2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Discuss SOTR here!

Moderators: Dave Zero1, Giz, Eisu

User avatar
rogermart
Posts: 536
Joined: Sat Oct 08, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by rogermart » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:30 pm

Cortez wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:37 am
So you're saying that Zoe probably stopped keeping track of Sandra after Marie slapped her? If it's option b i mean.
I'm saying that maybe the plan 37-B was put the model on probation, see if she can handle herself and learns her lesson, but maybe after Marie slapped Zoé she either said "I'm too old for this shit", or started thinking that maybe she had no idea how to handle protégés (and potential ones) either way she was done with protégés, including Sandra...

Of course this is pure speculation, and right now option a) is more likely.
That's what i do... i drink and i know things...

Gotoh
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Gotoh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm

RConrad wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:21 pm
She was a prospect, more than anything.

No contract or anything. But to be passed over and land a modeling gig without going through any known proper channels, and later to learn it was all because of your rival? That'd definitely anger a person more calm and rational than Zoe.
Eva used a similar pitch to Zoé's, she said Marie was a natural.

If Zoé's upset that Marie didn't go through the proper channels, then she's just as guilty. Besides, Marie was doing mo-cap work for DM Games before she met Zoé, so Zoé should've considered that Marie already had some experience with modelling. If Zoé recognized her potential, then making her wait had the potential to do more harm than good in the long-run.

Granted, we know Eva's only using Marie, but that's beside the point. Because a more benign talent agency could just as easily have given Marie the same opportunity and she'd probably have a more gracious attitude, since she'd be free from Eva's influence.

RConrad
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by RConrad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:58 pm

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm
RConrad wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:21 pm
She was a prospect, more than anything.

No contract or anything. But to be passed over and land a modeling gig without going through any known proper channels, and later to learn it was all because of your rival? That'd definitely anger a person more calm and rational than Zoe.
Eva used a similar pitch to Zoé's, she said Marie was a natural.

If Zoé's upset that Marie didn't go through the proper channels, then she's just as guilty. Besides, Marie was doing mo-cap work for DM Games before she met Zoé, so Zoé should've considered that Marie already had some experience with modelling. If Zoé recognized her potential, then making her wait had the potential to do more harm than good in the long-run.

Granted, we know Eva's only using Marie, but that's beside the point. Because a more benign talent agency could just as easily have given Marie the same opportunity and she'd probably have a more gracious attitude, since she'd be free from Eva's influence.
We also have to remember that Zoe promised Marie she'd give her opportunities to model professionally 'after she graduated.'

It's never been stated in any of the strips beforehand, but that statement meant they talked about it further after the proposition was first made.

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by brasca » Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Spidrift wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:19 am
This does all look rather tortuous. Ingrid wants the angry, emotionally confused Marie to listen to her, and she thinks that becoming a model herself ... will cause Marie to see her as an equal ... and therefore cause her to listen. And then, Zoé says no, because she's done with protégés, so Ingrid changes her mind by ... cutting off her long hair, which was certainly nice, but which hadn't previously ever been mentioned as an issue by either Zoé or Ingrid.

Uh, wuh?

If we'd had an actual story, instead of a summary flashback, all this might have been made vaguely plausible, or at least masked by adequate amounts of hand-waving. But as it is, frankly, my suspension of disbelief has snapped.
And yet you can believe Marie’s downward spiral is attributed to her childhood crush not seeing her as more than a friend?

User avatar
vampire hunter D
Posts: 4018
Joined: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:19 pm
Location: Jasoom

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by vampire hunter D » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 pm

wow, looks like the hatedom that infests the other pixietrix comics discussions has made its way here
Pointless arguing is one of the three pillars upon which the Internet is built. The other two are of course cat pictures and porn.

User avatar
brasca
Posts: 3514
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2011 6:04 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by brasca » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:43 pm

vampire hunter D wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:19 pm
wow, looks like the hatedom that infests the other pixietrix comics discussions has made its way here
Sad, but true. At least it’ll be easier to abandon this forum after the last strip ends.

User avatar
Cortez
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Cortez » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 pm

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 5:22 pm

If Zoé's upset that Marie didn't go through the proper channels, then she's just as guilty. Besides, Marie was doing mo-cap work for DM Games before she met Zoé, so Zoé should've considered that Marie already had some experience with modelling. If Zoé recognized her potential, then making her wait had the potential to do more harm than good in the long-run.

Granted, we know Eva's only using Marie, but that's beside the point. Because a more benign talent agency could just as easily have given Marie the same opportunity and she'd probably have a more gracious attitude, since she'd be free from Eva's influence.
Mocapisn't modeling.

And working for Eva isn't besides the point, it part of why Marie's going on a self destructive Bender.

