment of interest from the creative team, rather we saw the effects of the team overextending its stamina (if that makes sense). Although, there were times when it seemed like kink and fanservice were exploited for the sake of them, as opposed to being carefully thought out developments.

To borrow above's positive end - I too grew to like the art style. Initially, I wasn't quite into it, but it did win me over with its unique twists. Indeed, hopefully, the artist will be given far better material to work with in the future.

Eisu

Post by Eisu »

LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 am
Yawn...

I wish I could say I was happy about this ending but I'm not. I've nothing against Sandra or Cammi but I'm not invested in them as a couple and this ending is painfully, obviously rushed. Reminds me of Avengers: Endgame, ironically enough, in that the ending of that movie had a few things about it that I wasn't cool with, and one moment in particular stank of the film-makers just wanting to end on a certain shot slash note, and nuts to everything else as long as they could have it.

Oh, and I'm not sure who you think you've been fooling by posting these strips with phony dates of release. This strip has had severe schedule slip and I'd have more respect for you if you would be upfront about that.
What the HELL are you talking about fooling anyone? I didn't backdate the comic to fool anyone you stupid ass, I did it cos those were the dates it was supposed to go up, I didn't do it for anyone but ME, not for you, not for other readers cos guess what shitface? PEOPLE CAN SEE THAT THE SCHEDULE SLIP HAPPENED WHEN IT DIDN'T GO UP ON THE DATE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. But it WAS supposed to go up on those dates so I wanted to date it on the date it was supposed to go up, not because I was fooling people, shit for brains. I don't care if I get banned for this post, I feel extremely angry that you think I did that purposely to fool anyone, I DID NOT SHITHEAD. I DID IT FOR MY OWN REASONS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYONE ELSE, NOT YOU, NOT DAVE, NOT THE READERS, NOT THE FANS. I did it to tell myself how badly I screwed up not finishing it on the time it was supposed to go up, so FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.

DocMesa

Post by DocMesa »

*hugs Eisu*

For what its worth, this has been one of my favourite of the Pixie Trix comics. I feel the story could have benefitted from a bit more breathing space and pacing in the final chapter but I loved the sassiness, backstabbing and shenanigans of the characters . Your artwork really made the characters come to life.

Out of curiosity, how long did you know about Cammi's eye colours for?

JoybuzzerX

Post by JoybuzzerX »

Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:53 am
At most, Ingrid would know Sandra was jealous of Cammi's relationship with her. But, knowing someone's jealous of what she had doesn't mean she's okay with Sandra claiming Cammi for herself when she finally decided to return to Paris.

If I have assume anything, Ingrid probably thought the relationship was over when Cammi took off shortly after Sandra was sent home.
Cammi was so devastated by Sandra being kicked out, I'd say Ingrid knew just how Cammi felt about Sandra.

And if they did both love each other, a year apart shouldn't change that. I'm a bit surprised that people would think it would.

Cortez

Post by Cortez »

JoybuzzerX wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am

Cammi was so devastated by Sandra being kicked out, I'd say Ingrid knew just how Cammi felt about Sandra.
Yeah, it honestly seemed like she was well aware of Cammi's feelings for Sandra.

LegendaryKroc

Post by LegendaryKroc »

Eisu wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 9:56 am
LegendaryKroc wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:42 am
Yawn...

I wish I could say I was happy about this ending but I'm not. I've nothing against Sandra or Cammi but I'm not invested in them as a couple and this ending is painfully, obviously rushed. Reminds me of Avengers: Endgame, ironically enough, in that the ending of that movie had a few things about it that I wasn't cool with, and one moment in particular stank of the film-makers just wanting to end on a certain shot slash note, and nuts to everything else as long as they could have it.

Oh, and I'm not sure who you think you've been fooling by posting these strips with phony dates of release. This strip has had severe schedule slip and I'd have more respect for you if you would be upfront about that.
What the HELL are you talking about fooling anyone? I didn't backdate the comic to fool anyone you stupid ass, I did it cos those were the dates it was supposed to go up, I didn't do it for anyone but ME, not for you, not for other readers cos guess what shitface? PEOPLE CAN SEE THAT THE SCHEDULE SLIP HAPPENED WHEN IT DIDN'T GO UP ON THE DATE IT WAS SUPPOSED TO. But it WAS supposed to go up on those dates so I wanted to date it on the date it was supposed to go up, not because I was fooling people, shit for brains. I don't care if I get banned for this post, I feel extremely angry that you think I did that purposely to fool anyone, I DID NOT SHITHEAD. I DID IT FOR MY OWN REASONS THAT HAS NOTHING TO DO WITH ANYONE ELSE, NOT YOU, NOT DAVE, NOT THE READERS, NOT THE FANS. I did it to tell myself how badly I screwed up not finishing it on the time it was supposed to go up, so FUCK YOU ASSHOLE.
/:)

Look, Eisu, mate... I'm sorry my post upset you, but yelling at me is not going to change what happened. And you know that. If whatever mental health issues you have over missing the scheduled upload dates are so severe that this is how you respond to allegations of ulterior motives, then my sincere suggestion is that you need to get professional help with them, because this is not a good sign.
JoybuzzerX wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:11 am
Fluffy wrote:
Tue Jul 02, 2019 2:53 am

And if they did both love each other, a year apart shouldn't change that. I'm a bit surprised that people would think it would.
A year is a bloody long time, mate. A lot can happen in a week or even a month, never mind a year. Sure, the feelings might linger, but the idea that time apart could lead to Cammi moving on with her life after coming to terms with what happened with Sandra doesn't sound in any way implausible to me.