User avatar
Spidrift
Posts: 12758
Joined: Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:11 pm

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Spidrift » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:16 pm

brasca wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 6:51 pm
And yet you can believe Marie’s downward spiral is attributed to her childhood crush not seeing her as more than a friend?
Uh, pardon? I didn’t realise that was a major point of contention.

Anyhow, I’m sure that everyone’s suspension of disbelief has its own critical breaking triggers. Am I alone in finding this one strip a bit arbitrary, though?
---------
Spidrift
"Brevior vita est quam pro futumentibus negotium agendo."
-- Motto of Hogshead Publishing of fond memory, and wise words to set your Foes List by.
Avatar misappropriated from the wonderful XKCD.

Gotoh
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Gotoh » Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm

Cortez wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 pm
Mocap isn't modeling.
Yes it is. That's what the bodysuits and motion sensors are for. How else do you think the character movement, facial expressions, and lip syncing are so lifelike in the new Tomb Raider series? It's because SquareEnix had the voice actors act out their parts. The work Marie was doing for DM Games was probably similar.

It isn't the same as runway modelling, but those bodysuits leave little to the imagination and she has to perform for an entire studio of animators who're studying every inch of her figure, so they can accurately replicate it along with her movements, for her character. Different audience, different venue, but she was still modelling.

RConrad
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by RConrad » Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm

Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm
Cortez wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:13 pm
Mocap isn't modeling.
Yes it is. That's what the bodysuits and motion sensors are for. How else do you think the character movement, facial expressions, and lip syncing are so lifelike in the new Tomb Raider series? It's because SquareEnix had the voice actors act out their parts. The work Marie was doing for DM Games was probably similar.

It isn't the same as runway modelling, but those bodysuits leave little to the imagination and she has to perform for an entire studio of animators who're studying every inch of her figure, so they can accurately replicate it along with her movements, for her character. Different audience, different venue, but she was still modelling.
Motion Capture is a different art form, like how painting is different from sculpting. They're similar, but not comparable. Mocap doesn't rely on you looking pretty in a dress. It relies on you having the right physical shape and abilities to do what's requested of you.

User avatar
Cortez
Posts: 2262
Joined: Tue Dec 25, 2012 8:53 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Cortez » Sat Sep 29, 2018 12:42 am

Exactly. To say otherwise is ridiculous.

Gotoh
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Gotoh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:46 am

RConrad wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm
Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm
It isn't the same as runway modelling, but.

Different audience, different venue, but she was still modelling.
Motion Capture is a different art form, like how painting is different from sculpting. They're similar, but not comparable.
I don't see why they can't be compaired.

For example: game designers may need a model with a certain "look" for the character they're portraying. Runway and swimsuit models also need to have a certain "look" to pull off the fashion they're wearing. For Lara, Square Enix needed someone athletic, whereas Domenico took an interest in Sandra because of her freckles.

RConrad
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by RConrad » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:30 am

Gotoh wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 1:46 am
RConrad wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 11:19 pm
Gotoh wrote:
Fri Sep 28, 2018 10:52 pm
It isn't the same as runway modelling, but.

Different audience, different venue, but she was still modelling.
Motion Capture is a different art form, like how painting is different from sculpting. They're similar, but not comparable.
I don't see why they can't be compaired.

For example: game designers may need a model with a certain "look" for the character they're portraying. Runway and swimsuit models also need to have a certain "look" to pull off the fashion they're wearing. For Lara, Square Enix needed someone athletic, whereas Domenico took an interest in Sandra because of her freckles.
But they don't have to be photogenic, or have to look like the intended character. Mocap is meant to capture the movements of the body, and nothing more. Modelling is a different beast.

Gotoh
Posts: 3989
Joined: Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:18 pm

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by Gotoh » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:47 am

@RConrad: That depends on the model, their degree of exposure, and popularity.

Camilla Luddington (Lara's mo-cap model/voice actress) is very photogenic and even did part of this year's E3 presentation for 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider'. She was also present at Square Enix's booth during photo shoots and interviews to promote it. Sound familiar?

RConrad
Posts: 70
Joined: Fri Jan 12, 2018 12:20 am

Re: 2018-09-11 I could become a model too

Post by RConrad » Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:56 am

Gotoh wrote:
Sat Sep 29, 2018 2:47 am
@RConrad: That depends on the model, their degree of exposure, and popularity.

Lara's mo-cap model/voice actress is very photogenic and even did part of this year's E3 presentation for 'Shadow of the Tomb Raider'. She was also present at Square Enix's booth during photo shoots and interviews to promote it. Sound familiar?
End of the day, Marie's time as a mocap model at Dark Matter was a part-time job. She lacked any other experience as a model - especially as a fashion model, but Zoe saw she could be one.

Post Reply